Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
markp
Orbinaut

Uploaded version 3.

The main problem I have had, and is persisting to some extent, is wobbly rotor animation. Hope to fix that in subsequent iterations of the addon.

Bug 1 in post #13 is fixed I think. There is now an option to decrease the amount of lifting gas in increments of 10 percent while in flight.

I coudn't think how to fix bug 2. I only get thrown up a few metres. Not sure it's worth trying to fix at this point. However I just thought of way that may fix it.

I'm sure there are loads more bugs in this version. Thanks for your help boogabooga. Glad I didn't release it straight to OHM.

HTML Code:
Could you include an option to turn off your wind? Airshiping is hard.
The wind can be turned off in the scenario by omitting the GUSTS option or setting it to zero. However I will add the possibility to turn it off while running Orbiter also in the next version to make things easier.
markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-28-2018, 04:38 AM   #17
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Ok, I tried it and it's a little confusing...

Does "q" still have a legitimate purpose, or is it a vestige now? It still gives a message on the HUD, but I can't tell what function it serves. From what I understand, you now use the hover thruster only and not the mains anymore? I recommend having "q" auto- configure the thruster angle between full forward and full hover.

It can get disorienting trying to understand the angle that the thrusters are in. The "forwards angle" "backwards angle" nomenclature is confusing, especially since full forward seems to correspond to "backwards angle 0." I think that is is very important for the pilot to know at all times what quadrant his thrusters are in without having look at the sign of the angle. Remember that Shuttle-A has an indicator with a visual cue for this. So you might want to give the information on the HUD like " Thrust forward-up 45 degree," "Thrust backward-down 215 degrees," "Thrust backward-up 125 degrees," etc. (i.e. Thruster angle is always positive from 0 to 360 with 0 full forward, 90 up, 180 back, and 270 down.)

Finally, I don't think that all possible engine angles are animated through 360 degrees.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #18
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

I've looked at this a little more and I now realize that the HUD messages just needs a full stop for better clarity.

"Thrust rotated forward. The angle is now X degrees."
Old 05-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #19
markp
Orbinaut

ok such a simple change for the messages! I thought I had muddled up the thrust directions in the HUD messages in the last version. In any case I have followed your recommendations regarding the messages in post #17 as that seemed like a good way to do it.

I have a new version and will probably post it tomorrow after I have updated the documentation. q is working properly now and the engines rotate 360 degrees.

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-30-18 at 10:17 PM ----------

Attached the new version of the airship to post #1.

There are now keys to rotate the engine to predefined angles of 0, 45, 90 and 135.

Gas is now vented in increments of 10 percent of total gas volume by pressing 2.

Shift-5 turns wind gusts on and off if gusts have been set up in the scenario file.

Hopefully messages on the HUD are clearer.
Thanked by:
Old 05-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Saw this:
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us...omponents.html

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Critical bug:

If you start at a thrust angle of 0 and "reduce" the angle with shift-3 down to 355 degrees, the actual angle increases from 0 to 355. This takes a long time and is very dangerous because it applies thrust in the opposite direction that the pilot intends.

I think you need to add a check to see which rotation direction requires the fewest degrees to traverse
Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #21
markp
Orbinaut

Thanks for the link and spotting my silly mistake in the code.

Lockheed Martin seem quite serious about hybrid airships. Looks like it could become a real thing in the future. I'll have to mention them in the documentation.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
markp
Orbinaut

Added some dust

Click image for larger version

Name:	dust_test.png
Views:	19
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	15898
Thanked by:
Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #23
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

I've been thinking about this. Is there a way to reverse hover thrust? If so, you would only need to traverse the engine pods through 180 degrees. You would also have reverse thrust ready immediately, rather than waiting for the pods to swivel.

Being able to use forward/reverse thrust was the best part of the early revisions as far as piloting, I think.

Also, would you be interested in discussing some airship physics?
(In particular, I don't think that venting the lifting gas would be a thing. This would:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballonet)

Also, I'll leave this here:
https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/sp..._Mars_Missions

Last edited by boogabooga; 06-06-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
markp
Orbinaut

Quote:
Being able to use forward/reverse thrust was the best part of the early revisions as far as piloting, I think.
That can easily be reactivated.

I have overhauled the code for animating the fan to prevent it wobbling when the whole engine is rotated quickly. It may not have been that noticeable because I had previously limited the rate of the rotation of the thrust vector. I had thought the wobbly animation was an insolvable problem (Orbiter bug?) but happily, after some experimentation, I found a solution.

The whole engine can now be turned at a rate set by the pilot. I have it currently limited to between 9 and 90 degrees per second.

Quote:
Also, would you be interested in discussing some airship physics?
Yes that would be good.

I think I'll change the venting message to reflect the use of a ballonet device. Or maybe some helium compression device like used in the Aeroscraft?

Quote:
Also, I'll leave this here:
Yes that's kind of surprising at first but makes sense after considering everything.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

1) Are you imagining this as a rigid airship or a non-rigid airship?

2) How are you imagining the propulsion system? It would work very differently on say, Mars than Earth. It seems to me that the endurance is very limited right now.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #26
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Now what if we also add a "ZR-3 Los Angeles" as rigid historic artifact to the park...

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9930086540.pdf

(Scroll to the end of the report for many drawings)
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #27
markp
Orbinaut

Quote:
1) Are you imagining this as a rigid airship or a non-rigid airship?
I am thinking of it as a non-rigid airship.

Quote:
2) How are you imagining the propulsion system? It would work very differently on say, Mars than Earth. It seems to me that the endurance is very limited right now.
Well for Mars I am assuming the engines are ducted fans like on Earth but spinning at ten times the speed like for the NASA Mars helicopter. I haven't looked into it in any depth though.

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8335/mars...rover-mission/

With regards to endurance I'm not sure if I have calculated the fuel rate to the engines properly yet. Also the fuel tanks might also have a bit of a low capacity which will be easy to modify.

Quote:
Now what if we also add a "ZR-3 Los Angeles" as rigid historic artifact to the park...
They were magnificent ... must have been so great to fly one.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #28
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp View Post

At least considering the technology back then. Some solutions had been really smart, still impressive that it was possible to cross the Atlantic with this one or fly 12500 km with minimum payload and all fuel tanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #29
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp View Post

When they weren't crashing and killing most of the crew, which the non-German ones did with alarming regularity (see my first post). Then a German one did crash in view of a movie camera and it was all over.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 When they weren't crashing and killing most of the crew, which the non-German ones did with alarming regularity (see my first post). Then a German one did crash in view of a movie camera and it was all over.

On the other hand, a crash of a German one in 1908 did actually start the Zeppelin company, by making people create the Zeppelin fund.

Also, using the Zeppelins in WW1 also did a lot there to advance technology on the German side. Quite many later improvements came from that short military career. But the citizens of London felt less impressed by seeing Zeppelins in WW1.

(But the German safety record depended largely on Hugo Eckener, who was often captain of the Zeppelins of his own company. When the Nazis came into power, they replaced him by loyal officers, who lacked the experience AND the focus on crew safety - the result was the Hindenburg accident, which was caused by a pilot error)

Last edited by Urwumpe; 06-06-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development