Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #61
Marg
Orbinaut

I second that, what DaveS states. Edwards and Vandenberg AFB deserve the same treatment as KSC, due to important role in US space program. Also there is such historic "place" which deserves this as well... water, but in new D3D9 it is at last more or less, but properly rendered.
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #62
reopen
Orbinaut

I finally figured out how to combine all 6 of the Earth Hi Res files and it worked perfectly. But im having trouble with the Moon Hires 1 and 2. I dont seem to be able to combine them with 7zip, and if i try to extract them individually 1 extracts fine but 2 always fails. I have downloaded it twice with same result. I know I am probably doing something wrong any help would be appreciated.

Brian
reopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #63
russm
Orbinaut

I've just grabbed the full texture set, and it looks like MoonHi_05_00.zip and MoonHi_05_01.zip are corrupt (truncated zipfiles). I deleted and downloaded again, and confirmed that what I'm getting matches the file size the server reports, but when I go to unzip I get this:
Code:
Archive:  mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip or
        mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip.zip, and cannot find mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Moon_v2/MoonHi_05_00.zip.ZIP, period.
(and the same for MoonHi_05_01.zip)
russm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #64
tebori
Orbinaut

Hello All

First Thank so much Martin for this amazing peace of software and for all your work you spent with it the last 15 years.

becouse this is a special thread about 2015 beta textures i will not write more off topic now.

i have installed orbiter 2015 with all high res textures.
textures\earth folder is 62,7 GB size.

today i flew to new york and the details where very poor. when i flew over florida or to west direction mexico the details are always very high. it looks like you would really fly.

i am software engineer so i want to report this maybe there are several problems in beta.
i will fly over a lot of areas in the next future. should i report this if i encounter similar problems with other places on earth.

thanks again for this amazing simulator
and thanks to everyone who made an addon for this...
tebori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #65
sleat
Orbinaut
Default MD5 hash for Earth.7z.001 is continually wrong

Hello,

Try as I might, both with Chrome and GetRight, I can't seem to get Earth.7z.001 downloaded properly.

The other (.002, .003, etc) files MD5 hash correctly. It seems to be the right size, however.

However, even though the .001 file will actually open in 7zip, its MD5 is not what's published on the webpage.

The file I have hashes as follows:
MD5 hash of file Earth.7z.001:
f6 12 c9 25 35 69 62 59 0a 0a 96 25 8b d2 c5 e3

Should I just go ahead and use it anyway? I wonder what's wrong?

UPDATE: I'm silly. I dunno what it was I did wrong, but trying .001 again from scratch fixed the checksum. ALL GOOD!

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited by sleat; 10-26-2015 at 08:17 AM.
sleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #66
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebori View Post
 Hello All

First Thank so much Martin for this amazing peace of software and for all your work you spent with it the last 15 years.

becouse this is a special thread about 2015 beta textures i will not write more off topic now.

i have installed orbiter 2015 with all high res textures.
textures\earth folder is 62,7 GB size.

today i flew to new york and the details where very poor. when i flew over florida or to west direction mexico the details are always very high. it looks like you would really fly.

i am software engineer so i want to report this maybe there are several problems in beta.
i will fly over a lot of areas in the next future. should i report this if i encounter similar problems with other places on earth.

thanks again for this amazing simulator
and thanks to everyone who made an addon for this...
Florida in general, and KSC in particular use higher texture resolutions in the current texture pack than the rest of Earth's surface. For the global Earth textures, I generated textures based on Landsat-7 scenes. Landsat 7 support 30m resolution (15m with pan-sharpening). I am currently not using the full resolution potential. I could probably go still one level higher (without having to use pan-sharpening) or two (with sharpening), resulting in a global texture package of 200GB or 800GB, respectively (zipped). However, processing the raw Landsat images is quite processor-intensive, and based on current experience, it might take me several months of full-time number-crunching to generate those textures. Since the resulting download size might be prohibitive for most users (not to mention the cost of hosting the downloads), it won't happen very soon.

For Florida, the textures are based on aerial imagery (digital orthoimage quarter quads) available for most of the USA at varying quality, but not for the rest of the world. Global high-resolution imagery is very expensive (typically > $10^5) so not really an option here. If you have a source for royalty-free high-resolution textures, you are very welcome to generate (and hopefully share) a texture set from it. Be warned though: a global texture set at the resolution of the current KSC textures would take up roughly 200TB (zipped) and several PB (after installation), at a crude estimate.

So in short: yes, NY is not supported at the same resolution as Florida in the current texture pack, and this isn't likely to change.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #67
ASharpEdge
Orbinaut
Question HD Texture Download Issues

I am having issues downloading the HD textures. I have download all of them 3 times now and still cannot get the MD5's to match. Even tried unzipping anyway to see if the MD5's were just giving me bad info but when I try to unzip with either 7-zip or WinRAR I get tons of errors.

I am no stranger to downloading and unzipping....Only thing I can come up with is the data is bad to begin with.....

Is another way to download the HD textures???
ASharpEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #68
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 ...Let me know if anything is unclear or could be designed better.
The homepage at
http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/or...turepacks.html

says:
Quote:
The zip fragments are also available via the peer-to-peer bittorrent protocol, allowing faster, distributed downloads with pause and resume functionality.
but there's no trace of downloadable torrents in those pages.
I don't now what it takes (sorry if it's unfeasable), but it could be nice to have them.
Ripley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #69
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
 The homepage at
http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/or...turepacks.html

says:

but there's no trace of downloadable torrents in those pages.
I don't now what it takes (sorry if it's unfeasable), but it could be nice to have them.
They did exist, but the nature of the way the torrents worked means re-creating them each time the tilesets are updated. I resolved to hold off creating another until the final version of the assets is complete, but if there is sufficient interest in a torrent set of the current version it's not a difficult matter to create one.
Xyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #70
Nicholas Kang
Spaceflight News Reporter

The moon high resolution textures failed. (I mean all 3 of them.) I couldn't open them using 7zip and extract them. Anyone, please help me. 7 zip says it could not open the moon.7z.003 as archieve. The same for the other 2.

Please help me. Anyone out there?

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

I tried the hi-res texture for earth, they failed either. Anyone to the rescue?
Nicholas Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #71
jroly
Donator

If they downloaded correctly, you should have all the zip files in the same folder and you start extracting the first one and 7zip should automatically decompress the rest. I downloaded them over a year ago and didn't have any problems, I have not done it recently.

Check the file sizes and the hash if there is one listed on the site.
jroly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #72
Nicholas Kang

Hello jroly, I don't understand what do you mean by "all the zip files in the same folder." I thought the zip files are downloaded separately. My Orbiter beta is installed in my D drive. But my hi-res texture 7 zip files are downloaded to the "Download" folder in my C drive. I first test the zip files by opening the archives with 7 zip. I f they can be opened without problems, I will move them to my Orbiter beta in D drive and extract them. The above method works with the hi-res texture for Mars, but not for Earth and Moon. I don't know why.

Also, why do you mention zip files? I though the archive are in the 7zip format, not zip files. I also don't know what is "hash". Please tell me more.

Thanks.

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

jroly, I have succeeded in downloading all 3 high resolution texture files for Moon. But I am only able to view the archive content of the first 7zip file, but not the second and third. I tried the same on my earlier Mars texture files and only the first Mars hi-res file can be opened. Does this mean that I just have to extract the first 7zip file and the rest will be extracted as well? (I noticed that the file names are the same, just that the extension numbers differ, i.e. from 001 to 003)

Nicholas.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #73
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Yes, exactly. It's a multipart archive.
Just put the files in one folder and only unzip the first one. 7zip will manage the rest.
Ripley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #74
Nicholas Kang

Thanks Ripley, I have successfully downloaded the hi-res texture for moon. the landscape is very impressive!

Now, I will start downloading the texture files for Earth. I will update you when I have succeeded. (I already downloaded the texture files for Mars and explored Olympus Mons and Mariner Valley.)

One question. Why is it that Mars is larger than moon but the texture files for Moon is larger than mars?

Nicholas.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #75
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
Why is it that Mars is larger than moon but the texture files for Moon is larger than mars?
We have higher resolution for the moon than we have for Mars...
jedidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta