Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Support & Bugs Support & bug reports for Orbiter addons.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 The only two "extras" that SSU makes us of is OrbiterSound 4.0 and Usonian's Vandenberg AFB 2006. We already have Usonian's permission to fully include it with our release pack. OS 4.0 is fully optional, not having it won't make Orbiter CTD upon loading the SSU scenarios.
Thats no extras like I meant, those are external dependencies and if we can include the VAFB... did we also get permission for derived works?

extras like I mean: Software components, that we developed ourselves, but which are not necessary for playing SSU in a minimal functionality sense (The spine of the add-on). The crawler for example is not needed for a launch campaign, but allows to play the pre-launch-campaign scenarios.

VAFB would also not be needed for a minimal SSU, if its included, it would be an extra as well.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 06-27-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Urwumpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Thats no extras like I meant, those are external dependencies and if we can include the VAFB... did we also get permission for derived works?
There's no derived works. The only thing changed is replacing Usonian's static SLC-6 (all of the SLCs are built from standard static surface base objects) with ours.

Quote:
 extras like I mean: Software components, that we developed ourselves, but which are not necessary for playing SSU in a minimal functionality sense (The spine of the add-on). The crawler for example is not needed for a launch campaign, but allows to play the pre-launch-campaign scenarios.
Well, I guess the SSRMS and Crawler are pretty much it, unless you have some plans for the VAB.

Quote:
 VAFB would also not be needed for a minimal SSU, if its included, it would be an extra as well.
Well, if we do include it in our release pack, it wouldn't be a requirement anymore. Not any more than SSU itself.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #18
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 There's no derived works. The only thing changed is replacing Usonian's static SLC-6 (all of the SLCs are built from standard static surface base objects) with ours.
I meant are we explicitly permitted by Usonian to also modify his add-on, when we distribute it by including it in SSU? That's important legalese. It also means we can replace parts of the add-on during development (like by your SLC-6) without betraying the intents of Usonian.

Quote:
 Well, I guess the SSRMS and Crawler are pretty much it, unless you have some plans for the VAB.
Well, I still have such plans, I am sure, you also have them. But we need to be realistic about our possibilities what we can develop in reasonable time between two releases.

Quote:
 Well, if we do include it in our release pack, it wouldn't be a requirement anymore. Not any more than SSU itself.
Yes, but then, if we wouldn't have VAFB scenarios, we wouldn't need it in a SSU release - we have some lot of options in our release strategy there. From releasing a big huge distribution to releasing a smaller one with limited scenarios.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 06-27-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #19
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 I meant are we explicitly permitted by Usonian to also modify his add-on when we distribute it by including it in SSU. That's important legalese.
Yes, he made a big point about that his Vandenberg AFB add-on was really meant as a base pack similar to SC3, something for others to build on. That's why all the SLCs are static. Usonian himself added SLC-4E and SLC-4W for the two Titans (II and IV).

Quote:
 Yes, but then, if we wouldn't have VAFB scenarios, we wouldn't need it in a SSU release - we have some lot of options in our release strategy there. From releasing a big huge distribution to releasing a smaller one with limited scenarios.
Well, we could go the SC3/MS2 route, essentially making SSU an "Shuttle Development Kit" (SDK). That would tie nicely into our plans for the Mission Creator/Editor.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Yes, he made a big point about that his Vandenberg AFB add-on was really meant as a base pack similar to SC3, something for others to build on. That's why all the SLCs are static. Usonian himself added SLC-4E and SLC-4W for the two Titans (II and IV).
OK, so everything is fine there.

Quote:
 Well, we could go the SC3/MS2 route, essentially making SSU an "Shuttle Development Kit" (SDK). That would tie nicely into our plans for the Mission Creator/Editor.
Exactly thats what its meant for. And we could also easier focus on identifying components of SSU that can be made independent modules and used for other "Ultra"-style add-ons. Which is also good for quality assurance.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #21
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Exactly thats what its meant for. And we could also easier focus on identifying components of SSU that can be made independent modules and used for other "Ultra"-style add-ons. Which is also good for quality assurance.
Other than the VAB and Crawler, not much can be used independently of SSU. The rest is just too shuttle specific.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #22
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 Other than the VAB and Crawler, not much can be used independently of SSU. The rest is just too shuttle specific.
Not from a software developers perspective. We have a pretty good start for a component model, that could get reused. We have solutions for solving some typical problems of more complex add-ons and we will have to solve some more problems in the future, that also could get useful elsewhere.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs