Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Genesis27
Orbinaut

Default No LuaMFD displayed...why?

Hi...I was wondering if anyone could figure out why the LuaMFD does not show on my left side MFD when I run the Space Shuttle Tutorial....I am using Orbiter 2010 and I have activated the LuaMFD in Modules so I know it should be displayed...but it is not even an option when I hit "SEL" on the left MFD...it even says during the tutorial playback, if the LuaMFD is not showing, activate in modules and restart...I've done this about four times now and still nothing...any thoughts guys ?...thanks
Genesis27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Tommy
Orbinaut

How many add-on MFD's do you have? Orbiter is only capable of having so many (forget exact number), so if you've installed a lot of add-on MFD's you may have to disable some in the Launchpad in order to "make room" for the LuaMFD. Also, IIRC there is a Lua module (not an MFD) which also needs to be activated.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
jambooger
Defender of the Stupid

Ive got the same problem. I have the LUAconsole but no LUAMFD. I installed it early before other MFD,s and it has never shown available.
jambooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Alexw95
Addon Developer

is it activated in the launch window?
Alexw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
jambooger
Defender of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexw95 View Post
 is it activated in the launch window?
Yes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
martins
Orbiter Founder

May I suggest to load LuaMFD into Dependency Walker and checking if there are any unresolved library links?

Inexplicable failure of modules to load can often be tracked down to missing runtime libraries.

Dependency walker should either come with your Visual C++ installation, or it can be downloaded here. It is an indispensable debugging and development tool, so every hardcore orbinaut should have it at his/her fingertips.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
jambooger
Defender of the Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 May I suggest to load LuaMFD into Dependency Walker and checking if there are any unresolved library links?

Inexplicable failure of modules to load can often be tracked down to missing runtime libraries.

Dependency walker should either come with your Visual C++ installation, or it can be downloaded here. It is an indispensable debugging and development tool, so every hardcore orbinaut should have it at his/her fingertips.

Ok I can admit. I am LOST. How can I load into Dependency walker. I have tried to figure it out but,,,, Im LOST
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
martins
Orbiter Founder

I'm currently in Linux world and I won't boot Windows just to check, but I am sure it is

File | Open | $orbiterroot\modules\plugin\LuaMFD.dll

What else would it be?

Also don't forget to add $orbiterroot to the search path in dependency walker, otherwise you'll get false alarms about modules (such as orbiter.exe) not found.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
garyw
O-F Administrator

I've just loaded it up myself in Dependancy walker, the process that Martins described worked first time for me.

It's quite a huge file list and on my own PC I seem to be missing the following files:

MSVCP80.DLL
MSVCR80.DLL
MSJAVA.DLL

I've not played with LUA at all so I wouldn't have noticed it but maybe that list above will give you a few pointers?
garyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
martins
Orbiter Founder

Any idea about the version numbers of the missing files expected by LuaMFD.dll ? (if you select full path names, the version string should be part of the file name).

Note that Orbiter itself is linked against version 8.0.50727.4053 of those runtime libraries, so anybody able to run Orbiter at all should be guaranteed to have these installed.

However it may be possible that the Lua dlls themselves are linked against a different version of the (dynamic) runtime libraries. It never occurred to me to check this. Usually, later versions of the runtime libraries can be substituted for earlier ones, but not always and not automatically (this depends on the "policy" files associated with the runtimes, AFAIK). Can you check if there are multiple links to the msvc{r,p}80.dll with different version numbers?

On the other hand, this wouldn't explain why the Lua console works (if indeed it does), but the Lua MFD doesn't (both link to the same Lua dlls). If you can get the console to work, you should also check the LuaConsole.dll in dependency walker. If it shows the same missing libraries it may be a false alarm.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

The dependent assembly identity of both LuaMFD's and LuaConsole's embeded manifests say it's version="8.0.50727.4053" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis27 View Post
 if the LuaMFD is not showing, activate in modules and restart...
The name of MFD mode used for LuaMFD.dll module in Orbiter is "Terminal MFD" and not "Lua MFD".

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Quote:
 (if you select full path names, the version string should be part of the file name).
If any of the msvc* files are missing, this won't show a version in the full path to it, only a name of file and Error opening file in the next column - I just tested that in dependency walker (added: though only if the path to WinSxS folder of the library isn't set in dependency walker).

(BTW, I'm missing only DWMAPI.DLL, but that's not critical.)

Last edited by orb; 07-29-2010 at 04:13 PM.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
jambooger
Defender of the Stupid

OK Thanks to Martin I was able to use DW to open LuaMFD.dll. If Im reading the results correctly in the bottom payne it says LUA5.11.dll and LUAINTERPRETER.dll cannot be found. These file are in the Orbiter root folder. I dont understand what to do at this point.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #13
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambooger View Post
 OK Thanks to Martin I was able to use DW to open LuaMFD.dll. If Im reading the results correctly in the bottom payne it says LUA5.11.dll and LUAINTERPRETER.dll cannot be found. These file are in the Orbiter root folder. I dont understand what to do at this point.
Quote:
 Also don't forget to add $orbiterroot to the search path in dependency walker, otherwise you'll get false alarms about modules (such as orbiter.exe) not found.
Did you do this? Do you get the same missing dependencies for LuaConsole.dll (which you said is working for you)?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #14
jambooger
Defender of the Stupid

Quote:
 Did you do this? Do you get the same missing dependencies for LuaConsole.dll (which you said is working for you)?
I just tested LuaConsole.dll and yes I get the same exact missing dependencies, although yes LuaConsole works fine. What does that mean?

I just did a Clean install with no add-ons. TerminalMFD is available now. Is that the same as LuaMFD as ORB speculated above?

Last edited by jambooger; 07-30-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambooger View Post
 I just did a Clean install with no add-ons. TerminalMFD is available now. Is that the same as LuaMFD as ORB speculated above?
Highlight the LuaMFD entry in Active (or Inactive) modules on the Launchpad, and read:
Quote:
TERMINAL MFD:

Adds the "Terminal" MFD mode - allows the execution of Lua commands and scripts from a spacecraft's MFD instrument.
You can also open the LuaMFD.dll with a hex editor and find "Terminal MFD".

The LuaMFD registers itself as "Terminal MFD" MFD mode.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Oops, what I've just written is a beta feature, so 100606 won't display it for you, sorry.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help