Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Forum Space Station Project news & discussions for all OFSS versions.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Castor
Orbinaut

Project OFSS IV-discussion thread

It seems that OFSS III has gone into some sort of hibernation. Since IMS has become reasonably stable now, I was wondering if it would be possible to restart the effort; but this time, incorporating IMS. What do you guys think of this ?

Last edited by Castor; 05-23-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Are you volunteering to serve as flight director?

From personal experience I can tell you it's more work that you might think. Coordinating pilots and schedules can be pretty tricky.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Castor
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Are you volunteering to serve as flight director?
I am not sure.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If someone is interested, please reply with your feedback here.

Last edited by Castor; 05-06-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

I wouldn't mind catching a mission or two. But I'm pretty clobbered up here at work to help out any with station design/layout.

I'm up for pretty much any platform too (shuttle(s), capsules, DG variants, and the XR fleet).
Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Castor
Orbinaut

I was also thinking something along same line. My original choice would be these:

1) Spacecraft:

Soyuz TMA (crew transfer)
CTV (crew transfer)
XR-5 (station assembly)
Tranzit tug (station assembly)

2) Launchers:

Themis-A
HCLV
Jarvis (dll version)

I also think that the timeframe for the station must be set in the immediate future, thus limiting power sources to RTG's and solar panels.

If someone else has better ideas for the station, please feel free to speak up.

Last edited by Castor; 05-06-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
orbitingpluto
Orbiteer

I don't have much experience building space stations- most of time was spent in the planning stages and trying to find time to actually fly the missions for it- but I think if I'm qualified to share anything then it would be this: start with the point of the station itself, then think about what stuff to add from there. Pick vehicles and other addons that fit with what the station is supposed to be. In your case one of the goals is something fun for fellow orbiteers to fly to and build on, so one thing to keep in mind is to pick vehicles that interested members want to fly.

Although I doubt I can particpate, I do know that for me flying around in a Soyuz TMA is pretty serious stuff, with a lot of emphasis on getting my burns done right and being careful. If I was particapating, I'd suggest thinking about something like the XR2 for crew rotations, because at least for me, it's forgiving and fun to fly. But since I'm unlikely to participate, my opinion shouldn't count for much; if anyone is interested and able to get in on this, their opinion should obivously count for more.
orbitingpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
ADSWNJ
Scientist

I'd love to fly some missions. How about building something spectacular out at a LaGrange Point (somewhere that's interesting to fly to and get back home in 1 piece). Not sure of the logistics, but maybe place a fabrication base on the Moon first, and ferry people and logistics from Earth to LEO, transfer either to LEO-LG base, LEO to Moon Base Beta (assume!!) then MBB to LG Base. I assume the interstellar freighters would be best for the non-atmo / non-landing trips.
ADSWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Maybe a station in LEO, with a secondary purpose as a construction site for...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ex...components.jpg

From there a lunar station, then a lunar base.
Then Mars moon base (Phobos), follow by Mars surface action.

This'll take years.
Thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Castor
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSWNJ View Post
 How about building something spectacular out at a LaGrange Point (somewhere that's interesting to fly to and get back home in 1 piece). Not sure of the logistics, but maybe place a fabrication base on the Moon first, and ferry people and logistics from Earth to LEO, transfer either to LEO-LG base, LEO to Moon Base Beta (assume!!) then MBB to LG Base.
Seeing how most of the other missions failed due to an eventual loss of interest, I don't know if this is the best idea as a LaGrange station would take up a lot of time. In addition,there would be a large number of course corrections required to keep the station there. If we have a working platform in LEO, we can think about further expansion to the moon and the LaGrange points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitingpluto View Post
  If I was particapating, I'd suggest thinking about something like the XR2 for crew rotations, because at least for me, it's forgiving and fun to fly.
If we decide to use the XR2, at the least the launch has to be made more realistic, preferably the HCLV sidemount version carrying the XR2 to orbit.

Now, as for a LEO station, I have some form of a layout. Once I have assigned missions and ensure that it is plausible, I will put it up on this thread.
Meanwhile, I am also waiting for confirmation from Tex as to the status of OFSS III. The station can hopefully be completed before we begin this one.
Thanked by:
Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

I would suggest testing the planned layout in advance if you intend to use IMS. People tend to forget details and get roasted or somesuch...
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Castor
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 I would suggest testing the planned layout in advance if you intend to use IMS. People tend to forget details and get roasted or somesuch...
Yep, I have already built the station in orbit as a proof-of-concept.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #12
Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

I'm building a lunar station in a 100km orbit around the moon at an inclination of Brighton Beach. I'm using the XR5 for my module launcher and I just finished mission 154... about 650 to go.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Dantassii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #13
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

I'm not sure such a station would be practical given the nature of so many (or so few) pilots and differing schedules.

I'd rather recommend no more than maybe 12 -15 modules, with some filler missions for PAX & Pony transfers. 20 might be a stretch, and it would depend on the number of pilots on the roster and their level of involvement/commitment.

Stay focused on the project, and layout everything you need on a spreadsheet (craft/manifest, launch dates, return dates, launch site, recovery site) particularly what module is going where.

Any screenshot of what the finished product will look like?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Castor
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Any screenshot of what the finished product will look like?
This is what I intend as of now (docking ports have to be added) :

The APAS docking assembly is be connected to the hab module on the extreme right.

The Soyuz/CTV docking system will come on top of the lab module on the left.

The station is powered by a pair of solar panels and four RTG arrays (seen on the left).

My initial estimate is about 10-11 missions to complete the station and about 2-3 crew rotation missions.

Any feedback is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

I made a small change as to the positioning of the radiators.

Last edited by Castor; 05-15-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
Thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Have you got a CMG? Other than that, I got nothing. Looks good

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > Orbiter Forum Space Station