Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #31
Master of Blades
Orbinaut

Nope... i know about as much about programming as an ostrich does about nuclear technology...
Master of Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #32
orwellkid
Addon Developer

First off, this is a mighty fine project kind sir. I would be damn happy to use this.

As for the Map MFD, as far as I can tell, it dispalys your path based on inclination.

So, to display it, it would be something like:

Split the map into 2 zones, Seperated by the AN/DN

Zone 1, would dispaly course as:

inclination - 180 = angle of decending node

Zone 2, would display course as:

inclination + 180 = angle of ascending node

it would be a rather rudimentary line (projecting x1, y1 -> x2, y2, per zone), but it would be something. I'm not sure exactly how Martin does this with a wave formation, but it must be something similar, tying in the AN/DN lat/long juxtaposed Map lat/long.

Just my 2 cents.
orwellkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #33
davewave
Addon Developer

Does anyone have some source code to the MAP MFD used in orbiter or even the MAP displayed in Aerobrake MFD.

I've been trying to work out how to plot an orbit on a map and I've been using spherical coordinates whereby PHI is my inclination and Theta is given by the True Longitude.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html
This website explains all this but I'm only getting spherical representation.
There must be an easier way.

Just to reitterate, I'm duplicating the orbit projection which is seen on map MFD in orbiter but for my mission control mod.
davewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #34
spacegeek94
Orbinaut

wowy! id love to use this, it sounds outrageously fun! good luck, cant wait to see the end product! maybe just maybe, see if martin might want to hook up with you to put this in newer versions of orbiter. maybe it will make it as a standard in future versions.
spacegeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #35
spcefrk
Ph.D Student

A quick suggestion:

Could you make the interface sort of standard so that others could make "skins" for it? I absolutely love what you're working on here but I'd like to be able to use it in different styles -- perhaps a couple of different NASA styles (1970s, 1980s, Modern) or futuristic ones. It would be cool if we could select fonts and colors and whatnot.

You definitely need the orbit displayed on the map (and I asked for this elsewhere) but could someone make a political map to show the track over? If I were running a mission control I'd be less interested in the color of the ground they're over than a map with radio ranges, political lines, etc...

I'm not much good for programming anything but Matlab and Fortran, but if I can help, shout.
spcefrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #36
davewave
Addon Developer

Hi.
The programming language isn't the issue, just getting the math is all I need.

Skins are definatly on the horizon and not impossible for me to do but right now I'm getting the mechanics all working.
What I could use is an internet test. Can someone run OrbConnect on an orbiter client and send me the ip address!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #37
SiameseCat
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewave View Post
 Does anyone have some source code to the MAP MFD used in orbiter or even the MAP displayed in Aerobrake MFD.

I've been trying to work out how to plot an orbit on a map and I've been using spherical coordinates whereby PHI is my inclination and Theta is given by the True Longitude.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html
This website explains all this but I'm only getting spherical representation.
There must be an easier way.

Just to reitterate, I'm duplicating the orbit projection which is seen on map MFD in orbiter but for my mission control mod.
Well, what you're really trying to do is graph a sinewave on the map.
You'd have an equation like
y=PHI*sin(x-LAN), where PHI is inclination, LAN is longitude of the ascending node, x is longitude and y is latitude. You can use this equation to display the orbit.
SiameseCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #38
davewave
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseCat View Post
 Well, what you're really trying to do is graph a sinewave on the map.
You'd have an equation like
y=PHI*sin(x-LAN), where PHI is inclination, LAN is longitude of the ascending node, x is longitude and y is latitude. You can use this equation to display the orbit.
Thanks so much.
I'll give this a shot
Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #39
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

THe ground track only looks like a sin wave for a circular orbit in a low inclination, though. A polar orbit, for instance, looks like a square wave.
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #40
to be
Orbinaut

This probably seems obvious, but just in case, make sure your inclination is based on EQUATORIAL data.
to be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #41
davewave
Addon Developer

I don't know if this equation is entirely correct because if I was orbiting from north to south pole, this equation assumes a constant progression along the x-axis which clearly isn't the case in a high inclination orbit.

I think there is more to it then just plotting a sin graph as well because if you look at a high inclination orbit you will see the peaks and troughs of the sine-wave are skewed to fit the bottom of the earth.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #42
tblaxland
Webmaster

If the sim is running non-spherical gravity sources, you also need to take into account the regression of the LAN. There is some info in Orbiter\Doc\Technotes\gravity.pdf on how to calculate the rate of regression.
tblaxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:01 AM   #43
davewave
Addon Developer

Default Alpha

Ok everyone.
I'm releasing an initial alpha because I want to make sure the program is working on other peoples computers.

You will need to download the OrbConnect Mod from:
Orb:Connect v1.0

And you can download the Zip which you just extract anywhere to your computer ensuring to maintain directory structure:
eg.
c:\orbiterMC.exe
c:\images\EarthLO.jpg

You will also need to install the two fonts supplied with the program to make it work properly.
In windows you can access your fonts directory by going into your control panel and selecting the fonts icon. Then just drag and drop the two fonts into this window

Download This file: MCFO.zip

You need to ensure you have enabled the OrbConnect mod in the orbiter panel and that you have allowed permissions for your firewall if using XP.

I would like to hear feedback in regards to speed, response, crashes and also if you are able to do an internet test rather then just a local test.

Have Fun!!

*I hold no responsibility for any damage caused by this program, its got no viruses on it as far as i'm aware but run at your own risk*

p.s. you will also need the latest .NET framework installed on your computer available from microsofts website

Last edited by davewave; 06-23-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #44
davewave
Addon Developer

Update:
Ok I have just finished reprogramming the network code. Now its super stable.

Upcoming features:
* Attitude Display
* Ascent Profile
* Autoswitching maps based on current major body of influence

The new code produces the highest possible frame rate of information and its all based on the orbiter clients frame rate.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #45
davewave
Addon Developer

Default New Website

Hi all,
Well its official. Mission Control for Orbiter has a homepage.
You can go there now by following this link.

http://new-frontiers.sourceforge.net/index.htm

The program also has a place on sourceforge so avid coders can help out if they like or just keep tabs.

All further downloads and screenshots will be posted on this website so as to ease the burdern on Orbiter-Forum.com servers.

Cheers!!

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons