Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #1516
GLS
Addon Developer

About a little discovery I made: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...&postcount=475
A while back I hacked a fix so we could launch to a 28.45 orbit by making a dog-leg late in the ascent, but was never happy about it.... now I know the source of the issue.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #1517
GLS
Addon Developer

Official response to other SF project:
Quote:
Hello,

On Tuesday, April 10th between 00:40 UTC and 17:38 UTC, SourceForge experienced a filesystem failure that affected a limited number of svn commits, causing them not to be saved. We resolved the issue as soon as we became aware of it, but commits from a small number of projects, including yours, were affected. Everything should be ok from now on.

Sincerely,

SourceForge Support
I'm trying the merge for the 674th time (no, really) to see if SSU is also fixed... but I'm not holding my breath as their SVN issue predates April 10th.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Surprise surprise...
Thanked by:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #1518
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Official response to other SF project:

I'm trying the merge for the 674th time (no, really) to see if SSU is also fixed... but I'm not holding my breath as their SVN issue predates April 10th.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Surprise surprise...
Where do we stand on this SVN aspect? I have noticed a few issues with the orbiter mesh and I'd like to check in the fixed version.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #1519
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Where do we stand on this SVN aspect? I have noticed a few issues with the orbiter mesh and I'd like to check in the fixed version.
Still little progress: yesterday the guy asked to check if it worked... and it didn't. I even updated to the latest version of TortoiseSVN and nothing changed.
There are people with issues since the move to the "new server", about 2 months ago, and are still waiting...
Old 04-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #1520
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Still little progress: yesterday the guy asked to check if it worked... and it didn't. I even updated to the latest version of TortoiseSVN and nothing changed.
There are people with issues since the move to the "new server", about 2 months ago, and are still waiting...
Maybe I should make an official request to Xyon about some space on the O-F servers as temporary measure? Is the repo history really that important? Sure, we have to start from 0 again, but maybe it's worth transitioning away from S-F? That includes our ticket list, those could easily be recreated here on O-F.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #1521
Face
Beta Tester

I don't get it. Is it a write problem? I can get the SVN commits up to 2817 ("Updated the STS-1 in orbit scenario to have the orbiter in a more historically accurate orbit.") just fine. Also the VC branch up to 2816 ("updated branch to latest trunk").

Do you guys need a merge operation done to get a consistent project status? If so, what versions need merging?
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #1522
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 I don't get it. Is it a write problem? I can get the SVN commits up to 2817 ("Updated the STS-1 in orbit scenario to have the orbiter in a more historically accurate orbit.") just fine. Also the VC branch up to 2816 ("updated branch to latest trunk").

Do you guys need a merge operation done to get a consistent project status? If so, what versions need merging?
Yes, I had no problems reading or writing to the repo. Everything is as it should on my end.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #1523
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:

So, from the begining: I (was) working on the AerojetDAP, getting it find the runway vertically in Orbiter 2016 and also making corrections, and it got to a point where I wanted to backup things. As it is still far from finished, it makes sense to put those changes in a branch and not break the trunk. As this work can be labelled "upgrade to Orbiter 2016", why not use the existing OrbitersimBeta branch? "I just need to update it with the latest changes in the trunk"... That was April 2...
I'm now on my 3 checkout, which were all a stop-start affair, and I still have the same issue when making the merge on the OrbitersimBeta: REPORT request on '/p/shuttleultra/code/!svn/me' failed. shows up after a few files. About 5% of the time, the connection is closed by some reason or the server sends a 504 error.
I tried to do the same operation on the vc branch and it worked, and DaveS committed a file to the trunk.
Meanwhile there was another server meltdown on April 10, which caused some projects to lose revisions. Luckly SSU wasn't affected.
And here we are...
Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #1524
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 So, from the begining: I (was) working on the AerojetDAP, getting it find the runway vertically in Orbiter 2016 and also making corrections, and it got to a point where I wanted to backup things. As it is still far from finished, it makes sense to put those changes in a branch and not break the trunk. As this work can be labelled "upgrade to Orbiter 2016", why not use the existing OrbitersimBeta branch? "I just need to update it with the latest changes in the trunk"... That was April 2...
I'm now on my 3 checkout, which were all a stop-start affair, and I still have the same issue when making the merge on the OrbitersimBeta: REPORT request on '/p/shuttleultra/code/!svn/me' failed. shows up after a few files. About 5% of the time, the connection is closed by some reason or the server sends a 504 error.
I tried to do the same operation on the vc branch and it worked, and DaveS committed a file to the trunk.
Meanwhile there was another server meltdown on April 10, which caused some projects to lose revisions. Luckly SSU wasn't affected.
And here we are...
I see. That's the typical SVN crap you get if you are trying to switch branch into a dirty working copy, I guess. I'd try to archive the project status you have into a ZIP file, then do a clean checkout of the OrbitersimBeta branch elsewhere, unpack the archive, then try a checkin.

So in essence the SSU SVN repo on SF is just fine, but your working copy is borked. To be honest, borked working copies are not unknown with Git as well. I never had them with Mercurial, but then again this DVCS is not mainstream, but more like an expert insider tip .
Thanked by:
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #1525
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS
I've seen this kind of stuff before and then it wasn't S-F's fault but rather mine. I had ended up with a bunch of corrupted SVN files which only a clean check out cured.

Have you tried with this rather than trying to merge/switch a potentially corrupted installation? That could explain why you're the only one with the problems, it's all on your end. Your corrupted files confuses the heck out of the SVN repo and it does what it does in confusing situations: Dies and reports an error.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote:
 I see. That's the typical SVN crap you get if you are trying to switch branch into a dirty working copy, I guess. I'd try to archive the project status you have into a ZIP file, then do a clean checkout of the OrbitersimBeta branch elsewhere, unpack the archive, then try a checkin.

So in essence the SSU SVN repo on SF is just fine, but your working copy is borked. To be honest, borked working copies are not unknown with Git as well. I never had them with Mercurial, but then again this DVCS is not mainstream, but more like an expert insider tip .
Face: Seems like we're both thinking along the same lines here, that GLS now has a "SVN-dead" installation. Something has gotten mangled and it now prevents proper operation of the whole SVN system.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #1526
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:

You didn't read what I wrote.
After the first try (which failed), I deleted everything (I saved the AerojetDAP files... somewhere) and since have done 2 checkouts. Every single time, even the first time, I had a clean and unmodified WC when I switched to the OrbitersimBeta branch, and performed the merge operation, like I've done several times before. This time it failed.
There are people in other projects complaining that they can't do merges since the server upgrade (this is the first try in SSU since that), or they happen very slowly. That, and the fact that I managed to perform the very same operation on another branch, IMO excludes me from the "guilty party".
I agree that the stuff in the server is fine, but for some reason access to some files doesn't "flow" as it should.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #1527
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 You didn't read what I wrote.
After the first try (which failed), I deleted everything (I saved the AerojetDAP files... somewhere) and since have done 2 checkouts. Every single time, even the first time, I had a clean and unmodified WC when I switched to the OrbitersimBeta branch, and performed the merge operation, like I've done several times before. This time it failed.
Well, I read what you wrote, but perhaps I did not understand it. This is what I read:
Quote:
And here we are...
There you did not write that you saved the files and did clean checkouts. I'm sorry for perhaps misinterpreting your "3 checkout", was it meant to mean "3rd clean checkout"? Is "stop-start affair" meant to be a clean checkout where you apply the files again?

Quote:
 Every single time, even the first time, I had a clean and unmodified WC when I switched to the OrbitersimBeta branch, and performed the merge operation, like I've done several times before. This time it failed.
What about checking out the OrbitersimBeta branch right from start? You don't have to checkout the trunk first, then switch. And what merge operation are you talking about? Using a merge tool like WinMerge manually on the archived files and the one from the - now clean - working copy?

If you talk about the merge operation that is done server-side to get a somewhat reasonable history for it, I can imagine various things that cause this rather clunky mechanism in SVN to fail miserably (one of it being a server update). My advice would be to not use it. Just checkout the branch, apply your archive, and check it in again. If you want clean merge histories, migrate away from SVN.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #1528
GLS
Addon Developer

Checked out the OrbitersimBeta branch alone (good speed and no problems there). Went straight to the merge and... same error...

I'm using the "normal" merge command from the TortoiseSVN context menu. I use the default settings which merge "a range of revisions", which AFAIK merges directly-related branches.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #1529
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
 Checked out the OrbitersimBeta branch alone (good speed and no problems there). Went straight to the merge and... same error...

I'm using the "normal" merge command from the TortoiseSVN context menu. I use the default settings which merge "a range of revisions", which AFAIK merges directly-related branches.
What branch do you try to merge into the OrbitersimBeta branch? The trunk? Did you try the standard SVN client (command-line) instead of TortoiseSVN? Perhaps the Tortoise command is not compatible with the newest/installed server version anymore. Even if you have installed the latest Tortoise, this could easily be the case, because usually the server and the GUI clients are different projects lead by different people. The standard CLI client is normally developed by the server people.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #1530
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 What branch do you try to merge into the OrbitersimBeta branch? The trunk? Did you try the standard SVN client (command-line) instead of TortoiseSVN? Perhaps the Tortoise command is not compatible with the newest/installed server version anymore. Even if you have installed the latest Tortoise, this could easily be the case, because usually the server and the GUI clients are different projects lead by different people. The standard CLI client is normally developed by the server people.
So, not having much confidence in the CLI approach (the GUI should be just a shell) I went to download the "official stuff", only to find out that it is already sent with TortoiseSVN...
Figured out how to merge via command line and it started, showing the files in the same order as it does in the GUI. And it kept going, and going..... and going, and it finished!!! Wow, could the problem be here after all? So I tried to GUI again and got the same old error. Back to the CLI again and BAM, same error. Reset the whole thing = same error.

So it seems I got "lucky" with the CLI once (something that also happened with the GUI maybe on April 5), so IMO this path leads to the same place: nowhere.

As in the CLI the error ID is show (E175002), I did a quick search and it seems to be a server issue indeed. That and the fact that the error occurs +/- in the same files.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra