Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 Are you planning also on releasing an FDO MFD manual eventually? Do you think it would be helpful as a general guide or every mission having its own singularities has to be dealt with separately?
If the FDO Console Handbook doesn't become publically available (for free) then I will definitely release a manual. I've done a bunch of posts explaining things in the thread about the MFD already, so collecting those in one document would be a good starting point.
indy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy91 View Post
 Ok, I launched with the scenario from Tim, and the phase angle at OMS-2 would be 19. That is too small for Shuttle missions. So we add 360 of phasing, making it 379. I'll try to come up with a rendezvous plan for that. The basic plan that you have should still apply, just some modifications are necessary like the number of revolutions between maneuvers. It's definitely a trial-and-error process though.
From the official FDO MFD thread:
Quote:
The phase window was based on a 185 nm average ISS orbital altitude and an 85 nm minimum perigee limit for the orbiter. The phase angle at OMS-2 can vary from 37 degrees to 311 degrees for a Flight Day 3 rendezvous and 211 degrees to 505 degrees for a Flight Day 4 rendezvous.
So, those 19 are outside the "average" phase angle bounds for a FD3 rendezvous.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 From the official FDO MFD thread:

So, those 19 are outside the "average" phase angle bounds for a FD3 rendezvous.
Yeah, and 379 is as well. That's probably why I am having trouble finding a good profile for Tim's scenario.
EDIT: The issue is that even with a 0 ft/s NC-1 and thus a phasing orbit of 125x85 after OMS-2 there is not enough phasing to be done to reach the ISS at the normal time for a FD3 rendezvous, so TI maneuver at about 001:18:00:00 MET. And in that case you probably will simply do a FD4 rendezvous, not FD2 or FD3.

I found a fun one for a FD2 rendezvous, but that involves doing quite large OMS-2 and NC-1 burns that almost take the Shuttle up to the ISS altitude already. Probably not very realistic.

FD4 should be quite possible. Main issue with FD4 rendezvous is that you would normally schedule those 3 or 8 ft/s placeholder phasing burns on every day, but then the number of maneuvers exceeds the current ability of the MFD to display them all. I guess I will have to add scrolling through a longer list. The original OMP from 1980 could only handle 9 maneuvers anyway, but by the end of the program it seems to support up to 40.

Last edited by indy91; 02-27-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 I found a fun one for a FD2 rendezvous, but that involves doing quite large OMS-2 and NC-1 burns that almost take the Shuttle up to the ISS altitude already. Probably not very realistic.
Maybe so, but once they planned to rendezvous with a satellite about 30mins after launch, an insanity complete with MECO downrange position controlled by throttling the SSMEs during ascent, so that FD2 scenario isn't that unrealistic.

Quote:
  I guess I will have to add scrolling through a longer list. The original OMP from 1980 could only handle 9 maneuvers anyway, but by the end of the program it seems to support up to 40.
Or if there are still MFD buttons left, you could add pages to it.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #20
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
 Maybe so, but once they planned to rendezvous with a satellite about 30mins after launch, an insanity complete with MECO downrange position controlled by throttling the SSMEs during ascent, so that FD2 scenario isn't that unrealistic.

That would have been something to watch on NASA TV
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #21
Tim13
Orbinaut

Quote:
 What I will do is post a complete walkthrough of a mission with screenshots of the constraints and evaluation tables. That should help people understand the workflow with the MFD.
That would be fantastic. Seeing a real world example put together in one post would be extremely helpful. I've read, and re-read the two posts here, several times and think I have a starting grasp of the FDO. One walk through though would bring it all together for me, and I suspect others.

Also, the scenario I posted, is just the STS-126 scenario that comes with the "historical missions." All I did was modify the launch time by 300 seconds to reach orbit with a RInc of less than one. I'm guessing the orbital elements of the ISS from the .txt file are different from the elements in the stock sts-126 scenario? Is that why my phase angle is so small?

Great work on this BTW. It is so much appreciated!

Tim

Last edited by Tim13; 02-27-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
Gingin
Orbinaut

@Tim : Hey Tim, I attached the STS 130 scenario ( .scn, mission config file and FDO config)

STS 130SG.zip

You have to put the FDO flight plan ( STS130SG) in Orbiter/Config/MFD/ShuttleFDOMFD

This one is for Spherical Gravity.
You will just need that add on to run the scenario

https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5351

You can follow the mission with that book

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...0110023479.pdf

Page 226 for STS 130
It is good reading with a lot of things explained about launch window, phasing, Rendez vous day etc

I took the real data for a launch on Monday 8 Feb ( page 230)
You can see a bit more how it is constructed like that maybe

Last edited by Gingin; 02-27-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Gingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 03:20 AM   #23
Tim13
Orbinaut

@Gingin You read my mind. I was going to ask you for your files....LOL.

For some reason, I can't get CMG up and running. I keep having orbiter crash. So, I just stripped the relevant data from your scenario, and put it in the STS-126 scenario. After launch, I have a RInc of 0.01 degrees, and a phase angle of 91.xxx degrees.

I'm getting a better handle on the FDO MFD, and I'm starting to understand the syntax a little better.

A glossary of abbreviations specific to FDO MOD in the upcoming manual would be helpful as a quick reference for less versed folks like me. I also hope Indy finds time for a walk through as well. Seeing a specific example taken from A to Z can really help connect the dots.

Tim
Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #24
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
 I also hope Indy finds time for a walk through as well. Seeing a specific example taken from A to Z can really help connect the dots.
The rendezvous target doesn't matter, FDO MFD will get you there.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #25
Tim13
Orbinaut

Quote:
 The rendezvous target doesn't matter, FDO MFD will get you there.
Agreed, but there's something to be said for a step by step tutorial as a reference. It's the whole teach a man to fish thing...teach me how to use the FDO MFD to rendezvous with the ISS, and then I can fly anything anywhere.

Tim
Thanked by:
Old 03-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #26
indy91
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13 View Post
 Agreed, but there's something to be said for a step by step tutorial as a reference. It's the whole teach a man to fish thing...teach me how to use the FDO MFD to rendezvous with the ISS, and then I can fly anything anywhere.

Tim
Working on a manual now.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra