Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter SDK
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter SDK Orbiter software developers post your questions and answers about the SDK, the API interface, LUA, meshing, etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 I need it in a few cases to clean up memory. In a tall inheritance tree it's quite a common requirement, actually, especially when working with abstract base classes and multiple inheritance.
I didn't realise that I needed virtual destructors until then, though, and the realisation was not very funny. C++ has quite a few questionable decisions in its syntax, but this one tops it all. Like, I can't imagine any situation where it would be a good thing not to call the destructor of an inheriting class...

A struct knows neither access modifiers nor inheritance. If you consider those matters of "standards and readability", then you did not yet understand what object oriented programming is about
It knows them, it just defaults them to public...so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #17
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
 It knows them, it just defaults them to public...so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
My apologies. I did some reading up, and it turns out that structs in C++ do in fact have both access modifiers and inheritance. That astonishes me a bit, I always thought they were mostly there as a relic from C to improve code portability, but it turns out they have been heavily extended when compared to C-structs. Well, I've learned something new, thanks for that!
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
Zatnikitelman
Addon Developer

No worries! Structs have become a little weird in C++, not because of complexities or anything, but because they've effectively become a different name for a class and seem to just exist for backwards compatibility.
Zatnikitelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter SDK