Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #31
Enjo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Sure, if somebody can tell me what's required. I remember that Orbiter _used_ to run on Wine, and I recall that once upon a time I managed to run it via Wine myself. I haven't tried for a long time though. What's the problem with the current version?
Right now all I can tell is that the Launchpad doesn't start at all, but I haven't started any serious debugging yet. I will do it soon though, since you're interested.
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #32
aldarion
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Do you get this error with a vanilla RC.1 installation without _any_ external packages?

Orbiter 2016 has been compiled with VS2008, so should only require MSVCR90. There may be some older contributed binary modules (in particular planet ephemerides dlls) which could have been linked against older runtimes, but nothing in the core Orbiter distribution should require anything newer than R90.

Can you try to MSI installer? This should automatically install the required runtimes, if not present.

Edit: having said that, it just occurs to me that I _may_ have compiled zlib with VS2013. I'll check that.
I get this error in Vanilla RC1.
aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 Right now all I can tell is that the Launchpad doesn't start at all, but I haven't started any serious debugging yet. I will do it soon though, since you're interested.
Lubuntu 16.04 with wine-1.9.14; Orbiter launches but displays no scenarios.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot from 2016-07-14 17-12-12.png  
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #34
TCR_500
Biblical Creationist

I seem to remember Orbiter (2016 beta?) running (scenarios visible) on Ubuntu 15.x. I got 1 frame per second once I launched a scenario but it did run. I was using a 10-year-old laptop for my test.
TCR_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #35
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Actually, I had to fist enter the Orbiter folder through a terminal, before launching Orbiter with wine there - and then I could see the scenarios. It loaded fine, but tiles loading made the computer hang.

EDIT: Upon second execution, it worked; however there are those artifacts when using the detailed tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
0000.jpg   0001.jpg  

Last edited by SolarLiner; 07-14-2016 at 04:56 PM.
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #36
kuddel
Donator

The "Orbiter on Wine/Linux" discussion should be made in a different thread I think, I'm confused already
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #37
N_Molson
Addon Developer

That one totally caught me by surprise !

*passes out*
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:29 AM   #38
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

First time with the D3D9 client and I had trouble closing out the program on exiting. Unable to reproduce though. (I hadn't yet made a symbolic link, so it's probably on me).

Looks fantastic!

Windows10 btw.

Last edited by PhantomCruiser; 07-15-2016 at 06:00 AM.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:15 AM   #39
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

When running Orbiter.exe ClearType text gets disabled. I've checked to ensure it wasn't a freak occurrence and it happens at every Orbiter.exe launch. ClearType re enables itself automatically upon exiting Orbiter. Is this normal?

I am running Windows 7.

Edit:

I just realized that this is due to a Performance Option setting.

Last edited by Samuel Edwards; 07-15-2016 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Realized my bug was not actually a bug.
Samuel Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #40
N_Molson
Addon Developer

As far as I can tell, Orbiter 2016 + DX3D9 Client work flawlessly on Win10 x64, excellent framerate on an old config.
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #41
sputnik
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
 The Surface mode HUD always used to have a little marker pointing to the direction of the spaceport you were headed to. I see the .doc still says it's there, in Section 14.3. But I can't bring it up. It neither triggers off a spaceport selected in an MFD, nor using CTRL-R. How do I get the blasted surface marker to work?

I've found the surface marker always appears when the .SCN defines your vessel on a launchpad; your marker always points to that launchpad. You can never select any other spaceport, and if you exit and re-start that scenario, if you've moved off the pad, there's no surface marker because you're no longer on a launchpad.

So it looks like the code that defined the surface marker off the map mode's surface target isn't working.

This is a big deal for me; I really use that pointer in the HUD during re-entry to tell me which way I need to go. I can't believe I'm the only one.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #42
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

EDIT: Figured it out, disregard.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-15-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #43
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
When running Orbiter.exe ClearType text gets disabled. I've checked to ensure it wasn't a freak occurrence and it happens at every Orbiter.exe launch. ClearType re enables itself automatically upon exiting Orbiter. Is this normal?
It's standard behaviour, yes, and if I'm not mistaken it has already been in Orbiter 2010.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #44
N_Molson
Addon Developer

On my system (Win10 x64), I'd say that ClearType is disabled as default and that exiting Orbiter actually switches it on until power off or reboot.
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #45
Fabri91
Donator

Couldn't the default behaviour be changed to let ClearType on? I know it's supposed to help with performance, but even on my 6 year old mid-range laptop it doesn't make much of a difference. The option would still be available if needed.

It's a very minor nitpick, though.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta