Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
GLS
Addon Developer

Default So TortoiseSVN is now uploading projects...?

I was going to switch SVN branches and wanted to temporarily save some changes, and the recently added Shelve feature seemed a good idea. Start the process and instead of a quick "saving window" while it copies the few KBs of changes from one end of the HDD to the other, it shows an "uploading window" with many MBs going somewhere. Quick check of the connections, before aborting the process, shows the destination to be "client.your-server.de". To confirm, I kill the internet connection and the operation fails instantly.
The ideia behind shelve is to create a local copy of the changes, so later they can be re-applied, without the ever bothering the project server... or any other server... so what is going on???
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 I was going to switch SVN branches and wanted to temporarily save some changes, and the recently added Shelve feature seemed a good idea. Start the process and instead of a quick "saving window" while it copies the few KBs of changes from one end of the HDD to the other, it shows an "uploading window" with many MBs going somewhere. Quick check of the connections, before aborting the process, shows the destination to be "client.your-server.de". To confirm, I kill the internet connection and the operation fails instantly.
The ideia behind shelve is to create a local copy of the changes, so later they can be re-applied, without the ever bothering the project server... or any other server... so what is going on???
I guess it is a side-effect of trying to cram popular DVCS features into Subversion. IMHO they should have left it alone.

If you want to use local features, I'd suggest using the ubiquitous Git instead, perhaps with the integrated SVN bridge. Sooner or later you'll end up using it, anyway. Resistance is futile.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge