Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #61
Izack
Non sequitur

I'm not arguing! Whatever you do, it'll turn out awesome!
Actually your idea of an in-game configurator sounds very attractive. I'm just itching to fly this thing!
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #62
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Hi Moach,

I'll ask my question again, since it seemed to be overlooked in my previous post... or I have missed your reply somewhow. Anyway, what are the current dimensions of this ship? I'm working on a new Ascension and would hate for it not to fit. Currently the base is being designed to accommodate the XR5, so I'm guessing your bird will fit too, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Cheers.
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #63
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

uh... i dont have exact measurements yet... i started modelling from the stock DG, so its all been on a comparison basis up to this point...

im not sure about the exact dimentions of the DG either... but i used the "Martin" inside its cockpit to get a "human size" reference... when i get back home ill measure it up in detail - but mind that dimensions may change during development, since im pretty much making this up as i go along

and yeah, it is MY ship... i can do whatever i want with it... it just so happens that i wanna do a variable-configuration ship, for Earth and around missions

BTW: i just thought it would be neat to have the upper inlet doors double as the retro-thruster doors - imagine a dual pivot motion, if it pivots down from the front edge, the inlet opens, and if it pivots up from the rear edge, the retros mounted below the front edge extend - cool huh?
Moach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #64
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

Alright, were making good progress here... DLL seems ok, now with working thrusters, RCS and a couple of test animations...

i was wondering, though... about the position of the bank thrusters... the wingtips have too shallow a profile to house perpendicularly mounted thrusters... so i was wondering if placing them closer to root would have any impact on their effectiveness...

it seems logical(ish) that the further i place them from the CG, the less effort it would take to cause a roll.... but thinking energy-wise, the amount of energy being released is the same, so wont the smaller motion radius of root-mounted thrusters compensate for the higher torque of tip-mounted ones?

it got me thinking....
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #65
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

give me a lever big enough and I will lift the world out of its hinges...

thrusters further from the center ARE more effective to induce a rolling motion. however, manouverability isn't really the priority one concern in an SSTO, so the placement of the rcs thrusters will be subordinated to other engineering concerns.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #66
vonneuman
Orbinaut

The one form the first post is the coollest version. Go with that one. Great ship
vonneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #67
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

Ok... time to show where were standing....

here it is - with some new details:

some moving parts are now working, the bay doors and nose cone can now be operated - the upper inlets open and close (according to throttle, for now, until i get some proper systems going)

this shot came out kinda dark, but you can see some of the RCS jets firing:

and here are the new engines going at it - "full blast and top down" - as Van Halen would say

perhaps i should do something about those exhaust textures... these default ones are clipping through the model.... any ideas on how to fix that?

now, for some technical *cough*sci-fi*cough* details....

the engines you see working there are the turborockets i spoke of earlier - in space, the inlets stay closed and internal oxidizer is used... the upper inlets are open on the first "stage" of flight to allow external o2 to flow in...

for those who would argue as to the placement of those inlets - see this -

now imagine the cross-breed of a rocket and that (kinda like a sabre engine, but not quite) - these will operate up to mach 1.5~2.0 (and FL600)

by then, the magic starts - were not at scram-worthy speed yet, but ram-jets could already kick in at this point - do we need another set of engines?

no!

the answer is the revolutionary RAMCASTER (RAM-Combustor-with-Adapative-Sonic-Thrust-Efficiency-Range) engine

a true marvel of made-up engeneering the concept is that at low mach numbers, the RAMCASTER functions as a ram-jet, maintaining efficiency up to mach 5~6 - at that point - a couple of clever relay valves switch up and the engine assumes a scram-jet configuration, allowing it to proceed to around mach 20

then the turborocket engines go into play again, this time on internal oxidizer to cover the remaining delta-v for orbit

now... if you still think im full of it - check this out -

usage of external tanks and disposable JATO rockets allows ascents with heavy payloads and trips to the moon

small vertically mounted thrusters allow lunar operations (not yet installed)

all this is possible due to the use of highly advanced, nano-engineered materials on most of the crafts components - which would be unusably heavy if built with todays materials - even the windows are made of translucent ceramics (yes, that really does exist) which allow them to withstand the abuse of scram flight

the cockpit is also coming along nicely, but i havent exported it yet, so i dont have pictures

well, thats it so far.... ill let ya know when i have more

Last edited by Moach; 04-14-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #68
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

AW-SOME!!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #69
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Very nice, I'm sure the smiles upon your work!
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #70
docabn
Orbinaut

very impressive!
I cannot wait to fly that thing.
docabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #71
Ashaman42
Orbinaut

Looking very good.

How will you deal with the oxidizer tank, change the isp of the fuel or have a second tank (either another propellant resource or a separately coded 'tank' like the O2 in the dgiv/xr series)?
Ashaman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #72
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonneuman View Post
 The one form the first post is the coollest version. Go with that one. Great ship
I'll second that.

Either way, this ship looks awesome. I can't wait to fly her.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #73
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

yeah... i had thought of using a tiny "main" tank as a sort of "carburator", and simulate fuel flow through it... should work, i guess...

but maybe changing the ISP would have be a more versatile approach... dunno, i havent gotten that far yet...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #74
Fabri91
Donator

This really looks great! Can't wait to try it out!
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #75
Moach
Crazy dude with a rocket

Ok... heres the VC...

i finally got the hud and mfd's showing properly... the hud is doing well, i even got some extra flight data showing in there...
the MFDs are working and all... but no buttons yet... for some reason i can't seem to get my textures to appear... (i wanted to get them to at least show up before i try using GDI functions on them)

ive saved them in .dds format (DXT1 binary alpha) and yet, the planes where they should appear turn up untextured -- ive double checked the .msh file, and the texture entry is there, pointing at the correct file and folder... what could it be now?...

oh well... at least the rest of it is working...

that third MFD really does look like it could come in handy.... ive always thought that 2 was a not quite sufficient at times... specially when on reentries and other "dense" maneuvers... so my ship has a third...
the extra info on the HUD should help a bit too...

its gonna be most fun when i get to the part when i get to make up the systems and how they play out during flight... she's gonna be a tricky one to fly (specially on launch with the ramcasters and air-breathing rockets)

hydraulics, eletric systems, cabin atmosphere and other cool stuff should be simulated as well... and catastrophic failure is always an option

but first things first... any thoughts on why the textures arent showing up?

cheerz

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

alright... got the textures showing now... not sure what i did, but its working now...

i re-save the dds textures using paint.net (the poor man's photoshop) and it seems to be working... which is funny, considering it wasn't when i saved it using photoshop itself

oh well... if it works, it works...
let's see if i can get some redraw going later today... still got some real-life work ahead of me, before i can sit down with my ship again...

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development