Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 AM   #16
Blake
Addon Developer

Github repository updated so that the github download zip file can be installed directly from Blender. No unzipping, copying.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
Jordan
Orbinaut

I cannot import any mesh.

Quote:
Import Orbiter Mesh started.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Download\GFX\3D\BlenderStuff\blender-2.81a-windows64\2.81\scripts\addons\io_orbiter_tools\__i nit__.py", line 175, in execute
import_tools.import_mesh(config, path)
File "D:\Download\GFX\3D\BlenderStuff\blender-2.81a-windows64\2.81\scripts\addons\io_orbiter_tools\imp ort_tools.py", line 376, in import_mesh
orbiter_path = os.path.join(*up[0:up.index('orbiter') + 1])
ValueError: 'orbiter' is not in list

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #18
Blake
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
 I cannot import any mesh.
The import assumes you are importing from the 'meshes' folder (or sub folder) of a standard Orbiter installation. It does this so that it can hunt down any referenced texture files.

So you are likely not importing from the meshes folder, or you have renamed your Orbiter folder to something else.

An option I have considered is to have you specify an Orbiter folder when you import, but it seemed that most of the time you would be importing a mesh from an existing Orbiter install.
Thanked by:
Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #19
Jordan
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
 So you are likely not importing from the meshes folder, or you have renamed your Orbiter folder to something else.

That was it. I have several orbiter installations and one of them is called Orbitertest. There are the meshes to work on.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #20
Blake
Addon Developer

2.0.3 -- Split normals support.

In short, what you see in Blender will be closer to what you see in Orbiter, with regard to modeling. Split normals are also independently editable. This has been asked for by 'low-poly' game designers (us) for some time, as it allows the use of some techniques that give better shading results without added a lot of new geometry.

- Blender's object 'shade smooth', and 'shade flat' options will carry to the Orbiter mesh file.
- Blender's Auto Smooth option is now supported. [Properties, Object Data, Normals, Auto Smooth] This is similar to 'split edge' modifier, but is cleaner and easier to work with.
- Blender's Alt-N (Normals) edit menu can be used to edit the normal independent of the vertex normals. This opens up some possibilities for low-poly modeling.

The split edge modifier should still work, but the preferred method appears to be Auto Smooth.
Thanked by:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #21
llarian
Orbinaut

When you uv unwrap your mesh, does it convert to Obiter uv coordinates or does it keep the Blender ones?
llarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #22
Blake
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarian View Post
 When you uv unwrap your mesh, does it convert to Obiter uv coordinates or does it keep the Blender ones?
It flips the 'v' coordinate:

u = u
v = 1 - v

This should flip it to what Orbiter expects.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #23
llarian
Orbinaut

Sorry about that. I should have Googled first. I forgot about the rotate and flip. An older thread enlightened me.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:31 AM   #24
Blake
Addon Developer

I have updated the tutorial document included with this plugin. (the github link in the OP) The tutorial PDF is also attached here.

It is a bit verbose, but if you are interested in building a simple Orbiter vessel using Blender 2.81 you may find it useful.

[ATTACH]Tutorial[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Orbiter Tools Tutorial.pdf  
Old 01-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #25
Jordan
Orbinaut

When I try to import the mesh ISSR/STSpad39A.msh from
LC39A+B for ShuttleFLeet HD

I get this error

Quote:
File "C:\Users\Jordan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\orbiter-blender-master\__init__.py", line 164, in execute
File "C:\Users\Jordan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\orbiter-blender-master\import_tools.py", line 428, in import_mesh
mat = bpy.data.materials[grp_mat_name]
KeyError: 'bpy_prop_collection[key]: key "STSpad39A_Main hardstand material_Main_Concrete_Hardstand_texture_1" not found'

if i rename the texture to a shorter name for example "Main_Concrete_Hardstand_texture_1.dds" to "mcht1.dds" both in the mesh file and the texture file itself, then it works.

Last edited by Jordan; 01-22-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #26
llarian
Orbinaut

Blake, is it possible to import an Orbiter .msh file into Blender that was not originally composed in Blender with your addon?

I can import test model meshes that I previously created in Blender under your addon, but if I try to import, for example, ShuttlePB.msh, the import fails.

Here is the pertinent Blender log output:

bpy.context.space_data.system_folders_active = 0
bpy.context.space_data.system_folders_active = 0
File "C:\Users\imstarlost\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\orbiter-blender-master\__init__.py", line 164, in execute
File "C:\Users\imstarlost\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\orbiter-blender-master\import_tools.py", line 420, in import_mesh
uvl.data[i_loop].uv = (uvs[i_vert][0], 1-uvs[i_vert][1])
IndexError: list index out of range

For testing I am using a clean Orbiter install. No other addons. C:/Orbiter and C:/Orbiter/Meshes.

I presume I missed something. Problem seems similar to what Jordan experienced but I can't find my way out of it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by llarian; 01-22-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #27
Jordan
Orbinaut

Quote:
I can import test model meshes that I previously created in Blender under your addon, but if I try to import, for example, ShuttlePB.msh, the import fails.
I can Import other meshes but this one fails.

Quote:
File "C:\Users\Jordan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\orbiter-blender-master\__init__.py", line 164, in execute
File "C:\Users\Jordan\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\orbiter-blender-master\import_tools.py", line 420, in import_mesh
uvl.data[i_loop].uv = (uvs[i_vert][0], 1-uvs[i_vert][1])
IndexError: list index out of range

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarian View Post
 I presume I missed something. Problem seems similar to what Jordan experienced but I can't find my way out of it.

my above mentioned error could result from filenames being too long
Old 01-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #28
Blake
Addon Developer

You should be able to import any Orbiter mesh file. I'll check the ShuttlePB again. For testing import I went through all of the stock meshes. Something may have broke, but they should work.

Is your Orbiter folder very deep into a hierarchy? I'll try that as well.

Update...
I am seeing the same error on ShuttlePB, I'll take a look.

Last edited by Blake; 01-22-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #29
Jordan
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
 Is your Orbiter folder very deep into a hierarchy? I'll try that as well.

If you mean me, no. My orbiter is in the Root of Partition D:\

Same error occurs when i try to Import ProjectApollo/Saturn5ML.msh
Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #30
llarian
Orbinaut

And if you mean me, no. For test purposes I have been following your pdf to the letter (I think).

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development