Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Meets & Greets New to Orbiter or just new to this board? Say hello and introduce yourself to the community here! Feel free to also post birthday or holiday greetings here.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Vanight
Orbinaut
Big Grin Greetings from the Northwest USA!

Hello everyone,

I am Vanight. I have been a sim enthusiast since MS Flight sim 1.0. Before that, I would play with a handheld calculator my Uncle had that simulated Lunar landings. I have been on sort of a computer break after spending WAY too much time playing a game called Elite Dangerous after buying the first release of the HTC Vive. Once I experience Elite in VR, it was game over man....game over! Of course, Elite is not a simulator, especially with Orbiter as the baseline. That said, I put over 1500 hours of VR time into Elite in a year. My wife and I just bought a new house, and I have ambitions to build a super PC dedicated to simulations.... and yes, Elite Dangerous VR. I am also interested in an discussions that may be going on regarding the possibility of somehow using Orbiter in VR. There are programs that allow you to use non-native VR programs with the Vive and Occulas. The biggest hurdle I see, is keyboard usage with Orbiter....which is extensive, and difficult to do but not impossible as there are ways to put the camera view of the Vive into a window within our VR FOV. Anyway, this is suppose to be an introduction and I am rambling.

So what has inspired me to get back into true simulation? Well, I just watch the new 2019 Apollo 11 documentary, twice. That and the fact I will shortly have a dedicated room to mount such an endeavor from a hardware point of view.

A bit about myself. Well, I am soon to be 48. I am a musician (guitar, drums). I own a Cyber security company which is basically, me. I have worked in I.T. for over 20 years. I grew up in a rural area in the NW and am now back to be closer to my aging parents. I like progressive metal like symphony x, dream theater, fusion guitarists such as Greg Howe, classical, and some country. Music is a big part of my life. I enjoy writing and recording original music, hunting, fishing, I am an avid firearms enthusiast. I enjoy creative writing, political opinion writing (which I wont do here, as agreed) I have recently started to study the stock market with the goal to start trading as a primary income source. I've been following bitcoin and block-chain tech for years, and after watching this summers latest run-up decided its past time to get on the boat. So once bitcoin adjusts, I am in. I love anything to do with Astronomy, space travel, etc... I am not particularly good at math, okay, I suck at math (arithmetic), but I am good at comprehending concepts very quickly. I would like to improve my math skills using orbital physics as a catalyst. Favorite books... the Elite Dangerous books, Sword of Shannara, Atlas Shrugged. Favorite movies...Original Hellboy, not the new one. Serenity. I really enjoy seeing the potential in others, and inspiring them to do things they may believe are not possible. I like talking to Seniors, especially Veterans, and hearing stories about their lives. I like fast cars, and driving fast as possible, whenever possible, and I guess I am a Rotary guy (I miss my RX-8 a LOT), flying Cessna 172s. Back to Astronomy, where I am about to move is very rural, and I can even turn off my street light. It is about 1500 ft ASL with no towns nearby. I want to buy a good telescope in the next year and add one more hobby to the list. I am the son of an Immigrant Father who is Dutch-Indonesian and immigrated from Holland in the 60s. My mothers side brings good old southern USA.

I do still play video games at 48 years old. I like Elite Dangerous (PC) and PUBG (XBOX) and more recently, World of Warships on Xbox one. I know, pathetic. I LOVE dogs. My wife and I have a rescue dog. His name is Curly. I want to learn Russian, Greek, and Dutch. I speak some Spanish from 4 years of it in Highschool, but not much.

I guess that is about it. Nice to meet everyone, and let me know if anyone is talking about VR and Orbiter. Would be interested in being involved any way I can in a project, if one exists.

Cheers, Vanight
CMDR Efstathius Placidus (in Elite Dangerous)
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2018-04-14 12.41.34.jpg  
Vanight is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

to Orbiter Forum!

dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
IronRain

Welkom op het forum! Als je vragen hebt hoor ik het graag!

IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter-Forum.com > Meets & Greets

Tags
elite dangerous, orbiter vr, virtual reality, vive