Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Bj
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
 Copy that, could I launch the com satellites in Mars Orbit? I am thinking of SkyLinkSat as perhaps the main communication array for transmitting orders from spacecraft en route or leaving Mars, or transmitting communication from Mars to Earth, and Earth to Mars. I am most likely going to figure out someway to get SkyLinkSat in Mars orbit.

Currently, there we have no way to simulate 'radio strength' between Earth and Mars, so placing objects around Mars would have to be static unless there is enough support for simulating radio cutouts and whatever. I agree though that in real life, new com sats will need to be put around Mars so that we don't have to worry about a sat failing at a bad time.

Last edited by Bj; 06-17-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Bj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
 But, setting up the comsat's will be essential for the first expeditions! We will need to set up one comsat for now, for communication.
*facepalm*

Sorry, that is wrong. First of all, we don't know which region the com-sat should cover, next, we can set it up with the crew.

Quote:
And communication satellites are no ground operations!

Last edited by Urwumpe; 06-17-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Post was moved.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 People will be between 10 and 20 most likely. As far as condition, i don't believe that orbiter can simulate cryosleep as yet so they will have to be awake and active. This will necessitate 02 reserves for 6 months (at least), storage areas for food and water and habitat areas, as well as shielding from radiation.
Doesn't DanSteph's ISRU do that? Just to demonstrate that it's possible. I think that realistically, the crew would not be kept awake during the trip if possible; we need to save weight in resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexw95 View Post
 i have just recently figured out how to make meshes so if anyone wants to me to make some meshes and then you code them il help with that
Do you know how to make textures? I can do any 2D graphics if you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 *facepalm*

Sorry, that is wrong. First of all, we don't know which region the com-sat should cover, next, we can set it up with the crew.
Well, I think it's right that it should be set up with the crew, or at least during the same launch window that they used. I assume that they would release it into Mars orbit before going to the surface, to provide better communications coverage/backup com systems redundancy.
And if they release it on their way, wouldn't it already be close to the orbit they want it to cover? Why wouldn't they know where?
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Crab View Post
 Doesn't DanSteph's ISRU do that? Just to demonstrate that it's possible. I think that realistically, the crew would not be kept awake during the trip if possible; we need to save weight in resources.
If you are talking about suspended animation, or cryogenic sleep, do keep in mind that the OFMM is using all current or NEAR future technology. Suspended animation has never been accomplished and likely will not in the next century, let alone the next 20 to 30 years. No, I think putting the crew to sleep is simply out of the question unless somebody has access to information that I don't in that regard.
Bloodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Well, we don't want to cover orbits - we want the satellite in line of sight of both Earth and mars base for the time the Mars base is on the Earth opposing side.

For the few days where the sun inhibits communication, we could need a relay satellite at the Earth L4 or L5, since these points are stable and more stable then the Mars ones.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #21
Bj
Donator

Quote:

This pretty much confirms what I guessed, cryogenic sleep is not possible right now. And somehow I doubt it will be actively used within 50 years.
Thanked by:
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 This pretty much confirms what I guessed, cryogenic sleep is not possible right now. And somehow I doubt it will be actively used within 50 years.
Well, by possible, I meant possible now with UMMU, not for real. I read that page, and I agree, cryogenic sleep is not near us (due to freezer burn), but that isn't the only method of suspended animation. Experiments have been done using Hydrogen Sulphide to induce a state of slowed metabolism in mice; don't know how far that's gone since, but it just shows that freezing is not the only way. And also, our goal isn't to completely stop and resurrect the crew; keeping them in a state of somewhat lowered metabolism ("knocked out") while hooked up to oxygen and an IV drip would still accomplish a preservation of resources. Plus, we don't want any psychological problems, having them living with each other in this spacecraft for months...

I'm not trying to fight what you're saying, though. It is kind of a ridiculous concept. I dunno, what does everyone else think?

Also, just a random comment, but I've frozen and revived frogs before. Seriously! They're meant to take the cold. Please don't hurt me.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
 Well, by possible, I meant possible now with UMMU, not for real. I read that page, and I agree, cryogenic sleep is not near us (due to freezer burn), but that isn't the only method of suspended animation. Experiments have been done using Hydrogen Sulphide to induce a state of slowed metabolism in mice; don't know how far that's gone since, but it just shows that freezing is not the only way. And also, our goal isn't to completely stop and resurrect the crew; keeping them in a state of somewhat lowered metabolism ("knocked out") while hooked up to oxygen and an IV drip would still accomplish a preservation of resources. Plus, we don't want any psychological problems, having them living with each other in this spacecraft for months...

I'm not trying to fight what you're saying, though. It is kind of a ridiculous concept. I dunno, what does everyone else think?

Also, just a random comment, but I've frozen and revived frogs before. Seriously! They're meant to take the cold. Please don't hurt me.

Having a crew on a ship for months is not traumatic for them. Between the 4 space stations that have existed, astronauts have spent as much as 18 months (possibly as much as 24, ill have to do a little research) at a stretch in a spacecraft. The 4 to 8 months it will take to get to Mars is pretty much nothing in comparison.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
Bj
Donator

Quote:
but I am not an amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodworth View Post
 Having a crew on a ship for months is not traumatic for them. Between the 4 space stations that have existed, astronauts have spent as much as 18 months (possibly as much as 24, ill have to do a little research) at a stretch in a spacecraft. The 4 to 8 months it will take to get to Mars is pretty much nothing in comparison.
The only thing that might be gained from having a long hibernation is the amount of food and therefor weight we need to bring along. However, I really doubt someone can be put under anesthetics for a month at a time, and if it really would turn out beneficial.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #25
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bj View Post
 but I am not an amphibian

The only thing that might be gained from having a long hibernation is the amount of food and therefor weight we need to bring along. However, I really doubt someone can be put under anesthetics for a month at a time, and if it really would turn out beneficial.

Agreed; on both counts.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #26
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

OK, I'm convinced now. Hibernation or whatever you want to call it is probably too far into the future, and there's the problem of the body weakening after floating in zero-G. Actually, I know a guy who has spent over 9 months aboard the ISS.
I think we need to take COLBERT with us, or else our crew will become weak.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #27
Bj
Donator

Quote:
  there's the problem of the body weakening after floating in zero-G. Actually, I know a guy who has spent over 9 months aboard the ISS.
I think we need to take COLBERT with us, or else our crew will become weak.

The 0G problem has already been identified kindof,

We will use a vehicle like this:

That will rotate at whatever speed to generate some artificial G. Though exercise equipment will still probably be needed.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
Bloodworth
Orbinoob

There is exercise equipment meant to help combat bone density loss in 0g, however, that does not fall within the perview of orbiter. Since we can't actually move around while ON the ships we simply declare that such equipment is present on the vessel and in use. We have so many things under development for this project that I think that the last thing any of our developers is going to want to hear is "Hey, can one of y'all model an exercise bike and figure out a way to make it usable by ummu?" :D
Thanked by:
Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #29
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

LOL I wasn't really serious, but yeah, now I remember that design mentioned somewhere. Really cool concept! Yea, the guys should be just fine.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #30
fireballs619
Occam's Taser

Does anyone have info on how the development of the stack is going right now? Just to clarify, we are using SSBB 4.0 and the Nerva 2, correct? Looking at the wiki page, are we no longer using the stack (it makes no mention of it)? I could just be horribly misinformed :D
fireballs619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM