Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old
Addon Developer

Default Multistage2015 - Development Thread
by fred18 07-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Hi all,

as anticipated I'm starting to build the new Multistage file, updated version of the old vinka's one.

my idea is basically to merge the vinka flexibility with the features i have developped for another project (the Jarvis DLL). In particular the launch and autopilot functionality and the failure simulations.

The project will be done in 3 steps:

1) recreating the vinka's module with all its functionalities
2) adding the new functionalities
3) prepare a version also for the new orbiter beta

For any comments or ideas, here i am!

Cheers

Fred

Last edited by fred18; 10-27-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Views 134439 Comments 930
Total Comments 930

Comments

Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Hi, fred18. Glad you are back in Orbiter.

Have you fixed all of the bugs with the Jarvis dll autopilot?

If I recall, there is still a bug in the plane change logic when you try to launch to a low inclination.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
fred18
Addon Developer

Hi booga,

Yep, it was only for inclinations very close to launch latitudes, I developed a preliminary solution for that, i'll apply it to this system, together with code cleaning and rewriting so there should be absolutely no foul ups and we'll have the usage of multistage automatic autopilot together with the simplicity of vinka's structure.
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
Donamy
Beta Tester

Will you have a VC view during launch ? Multistage doesn't.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 Will you have a VC view during launch ? Multistage doesn't.
Hi Don!

I can easily implement a VC on that, but can I ask you what do you mean exactly? What would be a VC for a pure rocket?
Old 07-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

For me, simplicity is the key.
We have to mantain the base logic of multistage, only with the implementation of a real autopilot and failure simulation. Moreover, "built-in" visual effects as the ones inserted in the old multistage with various tricks would be a good addition.
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-12-2015, 01:06 AM   #7
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

It's been a while since I've done anything w/ multistage; but is the "bug/feature" still there where when the payload separates from the rocket, that the said payload has zero fuel?
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #8
Lisias
Space Traveller Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 Hi Don!

I can easily implement a VC on that, but can I ask you what do you mean exactly? What would be a VC for a pure rocket?
Perhaps a Mission Control Center?
Lisias is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 It's been a while since I've done anything w/ multistage; but is the "bug/feature" still there where when the payload separates from the rocket, that the said payload has zero fuel?
Maybe i did not understand what you mean... I've never experimented such a bug using the multistage/spacecraft duo...
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

As an example; if I load the space tug from Yuri's Energia Project onto my Energia-M, I can get it to orbit easily enough. But when I eject it as a payload the fuel tanks of the tug are empty. I can fix this via scenario editor, it's just a bit annoying.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jameson View Post
 For me, simplicity is the key.
We have to mantain the base logic of multistage, only with the implementation of a real autopilot and failure simulation. Moreover, "built-in" visual effects as the ones inserted in the old multistage with various tricks would be a good addition.
That is the idea: rebuild the multistage exactly as it is first, and then add new features (the main is the autoguidance). Then add effects possibilities like vent effects before launching or ullage effects at separation and make them all easy to implement within the ini file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
I rememeber that. I don't remember if it's related to multistage-spacecraft. I think it was more related to spacecraft3, like in some cases spawned sc3 vessels didn't have any fuel in them. Anyway once the job arrives to the payload part I'll check for that, if there is the fuel bug I'll correct it.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
fred18
Addon Developer

Small Poll:

Vinka's multistage applies all the thrust of the main engines to the vehicle CoG and then uses coordinates only to render exhausts. Would you rather keep this or implementing actual thruster position from ini file?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #13
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 Small Poll:

Vinka's multistage applies all the thrust of the main engines to the vehicle CoG and then uses coordinates only to render exhausts. Would you rather keep this or implementing actual thruster position from ini file?
IMHO it is always best to keep the legacy behaviour as default. You could add a switch parameter to enable true position thrusting. This way old addons can be used as usual, but developers of new addons can switch it on for advanced modeling.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Hey fred18,this looks to be a great project,could you please add max Q vapor To the effects also?Thanks
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 Hey fred18,this looks to be a great project,could you please add max Q vapor To the effects also?Thanks
Sure,

actual tricks like using dummy boosters etc will remain available but the idea is also to add new possible entries in ini file like this effects

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Hi Guys,
for your information project is going on well... I'm able already to parse most of the ini file, to build the full stack, with correct masses, stages, engines etc.

I'm about to start to code staging, once done that only guidance system will remain to have a new multistage.

I was thinking in the meantime to the additional features asnd that's my ideas:
- as said autonomous guidance computer as in Jarvis DLL (it will be the biggest feature)
- failures (I could leave this for last I think)
- Mach 1 Vapours with simple ini calls
- possibility to have rotated payloads (actually missing and could be very useful)
- ullage effects with simple ini calls
- possibility to have "live" payloads: with an option the payload will actually load itself and will not be a dead mesh

comments or any other ideas are more than welcome!

cheers
Fred

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development