Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old
Orbinaut
Arrow Mars One Mars transfer vehicle
by Richfromengland 02-27-2016, 11:47 PM

Hi,

I've uploaded here in a windows zip folder, the config file, textures, mesh file and scenario. The scenario is just a standard orbit of the Earth. No navigation to Mars.

It is only an MTV.

If anyone wants a capsule, please download the Falcon 9 addon released back in 2010, there is only one of that name, and date. http://www.orbithangar.com/search_qu...x=0&submit.y=0

Here is another Mars vehicle, whether or not someday something like that actually leaves Orbit via Mars One's ambitious goal of putting settlers on the rusty looking planet.

Thanks to gattispilot for preparing it for orbiter.

Thanks for giving it a try.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mars One MTV addon.zip (250.6 KB, 52 views)
Views 4012 Comments 8
Thanked by:
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Hi, a nice model for a start!
To make live easier I grouped the files in their respective folders in the attached zip-file (Config, Meshes, ...).

I also added a simple lander and two scenarios. The Earth orbit scenario is a copy of your original scenario, just with the lander attached. Plus there is a Mars approach scenario.

Attached Files
File Type: zip MarsOne-01.zip (255.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by francisdrake; 03-01-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Vers. 01: Replaced MarsOne logo with custom texture.
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Richfromengland
Orbinaut

Hello Mr Drake,

Where is the capsule from?

Yes, the file was created by a cyber aquaintance who assisted with me a number of years ago with model vehicle creation in Zanoza Modeler. So that was created in Zmodeler 3, and sent to me, I just checked it out in Blender, then exported it for Gattispilot to do.

Oh well since you have done that I also have a terrain for it. How would that near approach work with that location near the Martian equator, but not directly on it, above the Mars scar or valley as it is one.

Thank you for the new addition. I'll give it a try at some point.
Richfromengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Made the capsule today, on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I thought, your addon would be incomplete without the lander, even if it is a simple one. Sized it roughly after the 'Red Dragon' concept.

Still I would not like to come to Mars like this. Once separated from the MTV you are condemned to land, and the direct entry into the Martian atmosphere is like hell!
Thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Richfromengland
Orbinaut

Well remember, Mars One will have a different setup than this illustration. Not suprising why they didn't let me their logo, as it doesn't give the right conditions to land such a small capsule, by crashing into the surface...

Even if only a loose illustration.

I'm going to try it out.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

I'm on my way to the planet, so at 10KM into the Atmosphere there should be enough fuel for a landing.

Slight problem, Mr Drake, you didn't use the Non for Profit's actual Mars One logo? I wasn't given permission to use it, only the custom one made by the person who create the transfer vehicle.

That will need to be deleted.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

I understand now what needs to be done, so when close enough near to Mars, then the capsule must be directed to the planet for a engine burn in lowering PEA.

I just wanted to add, since it is about Mars One, a book has been published just this month about what will take place, and the steps towards the first mission.

I'll purchase a copy of it in the near future.

I also noticed the roadmap has been edited. Crew training won't take place this year. It it scheduled to begin for next. And of course the first non personnel mission is still so far scheduled for the end of the decade.
Thanked by:
Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Yes, I copied the logo from the internet. It can easily be replaced by exchanging it in Orbiter/Textures/mars_one_logo.dds
Note that a replacement file needs to have the same filename.

When approaching Mars I do like: Change focus to the lander. Undock from the transfer vehicle. Orient the lander prograde. Switch the RCS to linear and lower the periapsis distance to <10 km. I use the linear RCS because it allows finer adjustment than the main engine.
Switch back the RCS to rotational mode. Increase time acceleration and enjoy Mars coming closer. At 1000 km turn retrograde. Enter the atmosphere at 40 km. When the periapsis starts to drop I turn the nose upwards and start thrusting slowly to control the descent speed.
Theory: Keep hovering until the forward speed is very low, gently descend to the surface.
Reality: Hit the surface with 200 m/s and bounce until the speed is bled off.
Thanked by:
Old 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Richfromengland
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
 Yes, I copied the logo from the internet. It can easily be replaced by exchanging it in Orbiter/Textures/mars_one_logo.dds
Note that a replacement file needs to have the same filename.

When approaching Mars I do like: Change focus to the lander. Undock from the transfer vehicle. Orient the lander prograde. Switch the RCS to linear and lower the periapsis distance to <10 km. I use the linear RCS because it allows finer adjustment than the main engine.
Switch back the RCS to rotational mode. Increase time acceleration and enjoy Mars coming closer. At 1000 km turn retrograde. Enter the atmosphere at 40 km. When the periapsis starts to drop I turn the nose upwards and start thrusting slowly to control the descent speed.
Theory: Keep hovering until the forward speed is very low, gently descend to the surface.
Reality: Hit the surface with 200 m/s and bounce until the speed is bled off.
Would of nice been to had to an engine burn to add to the trip to Mars.

Thanks for the tip on how to try and land the capsule, that was unexpected to have such a nice addition to the vehicle. I don't know if it is a module to land or a crew module, but since there is no terrain to line up with, I guess it be like the first transfer of infrastructure.

Since NASA would need spinning disc tech to land a lot of weight, it isn't suprising my Mars One went with the idea of using a capsule. Of course when one looks at that one or the actual dragon, you can't help but think that is a very small amount of space to travel in and live on the surface.

I did contact Mars One about the logo, but they never gave a reply to use it. Since it has been downloaded by a few people, hopefully nothing will happen.

I'm going to delete it and reupload the file on here.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I tried looking in the textures folder, and there is only the custom file, so where would you of put the actual Not for Profit organization's one?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
francisdrake
Addon Developer

I changed the zip-file to include your custom texture instead of the orignal logo. Sorry, have to put a copy directly in the Textures folder, as my modeller does not support nested texture folders.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:06 AM   #9
Richfromengland
Orbinaut

Question

If the Capsule remains on the booster stage, the booster can just sort of do a flyby of Mars, question is from there, or beyond can the fly by take it back to Earth orbit?

I recently saw again the old clip of Barack's bold vision of sending personnel to the planet to orbit, so I remembered the Mars one booster addon.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons