Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

You know, for a show with such dumb science, it really did have the coolest-looking space vehicles.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
4throck
Enthusiast !

I think it's the Apollo like RCS thrusters and engine bells that make the Eagles realistic. The cockpit is also not that different from the early shuttle studies.
Disregarding the nonsense about lasers, force fields and being capable of reentry, the Eagle does make sense in a moon like environment.
More than say, Galactica's Vipers .
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
dougkeenan
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 I think it's the Apollo like RCS thrusters and engine bells that make the Eagles realistic. The cockpit is also not that different from the early shuttle studies.
Disregarding the nonsense about lasers, force fields and being capable of reentry, the Eagle does make sense in a moon like environment.
More than say, Galactica's Vipers .
Right. You can tell an orbinaut didn't design the Eagle though, there's no RCS to translate side-to-side.
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
4throck
Enthusiast !

LOL, well, we can always add some wires to suspend the models in Orbiter. I'm sure that will get the movement right!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
the.punk
Advanced Orbinaut

Thumbs up

Cool. Your new repaints look very nice. Also I like the idea of replacing moonbase alpha. Keep up the good work.
the.punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougkeenan View Post
 Right. You can tell an orbinaut didn't design the Eagle though, there's no RCS to translate side-to-side.
The Eagle doesn't need the RCS to translate side-to-side: it only takes Alan Carter or John Koenig and some antagonist to fisticuff it up in the central module.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
4throck
Enthusiast !

I've managed to put the Space 1999 stuff onto their own solar system config, and this makes things easier to manage. Also, I'm integrating the different addons into a single test scenario. Really fun to drive the buggy near the Eagles!

The best part is integration with Orulex. I'm using a moon config with a slightly smaller radius, so that the Orulex terrain is added. This way, you can land anywhere, but bases must be placed inside deep craters. Also, autopilots like LOLA might crash you into the terrain. From my point of view, this makes the simulation part fun, as you really have to control the spacecraft for the actual touchdown.
Because of that I might put some bases with invisible pads on easy to land places. Some sort of navigational beacons. You could autopilot to those and then fly the last few kilometers from there or EVA. I'm thinking about the nuclear disposal areas, were you should land in the vicinity.

If someone wants to take a look at the moon's topography (Google Moon) and start to scout out the necessary places, that would be helpful! As I mentioned before, Alpha and the Nuclear Waste Areas need to be moved if we want to recreate the original visuals.

As it is, the current placement of Alpha inside Plato (the base config was changed to remove the crater meshes, so all terrain is Orulex), gives this view:

Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #23
4throck
Enthusiast !

Just to show you how the pad and spacedock look like when repainted (some of Alpha's walls also have new texturing). I'm using some stills from the high definition remasters as a guide to colors. That's why the pad in more towards red and not orange.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
gattispilot
Addon Developer

TARDIS EFFECT:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

I have an Eagle that is Ummu capable. The hatches on the module open just to see the airlock open. I am waiting for Ummu 2.0 to be complete.

Moonbase Alpha to be functional in orbiter might work. But because of the angle of the pads then you would have to do some attachment vector work. That is why the Marsbase Alpha has it pads at right angles. The moonbase top is actual at the surface that is why you can walk on the top of the pads.
gattispilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #25
4throck
Enthusiast !

One of the things I might look into updating is the current Alpha astronaut. I think I have some photos I can use to give more detail to the spacesuit. But one thing at a time.

It might be interesting to create Nuclear disposal area 2 monitoring depot with interiors so that at least in theory some sort of first person exploration would be possible. It's something I might do in the future, much more manageable for a single man team than a full base.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
gattispilot
Addon Developer

The UMMU buggies have an Space 1999 UMMU. It is crude.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
4throck
Enthusiast !

Yes, but I like it. Lots of fun to drive the buggy around the the Eagles.
My 3D skills are not that good but I may try to do a better mesh as a way to learn some more modeling techniques.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #28
gattispilot
Addon Developer

ok. What what really be good is transfer of UMMu without being docked. Then you could move the crew from a module to the Eagle head.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #29
4throck
Enthusiast !

Nice Eagle interior ! Some texturing would be nice though, but as long as it works, it's enough for me.

For my part, here's what I'm thinking on using for a cockpit:

The basic layout is there and I just need to position the seats in a way that makes some sense regarding the door, instrument panels and maximizes the outside view. I'll take some liberties with that.
All rest follows more or less the series set with some simplification. The front panel is not 100% correct, as I couldn't find enough good images to fully cover it. The side panel is better.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

The front panel could use a view of the glare shields outside the windows, but it looks good. I like the 70s-tech instrument panel with the little crt.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development