Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #6991
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Coincidentally, time ago I started precisely the Nelson:

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Another very cool battleship was the Bismarck class. Or the South Dakota.
Even our Littorio class was not bad

Too much choice!
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 AM   #6992
Trekkie
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jameson View Post
 Coincidentally, time ago I started precisely the Nelson:

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Another very cool battleship was the Bismarck class. Or the South Dakota.

Too much choice!
I Just recognize this as you want to do them all i have the Same things
Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #6993
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
No not at all. Actually a beautiful ship.

Of the later period, the Long Beach was also a very nice ship design.

I am still disappointed by the lack of good ship simulators, the relatively old Dutch game series turned too much towards arcade. Especially steam-powered battleships lack some treatment. All you can find is tactical simulations, which are like Worms, but without the fun.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #6994
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Of the later period, the Long Beach was also a very nice ship design.
Wait a minute... this?

"Nice" is not exactly the first term that comes in my mind when I think about that ship...

Speaking of the vintage US nuclear cruisers, I've a soft spot for the Virginia class.

Clean, polished design. A lot of potential. Sadly, all of them were scrapped. The Ticonderogas can do more with less cost.
Thanked by:
Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #6995
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Wait a minute... this?
"Nice" is not exactly the first term that comes in my mind when I think about that ship...
It was the last US ship based on a cruiser hull, all later ships used enlarged destroyer hulls (Which limited performance and stability). Also, the boxy superstructure gives it a very clean and very distinctive look. And then, it also had a very modern weapon payload for its era - you have to remember, when it was build, most ships still look much the same like in WW2, the USA had only conversions of WW2 cruisers in this class.

This one was also a beauty... sadly already a dinosaur when it was build:

EDIT: Should the naval discussion disturb, I suggest moving it into another thread. Its not that much about Orbiter, though I think I have some anim8or models of one of my own ship designs somewhere in my backup folder.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 02-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #6996
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 This one was also a beauty... sadly already a dinosaur when it was build:
I read that the Vanguard, besides of his advanced (for the time) fire control system, had superb seaworthiness, that in NATO exercises proved far better than the celebrated Iowa class battleships. Only drawback, the very old main battery.

Obviously, a post WWII battleship was a waste of money and resources.

Quote:
EDIT: Should the naval discussion disturb, I suggest moving it into another thread. Its not that much about Orbiter, though I think I have some anim8or models of one of my own ship designs somewhere in my backup folder.
I agree.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #6997
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Thanked by:
Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #6998
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Solar-electric powered to Mars
High above the Martian surface the crew of the solar-electric tug prepares the Mars lander for its descent. The UFO-shaped body up front is the inflated high-speed decelerator heat shield of the lander.

Solar Electric Mars Ship with Lander and Orion
The solar electric ship in Mars orbit is configured for a surface exploration mission. The Orion has been relocated to a lateral docking port to give way for the lander. The lander has deployed its mushroom-shaped inflatable heat shield and is ready for departure.

The crew habitat consits of two ISS-derived modules, with a utility tunnel in between to provide independent energy supply and heat managment.

The picture is dominated by the large solar wings providing power to the electric drive. The drive itself is at the end of the lightweight center truss. It consits of two fold-out panels with Hall thrusters, an energy management system and heat radiators.

Two chemical thrusters are located at the rear of the ship, to provide an inital kick for the return flight later on.

Last edited by francisdrake; 03-04-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: 2nd pic added
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #6999
Nicholas Kang
Spaceflight News Reporter

Hooray! I have done the most accurate GEO burn in my life! A nice view of ThaiCom-8 hanging above the Indian Ocean.

In fact, it is so accurate that Orbiter failed to give definite LAN, LPe and AgP values, hence the zeros that appear beside these 3 orbital parameters. (Or so I thought)

Last edited by Nicholas Kang; 02-28-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Nicholas Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #7000
NukeET
Gen 1:1

Lunar swirls (Orbiter 2016):

Reiner Gamma

Mare Ingeni

NukeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #7001
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

So my VSA manager was wandering around looking for some support equipment and a new command ship. Come across this stuff, hopefully coming soon.

I think if the gun were removed and replaced with a tracking dish (inside a radome of course) it'd make a decent thing to have around. Looking for a good model of a gator-freighter to pervert for orbiter use. I've been tinkering around with a mesh somewhat based on the USS Wasp. But I think it might be too big, maybe the JDF with one of their Helicopter Destroyers?
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #7002
marcogavazzeni
Addon Developer

Old ship.

marcogavazzeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 03-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #7003
martins
Orbiter Founder

Experimenting with a LOD-based label layer. Found a database with 11 million labels for Earth. Here you see a sample scene picked entirely randomly ...

(No it's not - going skiing there tomorrow _grin_ )
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #7004
Pipcard
mikusingularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 I've been tinkering around with a mesh somewhat based on the USS Wasp. But I think it might be too big, maybe the JDF with one of their Helicopter Destroyers?
lengths:
USS Wasp (CV-7): 210 m (waterline), 225.93 m (overall)
USS Wasp (CV-18): 250 m (waterline), 266 m (overall)

Hyūga-class
: 197 m
Izumo-class: 248 m
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #7005
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

I was thinking of the "Gator Freighter" Wasp (LHD-1), she's 257 meters with a 32 meter beam, which makes her at the limit Panama Canal transit (NeoPanamax limits are different, but this is as large as I can see making). Fun fact. One of my past Officers-in-charge when I was in HSL-44 was once the skipper of Wasp (he's a 2 star admiral now )

The America class is a little more desirable I think (maybe, I keep changing my mind). Main difference is there is no Well Deck. It's a cleaner look.

But I'm thinking the JDF Hyuga is more economical. And far less manpower intensive.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
screen, shots