Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #16
martins
Orbiter Founder

Well, some systems are actually designed to require multiple compiler passes.

When compiling a LaTeX document, my routine is usually

- run latex
- run bibtex
- run latex
- run latex again

to make sure all references and citations are properly updated. I don't actually know if this is still necessary with newer LaTeX versions, but I've got used to it.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 to make sure all references and citations are properly updated. I don't actually know if this is still necessary with newer LaTeX versions, but I've got used to it.
AFAIR yes.

But almost all good IDEs for working with LaTeX do this automatically without requiring manual labor.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #18
SolarLiner
It's necessary, TARS.

Hell, there's even a CLI tool that mathemagically calls latex the right number of times.

I've got a bt too deep in my Linux exploration and has become fairly accustomed to GTK+ now, through PyGObject, GtkSharp and even gtkmm. I've even built a tool with the latter for my music production needs, however now I'm stuck in MSYS trying to get all the appropriate mingw dependencies to get a Windows build going...

Is the Qt version of tileedit open-sourced somewhere? It seems like the UI-side of it would be small enough that I could use that as an example and watch it grow in order to get myself versed in the other side of the Linux UI frameworks...

EDIT: The first page has the link. How I didn't the only thing of color in that post...

Last edited by SolarLiner; 02-12-2019 at 04:55 PM.
SolarLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #19
paddy2
Addon Developer

Any chance it will run 32 Bit or is it 64 Bit only?
paddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #20
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy2 View Post
 Any chance it will run 32 Bit or is it 64 Bit only?
I haven't tried to build a 32-bit version since I currently only have a 64-bit Qt install, but if you want to give it a try, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't compile for 32-bit targets.
Thanked by:
Old 02-16-2019, 12:23 AM   #21
paddy2
Addon Developer

Looks like a bit of homework for me then.
paddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 04-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #22
martins
Orbiter Founder

The new Qt version of tileedit now has approximately the same functionality as the previous Matlab version, so I'll include it from the next Orbiter beta.

I have a question though: By default, Qt only supports dynamically linked applications. This requires them to ship with a fairly extensive set of runtime libraries, which seems a bit cumbersome. I'd rather have a statically linked tileedit, but static linking with the Qt runtimes doesn't seem to be trivial. I haven't found any static Qt installations, and the only way to do it appears to be to compile Qt yourself from the sources with static linking.

Before getting into that, does anybody know of a precompiled static Qt version?
Thanked by:
Old 04-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #23
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 The new Qt version of tileedit now has approximately the same functionality as the previous Matlab version, so I'll include it from the next Orbiter beta.

I have a question though: By default, Qt only supports dynamically linked applications. This requires them to ship with a fairly extensive set of runtime libraries, which seems a bit cumbersome. I'd rather have a statically linked tileedit, but static linking with the Qt runtimes doesn't seem to be trivial. I haven't found any static Qt installations, and the only way to do it appears to be to compile Qt yourself from the sources with static linking.

Before getting into that, does anybody know of a precompiled static Qt version?
Is this it? https://www.npcglib.org/~stathis/blo...piled-qt4-qt5/
Seems huge...
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Thanks - looks promising. I'll try it, I'm just a bit worried about the OpenSSL dependency which I don't need. Hopefully that can just be ignored.

Yes, Qt isn't exactly a lightweight package ... Hopefully the static linker is clever enough to include only the actually referenced modules in the application code.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #25
martins
Orbiter Founder

Here is a trial build of the Qt-tileedit version I've been working on. This should work stand-alone without the need of installing any Qt runtimes. It has all the functionality of the original Matlab version, with a few notable additions:
  • It can read from compressed archives as well as the cache (i.e. the individual tile files arranged in the directory tree). Use File | Configure to select read preferences. It has the same options as Orbiter itself.
  • It can display 2x2 tile blocks instead of individual tiles, to make it easier to edit across tile boundaries. Again, select in File | Configure.
  • It has a few eyecandy options for the elevation display. Select in Elevation | Configure. For Earth, try in particular the topographic colour maps and the "Display water mask" options.
  • If you try to edit a non-existent elevation tile (i.e. one that has been synthesised from an ancestor sub-region), tileedit will warn you and give you the option to create that tile.

General usage should be pretty obvious. Load a planet tileset via File | Open, and pick the base directory of the planet's tileset, generally <orbiterroot>/Textures/<planet-name>. Select the layers you want to display via the dropdown lists for each of the three displays. Navigate the quadtree by moving over the images and clicking, or by entering a tile designation directly in the top left field.

There is some elevation editing capability (click the right "Action" button to access it). This is currently still very limited (essentially the same as the Matlab version), but I'll work on that next. If you want to try it, make sure you have a backup of your tileset in case things are going wrong. Changes are always written to the "Elev_mod" layer, so you can undo changes by deleting the relevant tiles in that layer, as long as you remember which ones are from your edit. One exception is if you created a new elevation tile in order to edit. This will create an entry in the "Elev" layer.

Let me know of any problems, and any additional features you would like to see. Even more welcome with code to go along with it. The sources are in https://github.com/mschweiger/orbiter-tileedit.

I do seem to get the occasional (infrequent) CTD when moving the mouse in and out of a tile display, which looks to be related to an infinite loop in the Qt notification chain. If any Qt-savvy coder can reproduce that and has a solution, I'd be very grateful.

Attached Files
File Type: zip tileedit.zip (4.54 MB, 19 views)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #26
GLS
Addon Developer

Very cool!
No issues in the 5 minutes I played with it so far, and opened several planets with almost no CPU or RAM load.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #27
kuddel
Donator

Ran tiledit -build from source- without any issues
I'll play around a bit and will report any issues (if I encounter any).
By the way: Nice "disco ball" app-icon !
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #28
jacquesmomo
Kourou CSG addon Developper

I had already used (with difficulty but successfully) tileedit first matlab version to modify and add tiles for my add-on, Kourou-CSG that I am finalising ELA3 and ELA4(zones) ...

I just tested this new version quickly ... and I'm impressed by the difference!
Speed, ergonomics ... bravo!

I do not have time to test any longer, but if I notice anything, I will report it.
Thanks again !!!
jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #29
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Been testing for a couple of hours. Using it to get the coordinates of tiles and grabbing google maps textures with the help of a script. No CTDs and no problems whatsoever.
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #30
4throck
Enthusiast !

The center window should default to elevation. Otherwise, it CTDs on tile edit (if you put elevation on the left window).

How about an option to save / load a tile to PNG?
That seems like the most obvious feature to have

Last edited by 4throck; 05-29-2019 at 08:26 AM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta