Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addons A repository for Orbiter addons contributed by users. Developers & members may announce new releases here and discuss any Orbiter addon.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #16
Loru

I can't code so I won't help you.

I made a try and figured out that both CameraMFD and TelescopeMFD don't working in external view. I'm not sure how difficult would be to fix it.

Mission screen can look like this:
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
Usquanigo
Orbinaut

Loru, that is awesome. How did you open the MFDs up in nothing like that? (I know, rtfm, right? lol) I guess you're 'in' some sort of ship that is just on the ground, then in External views, right?

If only that could be in some sort of building or tower thing. That might even solve the problem of camera MFD.

The delayed repsonse time sounds like a great idea too, but that is way out of my league. But for the inner system it would be a small delay anyway, so I guess it could be written off, but once you get to the outer planets, it would be more of an issue.

But for quick'n'dirty I think Loru's method has it nailed. Perfect for unmanned cargo launches up into orbit, or probes to local neighbors.
Usquanigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
Loru

Actually if you look at orbit MFD or Aerobrake MFD you'll see that the ship is in orbit.

Camera is in ground mode targetted at Cape Canaveral. Here is camera code in .scn file

Code:
BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET Cape Canaveral
  MODE Extern
  POS 1.90 23.84 -41.81
  TRACKMODE Ground Earth
  GROUNDLOCATION -80.66035 28.58054 325.00
  FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA
In orbiter launchpad I just enabled Rcontrol & ExtMFD and then from F4 sidemenu brought on screen 4 instances of ExtMFD and configured them.
Thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
Loru

Basically RControl is not needed because focus is still on ship you're piloting. Numkeys would work. I added rcontrol for example.

For scenery there is always an option to make detailed mesh of the control tower and to put camera inside it.

That was easiest way
Now a little ambitios future look

----------- Folowing text is an add-on idea to explore-------------

I think there is a way to design window similar to Rcontrol but with working & linked cameraMFD like utility and few configurable mfd's and then using this window as control center.

Unfortunately I can't code and this looks like big project for me.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
docabn
Orbinaut

I think all you would need is an external MFD function that mimics "orbiter remote vessle control" where it allows you to select what vessel you want to get the information from. This would not account for time delay though that would be a neat feature feature. But you could, I believe control multiple unmanned, or manned vessles from a remote loaction.
docabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

Are you looking for something like the Gaia station control room?
River Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
docabn
Orbinaut

looks nice but will we be able to control other vessles from it?
docabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #23
deltawing777
Orbinaut
Default rudimentary Mission control

I dont think this is a necropost since the information is relavent. If not I appologize. So we have a Rudimentry Mission Control now with the release of WebMFD.Thanks to the author Timelzayus. Check this Thread for more info http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19062
deltawing777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #24
davewave
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyon View Post
 Well now you see, the problem is... who gets to fly the Ravenstar?

All those people signing up for a mission who can do nothing but watch, in the best traditions of mission control, fair enough, but I'm not seeing a lot of fun in sitting around watching someone play Orbiter when I could be playing Orbiter myself...

It sounds like a cool idea in principle, I agree, but once you look into it a little we start to get problems. I think this has also actually been attempted once. Have a look at this - and do note that it's still a beta.
-Mod Note-
From now on, this is the thread for any discussion about mission control addons for Orbiter. Any posts or threads about mission control for Orbiter will be merged with this thread, except for those in the 'OrbitHangar Addons & Comments' forum which are associated directly with an addon on Orbit Hangar.
Happy Orbiting
Holy Cow. I just came back onto the forums and I can't believe my mod was being linked. That would explain the 1849 downloads!!

Yes, Well, the idea behind this mod was to have it setup in such a way that one player would be the pilot and 3 or 4 people would run mission control. Then, most of the decisions would be determined by Mission control and communicated (say via teamspeak) to the pilot.
Of course, as mentioned, it can get pretty boring and this is only because in orbiter there isn't any "systems" checks that need to be done. No crew sleep cycles, eating, scientific tests etc etc. On a bad day, the spacecraft in orbiter will ALWAYS work (unless they simulate damage).

Anyhow, if the request ever came up again to do something like this I might consider it, but right now I think things like OFSS are much more exciting. I'm also considering to make a mod that monitors achievments which can be posted on the forum for bragging rights. (EG transport 5 crew without exceeding unacceptable G forces).
davewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 AM   #25
Matrix52
Orbinaut

Hi,
I am working on a classroom based Mission control sort of thing using labview
Matrix52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #26
Goth
Occasional orbinaut

So...
for singleplayer Loru's solution is the best one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loru View Post
 I suggest using combo of:

1 - Remote Control MFD - for controling ship
2 - CameraMFD (Ed. Telescope MFD too) - onboard camera with nightvision to act like sensor
3 - all MFD's needed for navigation or you want
to incorporate

All mfd's you're using should be activated in "external MFD" window with ground based camera targeting other vessel (UGCO car for example) to avoid flips during orbital movement of craft you're piloting.
Although it's a kind of cheat, but not a big deal after all.

But what about multiplayer (or singleplayer without the possibility to "cheat" - e.g. changing the camera)?

Net issues can be easily solved with Hamachi or similar software. But what addon(s) to use remains a problem.

OMP is one option.

Orbiter Navigator seems dead, but it looks very good and the most advanced one; I hope it's open source. Anyone knows?

Orb:Connect
is just a base for development.

Mission Control for Orbiter Beta 1
looks very basic.

Orb::Connect LabView
is also very basic.

Orb::Connect::Web
is also very basic, although improving/developing it may be easy.

Remote Control MFD (SourceForge) is dead and it's only MFDs anyway.

WebMFD
, also MFDs only.

Gaia station control room "is singleplayer".

Looks like we don't have a perfect solution yet.
Well, this list may be useful.
Did I miss some?

Last edited by Goth; 03-05-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #27
fred18
Addon Developer

I think the very best for an MCC would be to use now the new orbConnect module, prepare html pages for FIDO, EECOM etc., with the possibility of storing flight parameters in simple files in order to recall them later on (to check if anything is going wrong) and to pass them through users.

Then 1 pc is running the simulation, the others connected through the net and talking through softwares like teamspeak can perform the proper MCC, remotely controlling the ship with WebMFD for example.

I would love to have time to implement this...
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #28
Goth
Occasional orbinaut

IMO controlling the ship is not what a mission control plugin should do, only monitoring it and sending trajectory information. Exactly what Orbiter Navigator and Mission Control for SSU was planning to do. For maneuvers the plugin will send its calculation results to a dedicated MFD and the ship will perform the maneuver by itself, either manually following those data or using an autopilot.
This will reflect what's actually happening between the shuttle and mission control.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 EECOM
Well this is vessel specific. However, since the standard seems to be UCGO and UMMUs, we could use that.
Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #29
fred18
Addon Developer

anyway the first step for an MCC could be the space network

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6231
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
kamaz
Unicorn hunter

For MFDs over the network, check out VNCMFD.

You could build you mission control application on ORC (description, download) -- it's written in C# Express, and has both VNC and Orb::Connect clients built-in. If you have installed NetDialog (download, description), ORC will also intercept dialog boxes.

Also you can check out
master/slave
which is designed for state synchronization between orbiters, but you could also use it to build a mission control application.

For all my add-ons, source code is included in package.
kamaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addons