Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #25636
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

"Bundesland" is translated to "state".

Our country elections are between the two major parties of "Boss Hoss" and "Truck Stop".

(And the reporting about the election results also shows great the difference between BBC and Telegraph. At the BBC, they know that he is more like Goebbels)
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #25637
Topper
Addon Developer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ection_results
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #25638
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Jupp Heynckes is completely offline and its absolutely impossible to get him on the phone today.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #25639
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Herbert L. Connolly lost to Robert B. Kennedy by one vote, and it was his own. Connolly arrived at his precinct a few minutes after the polls closed and wasn't able to vote.
Well, that is one big fail...
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #25640
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Misadventures in procedural plot generation, part 2:

The crown negotiated a favourable arms deal with the king, at a local store.

At least, "the crown" in this case is in the meaning of "the government", not the object, but the King happens to be its only member, so the whole thing is still weird enough.

Fortunately, this one is just due to insufficiently narrow parameters and not due to a logic failure, but I guess there's going to be a lot of that as this little experiment continues.
jedidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #25641
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Misadventures in procedural plot generation, part 2:

The crown negotiated a favourable arms deal with the king, at a local store.

At least, "the crown" in this case is in the meaning of "the government", not the object, but the King happens to be its only member, so the whole thing is still weird enough.

Fortunately, this one is just due to insufficiently narrow parameters and not due to a logic failure, but I guess there's going to be a lot of that as this little experiment continues.

You mean the crown as defined by Terry Pratchett in his novel "Nation"?

Mr. Black straightened up. 'As you wish. We are known as the Gentlemen of Last Resort. We serve the Crown. Does that help you?'
'But I thought the king was-' The captain stopped, not wanting to say the dreadful word.
'He is dead, Captain Samson. But the Crown itself is not.'

'Ah, you've got it right at last, Mother, ' said the king. 'I'm me, not us. I am I, not we. One pair of buttocks on the throne, one head in the crown.'
Thanked by:
Old 11-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #25642
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
You mean the crown as defined by Terry Pratchett in his novel "Nation"?
Yeah, exactly that.
jedidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 PM   #25643
Notebook
Orbinaut

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...ppy-line-debut

Well, its colourful.
Notebook is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #25644
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

We had a major heist in Germany last night, with some invaluable pieces of the state treasure of Saxony being stolen from the Green Vault in Dresden. The burglars stole at least three sets of jewelry, altogether estimated in value up to one billion Euro. They stole three out of ten sets in the collection made of diamonds.

They had been noticed by security, but managed to escape with the jewelry before the police arrived. The security workers had been unarmed and did not try to arrest the invaders themselves. The burglars possibly also set fire to a power supply station near the vault, the fire fighters had been called to it and it at least turned off the street lighting. The possible escape car of them was found burnt later today.

Trying to sell the jewelry should be impossible to extremely hard, but even destroying the jewelry to sell individual gems could be worth it. Which would be a major loss, since most pieces in that state treasure are not just unique, but also often of an exceptional artistic quality. All pieces of the collection are known in the world and thus very hard to sell without getting caught.

The most valuable piece of the collection is on display in New York right now, with a rare 41 karat green diamond (green diamonds are already rare themselves).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50545003

Last edited by Urwumpe; 11-25-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #25645
Notebook
Orbinaut

On the news here, looks like they are more concerned about its history than its value. Sort of an odd threat that if anyone is convicted and the jewels are destroyed they get 10 times the usual sentence?
Not sure if that is legal or even a threat.

Better off trying a reward, not sure the cops would like that.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #25646
Notebook
Orbinaut

Missed it by a month, but always worth a reminder...

Old 11-26-2019, 01:34 AM   #25647
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 On the news here, looks like they are more concerned about its history than its value. Sort of an odd threat that if anyone is convicted and the jewels are destroyed they get 10 times the usual sentence?
Not sure if that is legal or even a threat.

Actually, that could make sense.

First of all, they will be punished for "heavy burglary (245 StGB)" in any case, just for reaching into a building they had no entrance to after using violence to open it. Thats already up to 5 years in prison, unless they would have stolen something really worthless.

Next, it would be a especially heavy case of theft (243 StGB), punished from 3 months to up to ten years for stealing an important historic artifact from a public exhibition.

Next, 244a would apply, since they did it as a team. Could mean another 1 - 10 years.

Would they destroy the artifacts, 304 would apply... another 3 years.

Now, the German system is quite complex to calculate the final full punishment. Essentially, you take the most severe punishment and add a fraction of each other punishment, until you reach 10 years. No summed up punishment is permitted to reach the realms of lifelong punishment.

Just returning the artifacts intact could mean just a few months in prison, which would likely be turned into a long probation period, if its the first such crime of the criminals.

Not returning them and destroying the artifacts, including the arson, and they could even face something along 7-8 years in prison.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 11-26-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 AM   #25648
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
 Missed it by a month, but always worth a reminder...

Henry V (1989) - Kenneth Branagh - Battle of Agincourt - YouTube
Did you see the Tom Hiddleston version? Much more personal and less Gilderoy Lockhart

Seriously though, my kiddo asked me if I'd known Gilderoy Lockhart had done a Shakespeare play (I think she was only 10 at the time) I just told her it was a wizard thing.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #25649
Notebook
Orbinaut

I had to look up the Gilderoy reference, not been to cinema for about 20 years!
So, Tom Hiddleston either.

I'm not a big Branagh fan, he was all over the place with his then wife and I thought he'd turn into another Olivier.

Peter Ustinov tells a nice tale of him rehearsing for Spartacus!

About eight minutes in, though its all worth watching.
Thanked by:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #25650
Notebook
Orbinaut

We do have music playing in some milking-parlours here. This is a bit over the top though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50571010

I wonder they get anxious about?

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags