Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #31
Quick_Nick
Passed the Turing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
 I like this one. It's weirdly "real".

http://www.kerbalcomics.com/2012/06/...anded-squared/

{image}
Landing a three seat vehicle to lift six? Very Kerbal.
Quick_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #32
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Thats like comparing "Lego Technic" and "fischertechnik".
Ah... Memories!
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #33
C3PO
Donator

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Nick View Post
 Landing a three seat vehicle to lift six? Very Kerbal.
I can't count the amount of times I've inadvertently launched with a full crew.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #34
rseferino
Orbiter amateur filmmaker

The issue, as many have stated, is that KSP is easier to handle than Orbiter. It took me several months to learn to use tools Orbiter. With Kerbal I was a few weeks and I learned the basics, except landings and rendezvous and manufacture airplanes. What attracts is gripping parts and assemble them to make the ship or rocket desired. It's addictive.

On the other hand too common thing is that in my videos many put comments like "looks like I used KSP" or "KSP is 1000 times better." For a while consider using KSP to make a video, but I did not attract much game environment presents. I like but as someone said, KSP is a video game and Orbiter is a simulator. These days someone asked me for help because wishes to Kerbal version of my video of the Martian mission novel Voyage.

Here in the forum, in another discussion, someone said if Orbiter implement the construction of KSP option would be the ultimate space simulator.
rseferino is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #35
Topper
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseferino View Post
 The issue, as many have stated, is that KSP is easier to handle than Orbiter. It took me several months to learn to use tools Orbiter. [...]
I think Orbiter is just to complicate = to realistic for the mainstream.
Creating a spaceship in Orbiter is more like creating and designing a real spaceship (from the point of engineering).
You even have to design the cockpit, create the software of the spaceship etc.

In Kerbal it's more like building a rocket out of "Lego blocks". I believe you can also have fun with it... But I prefer the "realistic way".
Using Orbiter can really advance you skills in math, programing, etc., and that could be a benefit for RL also (And it's more as "just Playing").

So the real question is:

Why does
Rice Rice
play
Texas Texas
?

Last edited by Topper; 12-30-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #36
BruceJohnJennerLawso
Dread Lord of the Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
 Why does Rice play Texas?
We choose to go to the Moon, not the Mun!!!

On a serious note, my suspicions would be this:

-KSP is more a game than a sim, and is easier for most people to have fun with as a result
-KSP is commercially developed, and as a result receives new features faster than Orbiter does (although Martins is doing a decent job of closing the gap with the latest beta)
-KSP was sort of a case of "the perfect storm". KSP is a very unusual type of game, and really just seemed to show up at the perfect time to truly take off. Harvester and his team have done good, but they also got quite lucky with how quickly word of the game spread. It seems that KSP really fills a niche that a lot of people wanted filled.

BruceJohnJennerLawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #37
ISProgram
SketchUp Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacethingy View Post
 KSP made the main comic, Orbiter got the tool-tip text:
http://xkcd.com/1244/
A little OT, but I almost stopped using the Trajectory Browser when it gave me this trajectory solution for getting to Saturn.

Looks a little unconventional, to say the least.
ISProgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #38
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Lately I've been feeling conflicted if it's even worth it for me to develop add-ons for Orbiter, because almost no one would seem to care. As of now, the subreddit for KSP has over 200000 subscribers with new content everyday, while the subreddit for Orbiter has only 596 and gets one or a few occasional posts each month.

Since the unveiling of ITS/BFR, I've been waiting for someone to create open-source code that can emulate the precision entry and landing system of the spaceship so that my fictional country's space program can have its own BFR, because that's probably the only thing that's going to excite people.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #39
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

So, you are doing it for others?
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #40
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 As of now, the subreddit for KSP has over 200000 subscribers with new content everyday, while the subreddit for Orbiter has only 596 and gets one or a few occasional posts each month.
If that is the important thing for you, I'd say developing Orbiter addons is not worth it. You will not get much likes/upvotes/<your_social_media_acknowledgment_of_choice> with Orbiter, so if that is what you seek, look elsewhere. KSP is certainly a good choice in this regard.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #41
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Speaking personally, I like to create add-ons that I personally enjoy. (The coding is also fun, particularly since I can do it whenever I have time and not under constant deadlines like at work.) That way you don't really care how many other people use it, you just make it "for yourself" primarily, and if other people enjoy it, too, great! if not, hey, you still have an add-on that you enjoy using.

TL;DR: "If you don't enjoy making the add-on, it's probably not worth making it in the first place."
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #42
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 Speaking personally, I like to create add-ons that I personally enjoy. (The coding is also fun, particularly since I can do it whenever I have time and not under constant deadlines like at work.) That way you don't really care how many other people use it, you just make it "for yourself" primarily, and if other people enjoy it, too, great! if not, hey, you still have an add-on that you enjoy using.

TL;DR: "If you don't enjoy making the add-on, it's probably not worth making it in the first place."
Exactly my attitude there. I do it in first place for my curiosity. Then for people I personally respect. And in the very last place for the rest of the world.

Also, I think David413 is a name that has to be mentioned in this case, because its an important lesson. Social media can not only give you confidence boosts - it can also destroy you. Quickly. The internet is NO positive thing there. Destructive comments can rain on you much faster than you can handle, because social media can be a nuclear chain reactio there - from a few critical persons, to bots and sockpuppets reinforcing it.

If you are not doing it because you like it, you better think twice about asking for comments.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #43
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
while the subreddit for Orbiter has only 596 and gets one or a few occasional posts each month.
Huh, Orbiter has a subreddit... I learn something new every day.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #44
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 If that is the important thing for you, I'd say developing Orbiter addons is not worth it. You will not get much likes/upvotes/<your_social_media_acknowledgment_of_choice> with Orbiter, so if that is what you seek, look elsewhere. KSP is certainly a good choice in this regard.
The problem is that if I choose to switch focus from Orbiter to KSP development, I will lose the ability to show off my custom island spaceport, which is basically the cornerstone of my imaginary space agency's canon (There's a KSC switcher for the Real Solar System mod that allows you to put the Kerbal Space Center anywhere on our Earth, but you cannot make custom islands in RSS). I might also lose the ability to show off detailed space stations, such as my recreation of the Shimizu space hotel, without killing my framerate.

For the latter example, I've been considering making the Kankoh-maru space tourism SSTO in Orbiter. Someone else wants to make it, too, but they don't have the code for the precision landing. I haven't really played with BrianJ's Dragon DLL, but someone said that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 automatic reentry was great fun: splashed down just a few hundred meters from recovery vessel.
It might be possible to adapt that for Kankoh-maru (I'm not sure if it could be made more precise), but it took me several months for me to reverse-engineer and adapt BrianJ's Falcon 9 boost-back and autopilot code for my M-III launch vehicle.

For KSP, it might be easier and faster to recreate the functionality of the Kankoh-maru (as the MechJeb mod offers a wonderful universal landing autopilot that works on atmospheric bodies), but trying to show it docking to a space hotel as in the original concept image would be a pain.

Last edited by Pipcard; 01-18-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 PM   #45
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

KSP?

Are people still playing that these days? Have not heard anything in a long time.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help