Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Tutorials & Challenges Feel free to publish your tutorials, challenges, & flight scenarios in this forum.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
flytandem
Tutorial Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by statickid View Post
 There are two ways that I've found:

The first I feel maybe a little bit like cheating, but it works well. I have successfully found and landed by the ship using the docking mfd but this takes alot of fuel IMO.

the second way that I was eluding to when I said "p.s. don't bother landing on Io" is very simple indeed. The rules say

"Your mission is to start from Europa in another DeltaGlider IV, meet the the stranded ship, and refuel them so they can go back home. "

However it does not say that there is any specific way to meet them. I noticed the stranded ship has a bit of fuel and O2. Simply launch the stranded ship into orbit and rendezvous with them! This is my method anyways. Also it is easier to give them a fuel container in orbit than it is on the surface. I feel that this would probably be true on the real moon. Also since the vessel is lighter it would take less fuel to get into orbit with an empty tank than with a full one so it is more efficient!
Good catch to notice the Mining ship still had fuel. It was misleading when the scenario instructions stated the fuel had all leaked out. It had enough fuel to not even need to be rescued. I flew it off Io and went to Europa and docked with the wheel with 1599 m/s dv to spare. Also plenty of O2.
flytandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
statickid
CatDog from Deimos

oh wow i didn't know it had enough fuel to do all that! I guess it was also misleading that it says that it needed to be rescued! I never tried to do anything more than get into a small orbit!
statickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #18
n122vu
Addon Developer

Io-ronic. I had Googled the subject to see if there were any tutorials out there. The VERY FIRST result was a thread right here on O-F, which included a few posts by none other than flytandem - I JUST finished reading those posts in a thread from 2008 on the very matter, and hopped over here to see if anyone else had any suggestions for the OP.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6080
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
djidji
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 Io-ronic. I had Googled the subject to see if there were any tutorials out there. The VERY FIRST result was a thread right here on O-F, which included a few posts by none other than flytandem - I JUST finished reading those posts in a thread from 2008 on the very matter, and hopped over here to see if anyone else had any suggestions for the OP.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6080

lol I was wondering why I had a deja vu reading this thread.. it was mine that you found back then.. while I did manage to make this mission. .I a still unable to do the VIP to mars one.. if anyone can help..
djidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
Tommy
Orbinaut

My solution for the Mars bound VIP went about as follows:

1: Used IMFD to plan a trip from starting place (Titan, I think?), slingshot off Saturn, to Mars. I note the time of the trip, and about where the Saturn Pe is. IMFD will try to do the whole burn at once-during the Titan ejection burn, but that's not efficient.
2: When Titan is opposite of the planned sling's Saturn Pe, I used Orbit Eject (set to "lower orbit") to leave Titan, with the goal of setting up a Hohman transfer to the Saturn Pe.
3: As I approached Saturn I recalculated the sling to Mars (now using "self" as a source) and used the AB when I neared the Saturn Pe.

I did perform a few manual adjustments during the trip from titan to Saturn - checking the dVp in slingshot - to minimize the plane change element of the sling burn. You are traveling quite fast by that point so you want the burn to be prograde, and you want to have made all your plane adjustments as soon as possible after leaving Titan.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #21
flytandem
Tutorial Publisher

I replied directly (PM) to a request about the VEEP to Mars scenario presenting a solution to him of a single 4100 m/s burn to go to Mars which was obtained using a surrogate. But later I played around just by gut feel and found a nicer (but related) one with a single 3800 m/s burn.
In the DGIV Mission Scenary folder is the Martian bound VEEP challenge.

Solution:
On start of scenario leave both ship and pod docked but change the date using scenario editor forward about 18 days to 60266.5000
Then undock the ship only and set up the following TransX maneuver.

Prograde= 3.78 Km/sec
Outward= 0.0
Plane Change = -295 m/sec

For the date of the maneuver, after the above values are input, advance the date. But you should first set up the next 2 stages so you can see what the date input is providing. So, escape Titan, then forward, escape Saturn, then forward, target Mars and leave one MFD in stage 3 (Solar orbit with Mars as target).

Back to date of the maneuver... advance it using ultra and soon you will see (in stage 3) the trajectory showing a path inward toward the inner planets. You should continue advancing the date past the point where the Pe goes inside Mars orbit and as you advance the date more the Pe will start to rise again and as it gets up to Mars, advance on hyper steps. I found that somewhere around 60266.5657 give or take it will show a very close encounter with Mars. A trick is to now have the Stage 3 "scale to view" set to "Target", for a nice close in view of the encounter.

Now grapple the fuel pod. You will have about 80 minutes or more to complete this before the burn is scheduled to be done. Hope that's enough time for you.

I have no advice on grappling the pod or how to not suffocate during the 7 year journey to Mars. Gasp. which is what happened to me
flytandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Tutorials & Challenges