Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewave View Post
 Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean by mixed mode assemblies but basically I am using OrbConnect API which by the way is the best thing I've come across in orbiter and saves me time having to write a DLL or anything.
A mixed-mode assembly is a native DLL that can be loaded by native programms, but contains .NET code. This way, a native plugin can use .NET functionality. OrbConnect's approach seems to be using the TCP/IP-stack for data exchange between managed and unmanaged worlds OTH.

Quote:
  I don't need to write a .NET wrapper because the OrbConnect already takes care of that for me. All I do is send and recieve the API command as I need (In plain text format) and it acts almost like a remote procedure call.
Ok, I understand... you're only doing the frontend in .NET.
Best wishes for you project !
Face
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #17
yagni01
Addon Developer

Glad someone's making an Orb:Connect client.
On the top of my client list (the one I haven't been able to get to) is a graphical MFD with pages for PFD, ND, and EICAS for orbiter flightdecks. Something that provides more info at higher resolution than the stock MFDs

Second is a configurable hardware interface with connectors for Phidgets, LED-Wiz, Key-Wiz, GP_Wiz, etc.

PM me if you want some details.
yagni01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #18
Arrowstar
Probenaut

If you're programming a mission control app, at the very least you're going to want these console positions:

Flight Director
FIDO
Booster/Prop
Guidance

Others could include EECOM and others, depending on what the controlled ship is and what sorts of data is being used. A capcom console would also be nice, if only to give the person simulating capcom a console to look at. I'll be honest, I've never seen the consoles themselves in real life, so perhaps someone more suited to this area could help out and perhaps also list content on each console position.
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #19
davewave
Addon Developer

Face,
Just thought that there is no point in developing ANOTHER API for orbiter, might aswell use the ones that are available and have something available for the whole community.

Yagni can you send me that MFD stuff please!
davewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #20
davewave
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstar View Post
 If you're programming a mission control app, at the very least you're going to want these console positions:

Flight Director
FIDO
Booster/Prop
Guidance

Others could include EECOM and others, depending on what the controlled ship is and what sorts of data is being used. A capcom console would also be nice, if only to give the person simulating capcom a console to look at. I'll be honest, I've never seen the consoles themselves in real life, so perhaps someone more suited to this area could help out and perhaps also list content on each console position.
Whilst this might be true for an apollo mission, can the same be said for say a descarte mission to jupiter or a deltaglider run around mercury?
What I hope to develop are non-stereotyped positions which each have a role to fulfill and all contribute to the outcome of the mission regardless of the craft being used.

This way the mission control program will be adaptable to any new craft which gets put onto orbithangar.

Lets not forget the Shuttle here too!!! could be loads of fun
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
TSPenguin
The Seeker

Now all we need is a modified voice tool that delays delivery of the message according to distance.
Sign me up!
TSPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
thomasantony
Orbinaut

Thumbs up

Oh yea. . that puts my crazy nerd imagination into overdrive.. I can just imagine coming home from college and flopping down in front of the comp. Putting on my headset, taking over from the flight controller on the other side of the world. ... Going through Go-no-go s for TLI .. oh yea .. :beach: .. and blabbing .. "Ok CAPCOM tell 'em we are go for TLI!" ... while my sis really starts to understand that I have watched Apollo 13 and From the Earth To the moon too many times

Getting the Go for burns over the headset while flying as pilot would be even more cool .
~
Thomas
thomasantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
davewave
Addon Developer

Just some food for thought with this concept:

You could have crews of mission control running all over the world who take turns at controlling the mission, handing over at every shift whilst the pilot gets some sleep or plays the mission in real time!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
DaveS
Addon Developer

Could this software be used to simulate scenarios like this one:

It's a ascent simulation for the STS-26R flight deck crew, with video being the STS-51J launch video.

So could it be used in this fashion for Orbiter? That you have someone acting as the flight deck crew and someone being Sim Control creating various problems for you.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #25
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 So could it be used in this fashion for Orbiter? That you have someone acting as the flight deck crew and someone being Sim Control creating various problems for you.
Just as addition - implementing a network protocol into SSU is the smallest problem for us. I did such stuff far too often in the last ten years.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #26
Arrowstar
Probenaut

Quote:
 Whilst this might be true for an apollo mission, can the same be said for say a descarte mission to jupiter or a deltaglider run around mercury?
What I hope to develop are non-stereotyped positions which each have a role to fulfill and all contribute to the outcome of the mission regardless of the craft being used.

This way the mission control program will be adaptable to any new craft which gets put onto orbithangar.

Lets not forget the Shuttle here too!!! could be loads of fun
Alright, I see your point and agree with you here. In this case I'd recommend perhaps developing some Orbiter Air Traffic Controller software that could be used by stations, bases, and outposts to monitor vessels. Besides the basic statistics of each vessel (fuel state, engine state, velocity relative to primary, cargo/payload/attached vessel, etc), it would be useful perhaps to have a 3D view of the space around the controller's location showing each vessel within x km. For bases, it could be a 2nd screen with the same concept. It would be great fun in my opinion to run a Prelude-II base, managing inbound and outbound traffic, cargo transfers, etc. Obviously some of the fun would come from the comm chatter, but being able to see where other vessels are in relation to the controller's position and using that information to direct them would be awesome.

I realize that the multiple vessel scenario I described above won't happen until OMP gets more complete (which I look forward too!), but it can't hurt to code it in now, huh?
Arrowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #27
yagni01
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Could this software be used to simulate scenarios like this one:

It's a ascent simulation for the STS-26R flight deck crew, with video being the STS-51J launch video.

Remember we're working with the orbiter api. You "sim sup" could set fuel to 0, or turn an autopilot off, but I think there's an issue with turning engines off in that Orbiter just recalculates it the next timestep, so it won't stay off. Using the messages available for XR-series vessels gives us more capability, but there's not much available yet to talk to/command internal vessel systems.
yagni01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #28
davewave
Addon Developer

Default update

Hi all.
Here are some initial screenshots of the Mission Control for Orbiter at work.

This is the home screen which allows you to connect to an orbiter client and establish an uplink to begin a communication session with that client.
At all times you have control over the speed of the simulation. *Note that this mission control forces a maximum of 100x speed if the client tries to go higher.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mc1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	671

Here is the bulk of what I've been doing all this time.
This should be familiar to most orbinauts except that Periapsis and Apoapsis information is color coded. You can click and drag to recenter the orbit display and there is a zoom tool below.

Name:	mc2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	672

Lastly on the menu for now is the tracking map which allows an overview of the current orbital location of a planet using a map.

Name:	mc3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	673

Down below of each screen you may have noticed a status panel. This will flash based on the current situation where "Network" indicates a net connection to the orbiter client and "Xfer" represents data coming in and going

Last edited by davewave; 06-21-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: I hate making spelling errors
Old 06-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #29
Master of Blades
Orbinaut

It looks cool, but in the map screen, you ought to have an indicator of the ships orbital path (as in the map MFD)
Master of Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
davewave
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Blades View Post
 It looks cool, but in the map screen, you ought to have an indicator of the ships orbital path (as in the map MFD)
I'm not actually quite sure how to do this. any ideas?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons