Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Default Updated XR Vessels for Orbiter 2016 Released

It's Tuesday, all! Updated versions of the XR vessels for the new Orbiter 2016 have been released. You can get them on my Web page.

Happy flying!
dbeachy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
Anroalh12
ETSII

Can we use them with Orbiter 2010 P1?
Anroalh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 AM   #3
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

No, these versions were built against Orbiter 2016 and make some Orbiter 2016-specific calls, such as the new gear stiffness API calls and hull touchdown points -- if you try to run them in Orbiter 2010 P1, they will crash.
Thanked by:
Old 09-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Does that mean that XR downloads for Orbiter 2010 will no longer be available?
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

That's correct, I don't host old XR vessel versions.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:06 AM   #6
Keatah
Orbinaut

Wayback Machine still has the 2010 versions:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313...m/index-3.html
Keatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
PeterRoss
Warranty man

I've found quite strange behaviour with XR-2 and XR-1 vessels. If you're trying to yaw even just a little during the takeoff run, even at the very beginning of it, you're sending your XR into an insane drift, making it look like you're drifting on ice or something. XR-5 is much heavier, I guess it's why it drifts much less crazy. Nothing like this with genuine DG.
PeterRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
rodion_herrera
Moonwatcher

Bug report:

It seems that if you turn off APU, and then turn it on quickly, hydraulics (control surfaces) don't work/respond. Then if you turn it off again, and then turn it back on, then wait for around 5 to 10 seconds, then hydraulics work.
rodion_herrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodion_herrera View Post
 Bug report:

It seems that if you turn off APU, and then turn it on quickly, hydraulics (control surfaces) don't work/respond. Then if you turn it off again, and then turn it back on, then wait for around 5 to 10 seconds, then hydraulics work.
Powering up the APU always takes 2.5 seconds (not 10 -- details are on page 42 of the XR Flight Operations Manual.), and from testing here, it is working as designed: the hydraulics work right when the APU is back online (you can test this easily with the wheel brakes). Remember that powering off the APU automatically sets the AF Control Surfaces to Off, so you will need to turn them back on as well when the APU comes back online.

If you can reproduce a scenario where it takes 10 seconds for the APU to come back online, please post detailed steps with a scenario and I'll see if I can reproduce it here.
Thanked by:
Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 AM   #10
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRoss View Post
 I've found quite strange behaviour with XR-2 and XR-1 vessels. If you're trying to yaw even just a little during the takeoff run, even at the very beginning of it, you're sending your XR into an insane drift, making it look like you're drifting on ice or something. XR-5 is much heavier, I guess it's why it drifts much less crazy. Nothing like this with genuine DG.
Try to turn off atmospheric wind effects.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 Try to turn off atmospheric wind effects.
Alas, it's not helping. XR2 is still drifting along the runway like a cow on ice. As little as 20 m/s of groundspeed is well enough to send the vessel into side drift by yawing.
What is happening exactly:
1) I turn the main engines on for a couple of seconds so the vessel starts moving.
2) then I produce some rotation around vertical axis. RCS is off, it's all about air control surfaces and nosewheel I guess. At this point vessel is starting to rotate sideways, increasing the angle between the movement vector and nose vector with almost constant rate. It keeps rotating even though I let controls free.
3) then I try to compensate rotation by producing opposite rotation. Rudders are visibly starting to move, but physically nothing happens until the moment rudders are in opposite maximum state: only then the opposite rotation is applied. But it is as uncontrollable as the one in step 2.

I can't correctly control rotation around vertical axis while on ground. Still, everything looks fine in the air.

Am I the only one who met such a problem?

Last edited by PeterRoss; 09-06-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
streb2001
Orbinaut

Is the runway flat? I get this problem when taking off from Liverpool in Orbiter 2016 and I think it is caused by the terrain not being level.
streb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
PeterRoss
Warranty man

Quote:
Originally Posted by streb2001 View Post
 Is the runway flat? I get this problem when taking off from Liverpool in Orbiter 2016 and I think it is caused by the terrain not being level.
In my case it is Cape Canaveral, flatest of the flats (I hope so at least).

Last edited by PeterRoss; 09-06-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
migviola11
Orbinaut

Thank you so much dbeachy1! I really love playing orbiter with XR vessels.
migviola11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 09-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #15
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

Quote:
 Alas, it's not helping. XR2 is still drifting along the runway like a cow on ice. As little as 20 m/s of groundspeed is well enough to send the vessel into side drift by yawing.
I've looked into this, and this should be fixed in the next XR patch release: what I've done is tweak the nosewheel steering assist to lower the max airspeed of the assistance from 90 m/s to 15 m/s.

Quote:
 What is happening exactly:
1) I turn the main engines on for a couple of seconds so the vessel starts moving.
2) then I produce some rotation around vertical axis. RCS is off, it's all about air control surfaces and nosewheel I guess. At this point vessel is starting to rotate sideways, increasing the angle between the movement vector and nose vector with almost constant rate. It keeps rotating even though I let controls free.
3) then I try to compensate rotation by producing opposite rotation. Rudders are visibly starting to move, but physically nothing happens until the moment rudders are in opposite maximum state: only then the opposite rotation is applied. But it is as uncontrollable as the one in step 2.

I can't correctly control rotation around vertical axis while on ground. Still, everything looks fine in the air.

Am I the only one who met such a problem?
Regarding this:

Quote:
Rudders are visibly starting to move, but physically nothing happens until the moment rudders are in opposite maximum state:
I have not seen that. Note that when using the keyboard, however, it takes a few seconds for the rudders to return to neutral / move to opposite lock (unlike a joystick axis, which moves them instantly). Also, your ship's velocity vector does not change the instant your nose is pointed left or right of the vector (this is all handled by the Orbiter core), so that is also part of the lag you are seeing.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons