Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #46
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

BrianJ's Beta compatible F9 and FH still work with the release.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #47
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
 BrianJ's Beta compatible F9 and FH still work with the release.
F9 and FH?
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #48
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
 F9 and FH?
SpaceX Falcon 9
and
SpaceX Falcon Heavy
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #49
Eduard
Orbinaut

Quote:
 TransX is included with Orbiter; I'm not counting included stuff.[COLOR="Red"]
Yes, but I am talking about this one:
TransX 2016.04.04 MMExt for Orbiter 2016

This is the updated version by Enjo, with many improvements, which is definitely not included within Orbiter, but replaces the included one.
This updated version was not automatically usable for Orbiter 2016 before, but only for Orbiter 2010. It had to be recompiled by Enjo, apart from the default one in the Orbiter installation. Here is the build.

Quote:
 Is that this one? Screen capture
Yes. I meant that one.
Eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #50
Donamy
Beta Tester

ISS AtoZ works in Orbiter 2016, but all .dll vessels, (Soyuz, Progress, P4, CMG etc.) CTD when you press F1 for VC. SC3 vessels work in VC mode however.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #51
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

I hope UMMU gets sorted out soon.

It will be really good to go explore the new 3D terrain...
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:32 AM   #52
hutchison66
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Not make a self-promotion here, but why don't you transition over to SSU? That Shuttle Fleet would become non-working one day was always in the cards since it is closed-source and the author isn't around anymore. Now that that day has come, and it is time to make a decision: stick with Shuttle Fleet and watch the world move away from you, or get on the future train and experience something absolutely new and exciting.
its too complicated and always seems to be in development, I've had the Centaur booster working for well over a year now and its still being worked on by SSU. if David 413 doesn't want to do it any more he should just release the source code and let somebody else carry on working on it, its like I don't want to play any more but I'm taking my ball back. not fair on the rest of us who think his addon is great and did nothing wrong.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 ISS AtoZ works in Orbiter 2016, but all .dll vessels, (Soyuz, Progress, P4, CMG etc.) CTD when you press F1 for VC. SC3 vessels work in VC mode however.
Hi Don with ISS A2Z I don't think its worth it, think about it we both use D3D9 client for it so it makes very little difference to change over for very little return, I would have preferred collision detection rather than ground terrain, it would have put a bit of danger into docking and moving around the station. don't get me wrong I like the new terrain but I don't use Orbiter for Science fiction I've got No man's sky for that, but Orbiter is about realism and the one thing that's missing is Collision detection
hutchison66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #53
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchison66 View Post
 its too complicated and always seems to be in development, I've had the Centaur booster working for well over a year now and its still being worked on by SSU.
Yes, taking a 3D model and putting a propellant resource and a few thrusters is relatively easy and quick to do. Making a 3D model and coding stuff so it can at least sim the basics and separate from the orbiter correctly, while also doing the IUS and the rest of the shuttle system, with all the research and learning it takes, sadly is not so easy or quick.
It's the way it is, believe me I wish it could be faster and easier to do.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 01:57 AM   #54
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 Yes, taking a 3D model and putting a propellant resource and a few thrusters is relatively easy and quick to do. Making a 3D model and coding stuff so it can at least sim the basics and separate from the orbiter correctly, while also doing the IUS and the rest of the shuttle system, with all the research and learning it takes, sadly is not so easy or quick.
Exactly. Also it is much harder, if you care about integration into a bigger add-on and also invest much more time researching to have correct data before you implement.

Of course, we could also just make a simple animation there with an attachment and then require the player to switch vessel with F3, press CTRL+1 to deploy the Centaur, press J to jettison it and then switch back to the Space Shuttle for collision avoidance. (Or much worse with a spacecraft3.dll version)

But the resulting add-on would then no longer be SSU. We had always some kind of Burgfrieden with Shuttle Fleet because we never attempted to create a SF clone and IMHO it should stay that way.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 AM   #55
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
In fairness, I think that is hutchison66's point. All he wants is a simplified propellant resource and a few thrusters. Shuttle Fleet seems to provide that for him.

The fact the SSU is clearly much more ambitious is why he is rejecting it.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #56
JonnyBGoode
Sky Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Not make a self-promotion here, but why don't you transition over to SSU?
Is SSU confirmed working in 2016?
JonnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #57
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 In fairness, I think that is hutchison66's point. All he wants is a simplified propellant resource and a few thrusters. Shuttle Fleet seems to provide that for him.

The fact the SSU is clearly much more ambitious is why he is rejecting it.
Then there's the default Atlantis that comes with Orbiter2016.

Quote:
 Is SSU confirmed working in 2016?
A version for 2016 is currently in development. Major parts missing are making the GPCs smarter to fly to a runway at any ASL altitude and surface base conversion (runway leveling/etc). It will come out eventually.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #58
Wolf
Donator

Sorry to step in guys and please note this NOT a critique to the devs: SSU is probably, as you say, the "future Shuttle" for Orbiter. I know the enormous effort and dedication that you guys are putting in such an ambitious project but let me say something from the "user" side: SSU development started something like 7-8 years ago with huge expectations from everybody in the community. We all had the feeling that the Fleet was eventually getting kind of obsolete with no further development by the author and I think Shuttle enthusiats like hutchinson66 would be very happy to fly SSU on their STS missions. IMHO SSU has one big problem:it is very difficult to understand how it works (and what works so far and what does not). The fact that it is still under development together with (let me say it) the lack of a complete documentation on how to use it (or maybe some tutorials) generates quite a lot of frustration. Yes, you can say "look at the NASA FDF, these are the docs and checklists for SSU" but even using those manuals and checkilists is not straight forward as it may seem: not everybody is a Space Shuttle geek. I wonder how many people currently use SSU and how many don't for the above reasons.
Just my two cents
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #59
indy91
Orbinaut

Same thing with NASSP. And I say this as one of the developers. AMSO will always be the more accessible Apollo addon. NASSP and SSU can only ever be as user-friendly as the Space Shuttle Orbiter, the CSM and the LM itself. NASSP might have a slight advantage because the simulation of the CSM is more complete than the simulation of the Shuttle in SSU, but NASSP has also been in eternal development and didn't even have a proper release in a decade.

And to stay on topic, NASSP is currently not working with Orbiter 2016. There is a development branch for it, but currently it only has some experimental hold-down forces that are different from Orbiter 2010. Our Saturn rockets currently don't sit on the launchpad in Orbiter 2016 and there is a transient at launch that prevents good guidance. I think in general all of our accelerometers are broken. And without that, our spacecraft are fairly useless. What we are missing is manpower, especially people who are familiar with the Orbiter API and what has changed for Orbiter 2016.
indy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #60
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchison66 View Post
 if David 413 doesn't want to do it any more he should just release the source code and let somebody else carry on working on it, its like I don't want to play any more but I'm taking my ball back. not fair on the rest of us who think his addon is great and did nothing wrong.
Sure. And saying so repeatedly here won't change the situation one yota IMHO. I've seen that too often before.

Go to where there is even the chance that he is listening: Dan's place. Worship David's work there, and perhaps you will be able to talk him into updating it again. But perhaps leave out the "angry kid taking ball with him" part, that might be counter-productive.

Also, "just release the source code" is not a very good argument (although of course a valid one) if you know David's past and the recent discussions about open-source licenses.

"Not fair" is invalid IMHO, because the author of the addon owes you (and the rest of the community) absolutely nothing for using his free time to create something enjoyable and releasing it for free. If anything, it is the other way around.

I can understand your frustration seeing how personal decisions make your favorite addon vanish, but please try to understand the author's view, too:
It is his work he gave away for free for you to enjoy, and for whatever reason he now don't want to work on it anymore (or at least not as fast as you would like to have it). Who are you to tell him what he should do now with it?
Perhaps he got frustrated with the community just as much as you are frustrated now, and thought to himself: "don't work for the community, let the community work for you!"

And unfortunately I have to tell you: I would understand that thinking very well, if it is so.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons

Tags
2016, addons, working