Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
4throck
Enthusiast !

Crazy question: is there some way to render the UI using HTML+CSS.
A responsive layout would be the best way to handle multiple resolutions
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #17
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Crazy question: is there some way to render the UI using HTML+CSS.
There would be a way, but yes, it's crazy. Basically it would require an implementation of HTML/css on top of sketchpad, which comes with several caveats where sketchpad just isn't able to do all the thigs it would need to, and it would be much more complicated than we need it to be (not to mention really, really slow). The thought did cross my mind at some point, which is why I can immediately list off the problems.

Also, css is one of the worst GUI-toolkits I've ever worked with. As somebody once pointed out, "the problem with css is the cascading, and the sheets!"

Game UIs in general don't do dynamic responsiveness. They do at loadup to various degrees, and as mentioned, this is possible to implement in our GUI toolkit with some modifications that have to be made anyways. But the big difference here is that games (and IMS2 as well) pre-render their UI, because redrawing it is way too resource hungry when you need every bit you can get to run the realtime 3d stuff. If IMS2 would be using sketchpad to draw the UI dynamically instead of just to render bitmaps once and then blitting them, the loss in framerate would be in the double digits when there's lots of redraws going on.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #18
crisbeta
Orbinaut

For now only a small bug: I lost all the fuel when splitting a vessel (disassemble).

I tested launches from Earth for small subobital stages and 2 stage suborbital (2 IMS2 vessels docked). I had some problems setting docked vessel on the launch pad without flipping out on one side, but this shouldn't be a concern for now because Orbiter 2016 patch will contain some modifications for landed vessels.

Also a vessels with landing gear deployed seems to be more unstable than with landing gear retracted (not a concern for now; see above).

IMS2-alpha is very stable (more stable that IMS-RC9). I like the way you implemented IMS2; this is a more general approach than IMS1 (module, properties, functions), wich opens the code to almost everything.

Very nice job I hope you will find time to continue with this wonderful add-on.
crisbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #19
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
For now only a small bug: I lost all the fuel when splitting a vessel (disassemble).
Whoops, will have a look at that.

Quote:
I tested launches from Earth for small subobital stages and 2 stage suborbital (2 IMS2 vessels docked).
Interesting experiment. Not exactly what IMS2 is built for. We have zero aerodynamics, and not really any planed.

Quote:
Orbiter 2016 patch will contain some modifications for landed vessels.
It will? You seem to know more than I do

Quote:
Also a vessels with landing gear deployed seems to be more unstable than with landing gear retracted (not a concern for now; see above).
Define unstable, please. Unstable as in "doesn't stand right on the pad", or "crashes more often"?

Quote:
IMS2-alpha is very stable (more stable that IMS-RC9). I like the way you implemented IMS2; this is a more general approach than IMS1 (module, properties, functions), wich opens the code to almost everything.
Yeah, that was pretty much the plan. Just wait until you'll be able to build subsystems into modules during runtime
Thanks for the nice words!

Quote:
I hope you will find time to continue with this wonderful add-on.
Finding time right now, as a matter of fact.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons