Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Announcements
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Announcements Orbiter-Forum Staff Members will post announcements about the website here.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #46
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 I made a test board for this, I'll have to dig it out so you can see it.

It turns out the one I made wasn't working very well, so I made a new one.

It's made from a reasonably old forum backup, because I couldn't be bothered extracting and decrypting another one (it takes about an hour and a half).

https://of-phpbb-test.orbiter-radio....hpBB/index.php

(You might need to reset your password with it, because they don't port over in the database conversion)
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #47
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 2) The case of the mathematician Keith from Hong Kong:
Keith, having posted many mathematical derivations and ideas, decided to delete all of his posts for an unknown reason. Your hypothesis – he got annoyed by one or more members. My hypothesis – he could have been persecuted by the Chinese government. Whoever is right on this one, I think it is his choice whether he wants to keep his posts or not. Your argumentation was, that as soon as he posts something on the O-F, it becomes the property of O-F (sic!) So are you a non-profit organization, or do you collect value in form of posts’ content as a forum asset, assuming it’s yours to take?
If he's asking to delete his posts under duress from the Chinese government, or if they obtained his password by rubber-hose cryptanalysis and are now impersonating him and asking for his posts to be taken down, that's all the more reason *not* to delete the posts: if China wants to censor the Web within their borders, fine, but allowing them to censor content stored outside of China for users not located in China can only end badly.

And, in general, I don't think it's good policy for forums to honor deletion requests without a court order in the jurisdiction the site is hosted in: otherwise a third party that gained access to an account could request deletion of posts, and if the breach wasn't caught within the time scope of the forum's backups, the posts would be gone forever. A court order at least establishes that the plaintiff can be established to be the account holder to the court's satisfaction.

Even without unauthorized third party access, there's also the complication of posts quoted by other users: either you leave posts that quote the deleted posts intact, in which case the content is at least partially still there, or else you excise the quotes, which is likely to be difficult to do automatically and leaves the quoting posts missing context (and, arguably creates room for the quoting users to complain that their posts are being edited without their permission and without any TOS violation), or you remove the quoting posts entirely, which deals with the "missing context" bit, though it might lead to a chain reaction which blanks entire threads, and it makes the potential for other users to feel aggrieved even worse.

I have other opinions on the matter, but they're definitely in basement territory, plus, I don't really want to expend the energy to argue them right now.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #48
Xyon

For completeness on the migration testing, I present another version of the board, in a sample copy of XF; https://of-xenforo-test.orbiter-radio.co.uk/
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #49
kuddel
Donator

Except that xenforo also limits its "screen real-estate"[1] it looks and feels fine!

/Kuddel

[1] by not using the full screen width...like almost every site does nowadays
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #50
Xyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 Except that xenforo also limits its "screen real-estate"[1] it looks and feels fine!

/Kuddel

So, I noted as well the permissions aren't quite right, because it moderated your post, which it shouldn't have. I think we can clone the default skin to have a fluid variant, though, to solve that.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #51
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 For completeness on the migration testing, I present another version of the board, in a sample copy of XF; https://of-xenforo-test.orbiter-radio.co.uk/
My only complaint about it is the round avatars, which can probably be changed. Otherwise, both this above and the previous test seem fine visually.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #52
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post

/Kuddel

I second this. My only other gripe would be lack of markdown support, but as far as I can gather from Xenoforo discussions that's not in the cards. I'll survive.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #53
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Will the math tag support also die with the migration?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #54
Xyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 I second this. My only other gripe would be lack of markdown support, but as far as I can gather from Xenoforo discussions that's not in the cards. I'll survive.

I don't think it is, but then, vBulletin doesn't support markdown either, unless I've missed something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Will the math tag support also die with the migration?
Not quite. The test board has LaTeX support, though instead of a [MATH] bbcode it's invoked with \[ and \]. The rendering works fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 My only complaint about it is the round avatars, which can probably be changed. Otherwise, both this above and the previous test seem fine visually.
I'll see what I can do about them
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #55
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Is there any way to force Xenforo to display the desktop version on a mobile device? That's pretty much a non-negotiable for me. Mobile sites for anything are UI nightmares, even on mobile devices.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #56
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
I don't think it is, but then, vBulletin doesn't support markdown either, unless I've missed something?
Nope, it doesn't, which is why you *regularly* see markdown notation in plain text in my posts.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #57
Xyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 Is there any way to force Xenforo to display the desktop version on a mobile device? That's pretty much a non-negotiable for me. Mobile sites for anything are UI nightmares, even on mobile devices.

I found telling my browser to request the desktop version worked just fine for this purpose. Although, equally, I found XenForo's mobile layout a lot easier, personally, than the desktop version on my phone.
Thanked by:
Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #58
Xyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Nope, it doesn't, which is why you *regularly* see markdown notation in plain text in my posts.

this thread suggests you might be in luck, actually.
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #59
Xyon

This post on the test board shows the Markdown style content working just fine, now that I've turned it on.
Thanked by:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #60
Xyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post

I've reduced the border-radius property to 5% now, so they have rounded corners, but they aren't circular.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Announcements