Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #286
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Here's some historical Apollo/Saturn-era footage of the Crawler. Noteworthy things are the original color of the transporters (a pale mustard-yellow color, before they reconsidered and went with a battleship grey color) and the original driver cabin configuration, complete with the original control joysticsk instead of the small steering wheel used starting with the shuttle program.

https://images.nasa.gov/details-KSC-...ge-B_2309.html
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #287
GLS
Addon Developer
 
GLS's Avatar
Default

BTW: if you're looking at the Crawler, please don't work the vc mesh, as I'd done changes in it. The main mesh should have plenty of work though: cabs and their glass out of place, and of course, hidden triangles by the bucket load.
I was expecting to have the new ground moving logic, vc rework, vc-to-"central logic" rewire, and "central-logic" rework finished by now, but there are still a few things to iron out so sometime this week it should be finished.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #288
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Photo of a CT back in the A/S days: https://images.nasa.gov/details-KSC-...wlerway31.html
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #289
GLS
Addon Developer
 
GLS's Avatar
Default

DaveS, are you working the Crawler tracks? If not, I need to shift them so they are centered, thus one offset is needed... and hopefully help in fixing the issues I'm getting in getting this thing up the pad ramp.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 AM   #290
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Not currently working on the trucks. The proper offset to use in the X-axis should be 13.176 m or 45'.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #291
GLS
Addon Developer
 
GLS's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Not currently working on the trucks. The proper offset to use in the X-axis should be 13.176 m or 45'.
Ok, thanks.
I think after I do that I'll commit an initial version, still with the ramp issue (which looks more and more like animation trouble), and also missing scenario parameters and MLP testing. This way I can hop off to the Orbiter.msh to finally see how things are there.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Not currently working on the trucks. The proper offset to use in the X-axis should be 13.176 m or 45'.
Are you sure? The corners are centered at 13.58725 (average).
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #292
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Ok, thanks.
I think after I do that I'll commit an initial version, still with the ramp issue (which looks more and more like animation trouble), and also missing scenario parameters and MLP testing. This way I can hop off to the Orbiter.msh to finally see how things are there.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------


Are you sure? The corners are centered at 13.58725 (average).
That's one of the many flaws with the current mesh(es). They're not properly sized. I'm working on a set of new ones that are much more accurate but it has been slow going due to the need to remove all those hidden triangles. Particularly hard is the catwalk handrails due to to their small diameter. In fact, I've decided to scrap the original ones and just create new ones using the old ones as guides.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #293
GLS
Addon Developer
 
GLS's Avatar
Default

Just uploaded the initial round of Crawler fixes for Orbiter 2016!
Missing are LDS (don't know the status of it), scenario load/save, fixing the cabin mesh positions and glass windows, documentation, plus some small adjustments.

Important changes: only one cabin can be in control at a time, so the "Cab Ack" PBI is used to select the cabin, and if it is the only one selected, it is then in control as indicated by the lights. Honestly, I have no idea how the control was decided in the real one, but this makes much more sense, compared with the lack of control of the previous version.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

BTW: I added a OTS vessel for testing... given that it doesn't fit the OV mesh, and it is probably twice as graphically expensive as it needed to be, for now it will remain just for testing.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #294
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Tested the OTS, and it needs some work on the steering. It should turn like a normal car, not like a tank. And the two Crawler scenarios just CTDs, no error messages at all so I can't test it.

This video of the STS-121 roll over shows how the OTS handles:


Last edited by DaveS; 07-11-2019 at 07:39 AM.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #295
GLS
Addon Developer
 
GLS's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Tested the OTS, and it needs some work on the steering. It should turn like a normal car, not like a tank. And the two Crawler scenarios just CTDs, no error messages at all so I can't test it.

This video of the STS-121 roll over shows how the OTS handles:

Discovery Rollover to the VAB - YouTube
You are probably using the "turn in place" feature of the SurfaceRoving class*, because I forgot to mention what keys to use...
So (all numpad):
8 = +1m/s (forward)
2 = -1m/s

7 = 2 left
9 = 2 right

1 = left turn in place
3 = right turn in place

Like I said, I made this just for testing (actually keys 1 and 3 initially controlled aft steering), and there is much work to be done to bring it to "release status"... no point in releasing (another) half-finished vessel.

*) it's a good time to mention that it is based on Fred18's GeneralVehicle.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #296
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Here's a fact sheet on the OTS from an old KSC PAO document on the various transporters that was used for the shuttle program. It should help in getting the OTS correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTS facts.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	16711  
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #297
DaveS
Addon Developer
 
DaveS's Avatar


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 And the two Crawler scenarios just CTDs, no error messages at all so I can't test it.
Traced this to XRSound. With the OrbiterSound/XRSound bridge module enabled, I get the CTDs. Disabling it allows the scenarios to load successfully. But of course, without any sound from the crawler. And it looks like the LDS is still fully operational.

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-20-19 at 06:21 PM ----------

Checked the Crawler out some more, it seems like the CAB IN CONTROL logic is not part of the saving/loading function so you need to remember to activate which ever cab is supposed to be in control.

Also, the gauges are a bit dark, any way these can be lit up better? I'm talking abut the actual displays and not the physical hardware. Also, when in the 2 steering mode, the steering gauges shifts to showing only fractions of degree not the fully thing. So the leading digit is omitted so the gauges only show .xx instead of x.xx. Also the positive/negative signs look a bit distended.

Another nice thing to have would be to have the generators actually exhaust through the exhaust pipes. Especially on start up as the generators run on high-sulfuric content diesel so there's quite the noticeable black cloud of smoke.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #298
GLS
Addon Developer
 
GLS's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Checked the Crawler out some more, it seems like the CAB IN CONTROL logic is not part of the saving/loading function so you need to remember to activate which ever cab is supposed to be in control.

Also, the gauges are a bit dark, any way these can be lit up better? I'm talking abut the actual displays and not the physical hardware. Also, when in the 2 steering mode, the steering gauges shifts to showing only fractions of degree not the fully thing. So the leading digit is omitted so the gauges only show .xx instead of x.xx. Also the positive/negative signs look a bit distended.

Another nice thing to have would be to have the generators actually exhaust through the exhaust pipes. Especially on start up as the generators run on high-sulfuric content diesel so there's quite the noticeable black cloud of smoke.
The load/save is still to be done, and it might have to wait awhile as fixing the Orbiter.msh (and others) is by far the top priority, and it seems I'll be with that until the winter.

As for particle streams, it probably would not work very well with time acceleration...

As for the rest, any work will be done along with the load/save work.
GLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Reply

  Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Quick Links Need Help?


About Us | Rules & Guidelines | TOS Policy | Privacy Policy

Orbiter-Forum is hosted at Orbithangar.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2017, Orbiter-Forum.com. All rights reserved.