Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #46
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

A Skylab-B, with the port-side solar array functional would be pretty cool. But then the Smithsonian would be without an exhibit. UMMU and UCGO compatable would be pretty sweet.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #47
BruceJohnJennerLawso
Dread Lord of the Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 [*]Saturn 5 & Saturn 5 Intermediate: I've completed the meshes and have the beginnings of a .dll module but it is on the back-burner until the LM and CSM are further along.
Could you be a little more specific? The number of Upgraded Saturn V ideas is huge, so the launcher in question could be a lot of things. Maybe you could do all of the Saturn V versions as one configurable DLL, similar to Delta IV Launch vehicles?
BruceJohnJennerLawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #48
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJohnJennerLawso View Post
 Could you be a little more specific? The number of Upgraded Saturn V ideas is huge, so the launcher in question could be a lot of things. Maybe you could do all of the Saturn V versions as one configurable DLL, similar to Delta IV Launch vehicles?
"Saturn 5" and "Saturn 5 Intermediate" refer to the 3-stage and 2-Stage variants of the "Saturn C5" launch vehicle used to launch the Lunar Missions and Skylab.
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #49
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 "Saturn 5" and "Saturn 5 Intermediate" refer to the 3-stage and 2-Stage variants of the "Saturn C5" launch vehicle used to launch the Lunar Missions and Skylab.
Actually, Skylab was launched by a regular unmodified Saturn V.

The version you're thinking of was called the INT-21 which would have seen the relocation of the Instrument Unit (IU) from its original location atop the S-IVB to atop the S-II.

For Skylab the IU remained atop the modified S-IVB that Skylab was and once on-orbit, it was safed and the OWS systems took-over from there.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #50
Hlynkacg

Strictly speakin Saturn V was never an official designation.

Both Skylab and the lunar missions were launched by an unmodified Saturn C5. The INT 21 designation comes from the canceled Saturn Improvement Program and was added after the fact.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #51
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
 In addition to the above list, there are a bunch of programs and space craft from the Apollo era that I would really like to see in Orbiter (and will make 'em myself if I have to ) but haven't done anything about. Some of them will make thier way into future releases of AAPO. Others may end up as their own addons.
  • Other LM Derivatives: LM Shelter / Hab Module for dual-launch Lunar missions, Lab, Telescope, Logistics Module / Unmanned Tug, Manned Space Tug, etc...
I sounds like you may be duplicating some of the work found in this:
Beyond Apollo

(Especially the shelter/hab dual launch missions)

However, these are spacecraft3 implementations. Perhaps you could talk to rossco about using the meshes, etc. to implement into your project?

Just a thought.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #52
RacerX
Donator

Hlynkacg can you please respond to my PM's and let me know something about the scenarios I linked to you? I would appreciate some feedback negative or positive. It took me awhile to create them and I would like to know if this is something you are interested in.

Last edited by RacerX; 05-26-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Edited as not to offend!
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #53
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
 Hlynkacg can you please respond to my PM's and let me know something about the scenarios I linked to you? I would appreciate some feedback negative or positive. It took me awhile to create them and I would like to know if this is something you are interested in.
What do you want me to say?

You are free to create / upload your own scenarios and addons that use AAPO spacecraft and components. My position on such is explained in the readme under the creative commons license.

As for your specific scenarios, I haven't touched them as installing AMSO on my AAPO working build or including AMSO spacecraft/scenery in AAPO scenarios would defeat the purpose of designing AAPO to be a "stand-alone" addon.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #54
RacerX
Donator

ok Thanks thats all I needed to know
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #55
Hlynkacg

Alpha Release #2 is live.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

Alpha Release #2 Details.
  • The Apollo Command Module has a new, interactive, VC.
  • New "Complex" Flight Models for more accurate modeling of launch and reentry.
  • 10 Surface bases have been added to the moon. these bases reflect the sites officially targeted by NASA for human exploration as of 10/30/1968. They are...
    • Copernicus Crater: A lunar Impact crater on the northern edge of Mare Insularum. It has a prominent ray system and multiple central peaks, which were the intended landing site of Apollo 19.
    • Descartes Highlands: A high plateau with prominent layering formed by ejecta from the Alphonsus and Descartes impact events. It was visited by Apollo 16 in April of 1972.
    • Fra Mauro Highlands: A hilly geological area surrounding Mare Imbrium, and thought to be composed of ejecta from the impact which formed Imbrium. Fra Mauro was the intended landing site of Apollo 13, prior to it's in-flight failure and was visited by Apollo 14 in February of 1971.
    • Gassendi/Clarkson Formation: Two overlapping craters at the northern edge of Mare Humorum, that were partially inundated with lava during the formation of the Mare. They were the intended landing site of Apollo 18.
    • Hadley Rille / Apennine Escarpment: A valley on the eastern edge of Mare Imbrium bordered by the 'Apennine Front' mountain range. It was visited by Apollo 15 in July of 1971.
    • Marius Hills: A large expanse of volcanic domes and suspected lava tubes on the southern edge of the Ocean of Storms. The Marius Hills were the intended landing site of Apollo 14 prior to Apollo 13's failure, and a proposed alternate landing site for Apollo 20.
    • Ocean of Storms: AKA Oceanus Procellarum. The original landing site of Surveyor 3, it was visited by Apollo 12 in November 1969. This is only instance thus far of Human explorers "catching up with" an extra-terrestrial probe.
    • Sea Of Tranquility: AKA Mare Tranquillitatis, location of the first human footsteps on the moon.
    • Taurus / Littrow Valley: A lunar valley on the southeastern edge of Mare Serenitatis formed by a massive impact event between 3.8 and 3.9 billion years ago. Visited by Apollo 17 in December 1972.
    • Tycho Rim: Tycho is a very prominent impact crater located in the southern lunar highlands and named after the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe. It's rim has a noticably different composition from the surrounding surface and was the intended landing site for both Surveyor 7 and Apollo 20.
  • Numerous bug fixes major and minor.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #56
Loru

Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #57
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loru View Post
You flew it, how did it go?

Were you able to complete TLI and transposition/docking?

Last edited by Hlynkacg; 06-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #58
Woo482

It doesn't work quite as expected, I think because the spacecraft uses DetachChild to detach itself from the launcher in flight. I imagine that could be fixed by making the launch adapter a separate vessel and then attaching that to the HCLV though.
Woo482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #59
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo482 View Post
 It doesn't work quite as expected, I think because the spacecraft uses DetachChild to detach itself from the launcher in flight. I imagine that could be fixed by making the launch adapter a separate vessel and then attaching that to the HCLV though.
It does.

The SLA is currently treated as part of the CSM until the "BoosterSep" routine is triggered. However, this is easy enough to change if it would improve compatibility with 3rd party LVs.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Ok new format for the complete Apollo launch stack has been completed and tested. The SLA is now an independent vessel to which the CSM and LM are then attached and pass their mass/aerodynamic forces.

Last edited by Hlynkacg; 06-14-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #60
Hlynkacg

Major work going on behind the scenes, I've been doing my best to consolidate duplicate functions/code and document what remains. Unfortunately this kind of work is not conducive to flying around in orbiter and taking screen shots.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development