Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #46
Notebook
Orbinaut

BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17547764

Hope this dosen't turn ugly.

N.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #47
tl8
Addon Developer

Once they start shipping them, things will go much much smoother. Not having half a million hobbyists on their backs will be a big win.

Once the button is pressed, I expect there will be quite a short wait for the rest.
tl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #48
Notebook
Orbinaut

I hope so.

Would have thought they'd sorted this compliance issue long ago, as soon as they had the board design finalised?

N.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #49
tl8
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 I hope so.

Would have thought they'd sorted this compliance issue long ago, as soon as they had the board design finalised?

N.
Their understanding was that it wasn't required (yet) because it is a dev board. RS and E14 probably orginally thought it was too. Then their lawyers got wind and decided that, no, they are a production board. RS and E14 don't want a court case to decide if it need CE or not just because some dumb person does something stupid. If R-Pi decided to sell them themselves, they probably wouldn't have the issue.

That said, in hindsight, it probably would have been wise to look into the compliance issue earlier in the program.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #50
Notebook
Orbinaut

Indeed, funny how these things come out at a late stage. Hopefully it gets sorted quick, don't want the raspberry to lose its shine...

N.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #51
tl8
Addon Developer

Quote:
Update, 8.40pm Mar 28: element14 have put out a new update to their FAQ, enlarging on what’s happening with CE compliance. It’s well worth a read – head on over!

Update, 6pm Mar 28: we have spoken with BIS this morning, and they have confirmed that, given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, any development board exemption is not applicable to us; as a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE mark prior to sale in the EU. As we mention below, we are working with RS Components and element14/Premier Farnell to bring Raspberry Pi into a compliant state as soon as is humanly possible.
http://www.element14.com/community/d...t-raspberry-pi

So that answers part of it.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

I would put money on the first 10k being out before the end of April, with the follow on batches starting in May. By the end of June, I think the backlog will be mostly gone.

---------- Post added 03-31-12 at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-30-12 at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Early pre-compliance work we conducted last week indicated that we were not simply going to be 'lucky' and everything is going to be perfect, but we could see quite clearly that the HDMI was a prime culprit, as expected. (Don’t you just hate being the lead engineer on a project with ‘issues’). However, work that Eben and myself did this week into the wee hours, (sorry Liz), brightened the horizon for me as we could see we were overdriving the HDMI and also had chosen a less than capable cable. (I'm not going to name and shame the supplier - should have bought it from e14!) The Broadcom chip is incredibly versatile and we have some definite options for ripping 10db or more off the key gremlin frequencies. Before you ask, yes, this should be enough.
As is normal in development, someone else's standard is the problem.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #52
Bibi Uncle
50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer

It reminds me of my Puppy Linux USB key. Plug it in a school computer, and have fun! It boots up in a few seconds and you have basic operating system.
Bibi Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #53
Notebook
Orbinaut

Bit of an update from RadioSpares...
https://eu.rs-email.com/pub/sf/Respo...h-RdnokJgpmk4I

N.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
Jarvitš
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibi Uncle View Post
 It reminds me of my Puppy Linux USB key. Plug it in a school computer, and have fun! It boots up in a few seconds and you have basic operating system.
I don't see the resemblance. This is an actual computer, not a storage device.
Jarvitš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #55
Bibi Uncle
50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer

You simply plug it in, and you have a working computer. Of course, my USB key needed a complete computer, but the school is full of that. The Raspberry Pi computer needs a at least a screen, a keyboard and a mouse. So, they do pretty much the same from my point of view.

But, of course, the Raspberry Pi computer is much more impressive.
Bibi Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #56
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibi Uncle View Post
 You simply plug it in, and you have a working computer. Of course, my USB key needed a complete computer, but the school is full of that. The Raspberry Pi computer needs a at least a screen, a keyboard and a mouse. So, they do pretty much the same from my point of view.
Let's put it this way: If Puppy Linux supported ARM, you could run Puppy Linux on a Raspberry Pi.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #57
tl8
Addon Developer

Good News

They have completed the CE (EU), FCC (US), Ctick (AU) and the Canadian (CA) tests successfully.

Just the mountain of paper work to complete and it can be shipped.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/978
Thanked by:
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #58
Notebook
Orbinaut

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17703852

Yay...!!!

N.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #59
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

However, still no message or order confirmation from either E14 or RS.
Artlav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #60
Notebook
Orbinaut

Its only a matter of time Guv, what could possibly go wrong...?

N.

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge