Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

You should consider leaving an option to follow the multistage2 guidance file as well, if it was provided.

Not all legacy add-ons were intending to go to low earth orbit.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 You should consider leaving an option to follow the multistage2 guidance file as well, if it was provided.

Not all legacy add-ons were intending to go to low earth orbit.
Sure: first step of all this project is to rebuild the Vinka's module as it is in order to guarantee the full retrocompatibility, which means also old style guidance fully functional.

I want this to be used for old addons without changing anything in the config files and to be exploited with the new features for the new addons!
fred18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 AM   #18
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

I want to update all the FOI rockets with Multistage 2015!
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #19
Interceptor
Orbinaut

Hi fred18, will this also have the effect of the Rockets exhaust getting wider as it gets into thinner atmosphere effect like the Jarvis.dll does?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #20
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
 Hi fred18, will this also have the effect of the Rockets exhaust getting wider as it gets into thinner atmosphere effect like the Jarvis.dll does?
That's in my mind... actually I'm a bit worried about it: on the Jarvis it was really difficult to implement it, but I think that I can try to add a simple scheme for that for a basic initial implementation.
It will be optional by something like

Code:
[MISC]
GROWING_PARTICLES = 1
in the ini file.

Anyway, feature added to the wish list!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #21
K_Jameson
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 That's in my mind... actually I'm a bit worried about it: on the Jarvis it was really difficult to implement it,
I'm against it: even after countless attempts, this effect was never entirely credible on screen during the Jarvis DLL development. I would focus on more concrete things.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

About the Jarvis DLL: I want to remember that this version is still a beta. I once had a list of various issues, annotated during a heavy beta testing session, long time ago. I never submitted this to Fred18 - that has a very busy life and is not always available for developing - and now that list is lost.

Now i'm in hiatus from developing, but I hope to resume soon my works. I have still some exciting stuff to finish and send out - Starlab, the interplanetary probes - and i'm impatient to restart my contributions. Because Jarvis (the multistage one) is somewhat a "son" for me - was my first FOI addon and the one in which i have personally spent more time and efforts with countless versions uploaded over time - i would be glad to update it with the brand new version of this interface...
K_Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #22
fred18
Addon Developer

Today's update:
- rocket builds up smoothly,ini file is parsed completely and correctly, thrust, weights, isp etc are computed and updated (also on staging/spawning events) correctly
- staging, fairing and payload deployments are working fine. Default vinka's values are guessed (tested also with a vinka and a ms2015 rockets side by side)
- delays in separations and ignitions work fine
- complete rocket process goes fine: autostaging, autoignition etc

Still to do for obtaining the vinka module:
- particle stream parsing and implementation. This should be easy. Difficult part is that it looks like vinka modue applies a default particle stream to boosters if not defined by user, therefore i will have to guess the proper default values
- atmospheric model: this is gonna be hard to guess, since vinka itself defines his atmospheric values as "arbitrary"... with the symple cylinder sections and implementation suggested by vinka i'm still low on drag
- default guidance system as it is now. Fun part starts here, i'm confident this won't take long

- after that is coded and working i'll publish it here for a bit of testing, while i'll start to implement the new features.

Cheers

Fred
Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #23
Face
Beta Tester

I totally forgot to ask a very important question: will you release it as open source?
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #24
jacquesmomo
Addon Developer

Hi fred18 !!!
A very good idea !!!

Face for "generic_vessel" and you for a new "multistage"...

Thanks to both of you, I'm waiting even if it take a long time...
(and apologise for my bad english, as i'm french)....
jacquesmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
boogabooga
Bug Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Jameson View Post
 I'm against it: even after countless attempts, this effect was never entirely credible on screen during the Jarvis DLL development. I would focus on more concrete things.
I disagree. I think it is really cool.

Perhaps you should change the particle color a bit to more red-orange when the expansion starts. But it is a neat idea, and gives a lot of life to the launch.

Last edited by boogabooga; 07-18-2015 at 03:25 PM.
boogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #26
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 I totally forgot to ask a very important question: will you release it as open source?
I will. It will be a bit embarassing: since i'm not a professional programmer the code sometime will look silly to the expert people, but I think that could be useful to everyone to have the code available for this. If i had the vinka one, now my life would be a lot easier.

@booga: relevant to the particles I'll leave it at the end and optional as mentioned, so first i'll finish the rest and then with the option everyone will be free to choose whether to have them or not.
Thanked by:
Old 07-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #27
Marg
Orbinaut

It would be cool if multistage for Orbiter BETA2015 would be available soon as well.
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #28
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred18 View Post
 It will be a bit embarassing: since i'm not a professional programmer the code sometime will look silly to the expert people...
This is totally irrelevant. If it does the job, no matter how bad the code looks in the end, the important thing is that the community will not lose it like it did with Vinka's.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:06 AM   #29
fred18
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
 It would be cool if multistage for Orbiter BETA2015 would be available soon as well.
The plan is to develop the orbiter beta version as soon as finished with the 2010P1 one. I need to work first with what i am confident and then, once everything is done and finished, to adapt it to the new orbiter. My plan is to finish the 2010P1 one within a couple of weeks, so before end of august having also the one for the new orbiter ready.

Let s see!
Thanked by:
Old 07-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #30
Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabooga View Post
 I disagree. I think it is really cool.

Perhaps you should change the particle color a bit to more red-orange when the expansion starts. But it is a neat idea, and gives a lot of life to the launch.
The red-orange effect you are talking about is only true for RP1-O2 engines. H2-O2 engines are nearly colorless, except for a blueish mach diamond at low altitudes. And I have no idea what the other 'historical' rocket flames look like at altitude. I suspect most are not red-orange.

Suggestion: May want to put some hooks in the code so that folks can hang a color on their flames as they expand. Make the default red-orange if you like, but make sure the users manual clearly states that the default is only appropriate for RP1-O2 engines.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Dantassii is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development