Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

General Questions & Help General & Advanced Orbiter flight questions, Orbiter installation questions, to all other help topics here.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
4throck
Enthusiast !

Voyager, This is free software and free addons done in free time. When was the last time someone GAVE you something?

If you want something that suits your specific needs there are only 3 options: do it yourself, pay for it (there is a commercial shuttle simulator), or hope that someone eventually does it and give it to you (unlikely).

As with all things, after a certain point of detail/scale of development you reach the limit of what you can do in the scope of an amateur project. Look at MS Flight Sim and the excellence of some of it's addons. It can only be done with payed work. As simple as that.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #32
Linguofreak
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
 Well you could of course use space shuttle ultra as already mentioned here, or you could also use the default shuttle!
Or you could just keep a 2006 installation around for it. It was already good practice to have a separate Orbiter install for Shuttle Fleet, and disk space can be had for costs measured in cents per gigabyte.
Linguofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #33
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
 Or you could just keep a 2006 installation around for it. It was already good practice to have a separate Orbiter install for Shuttle Fleet, and disk space can be had for costs measured in cents per gigabyte.
Hey, my 80 GB Orbiter partition is already full... OK, most GB are actually C++-compiler and library folder. But Orbiter can grow huge...just have enough temporary files in your development folders.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #34
ar81
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
 I could hack it, or I could just annoy David413 till he release's one. Either choice sounds good.
How about making you own shuttle fleet addon?
That wouldn't require a hack and that would make you popular here.
ar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #35
Tex
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguofreak View Post
Of course, but I think he meant what to do when you wanna play Orbiter 2010 with it.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #36
hutchison66
Donator
Default shuttle fleet

On orbit works so far but no launch problem I have is all my scenarios are with shuttle fleet so may go back to 2006 if he's not going to fix it why not release the source as its non profit and we would be eternally grateful PS was looking forward to collision detection
hutchison66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #37
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Ok, lets say David413 released the source code. What then? Will you be able to work with it? I don't see any of the "please release the source code" cult helping us in SSU. Why not?

Because if you could work with C++ code, you would be writing your own SSF already.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #38
Fixerger
Orbinaut

Thank you Dave for the final explanation. We will keep up our 2006 dirs to use your flawless addons... but also hope for a new generation Space Shuttle Ultra :-)
Fixerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #39
David413
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchison66 View Post
 On orbit works so far but no launch problem I have is all my scenarios are with shuttle fleet so may go back to 2006 if he's not going to fix it why not release the source as its non profit and we would be eternally grateful PS was looking forward to collision detection
No, on orbit isn't working 100%. Orbiter 2010 now intercepts "CTRL+X" and "CTRL+Z" for working the field-of-view zoom, so those two keystrokes that were previously used by the shuttle fleet would have to be re-done. I have no idea whether the AutoFCS will work with the new Orbiter since the atmospheric model has changed, and I don't have the source code for that addon. Two examples of things that would need changing (amongst all the others that I haven't even bothered to check on).

And what does it mean that I should release the source as its "non profit"? Even if I don't get financial compensation for the time spent, I have literally put hundreds of my own hours into the development of the fleet. I "own" the fleet in a sense, why would I just give it away? If you really want the source, I'll give you version 1.0's source. In fact, you already have it. It's the source code for the default Atlantis that comes with Orbiter. There you go. Start working on the new shuttle fleet from there.

Retaining 2006 is the only current option I support for Fleet expansion packs and future releases. It's what I run and will be using for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by David413; 06-09-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo.
David413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #40
IronRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David413 View Post
 I have no idea whether the AutoFCS will work with the new Orbiter since the atmospheric model has changed, and I don't have the source code for that addon.
as far as I've tested it, it doesn't seems to work.

Why wants everybody the source code? you can try to remake the shuttle but it will never as good as David made it. He put a lot of time in the version(s) that is/are already on O-H. Accept his choice, and shut the up

Last edited by IronRain; 06-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #41
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Can't be a too large change... the model mostly added the exosphere drag.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #42
David413
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Can't be a too large change... the model mostly added the exosphere drag.
Yeah, I thought of that. I'm considering an experiment, changing the default Atlantis to incorporate the necessary lift coeff. that AutoFCS expects, then trying to fly an entry just to see if the "off-the-shelf" AutoFCS will work. I don't have the source code for that, so re-compiling it isn't an option if it doesn't work, which would be another reason for me not leaving 2006 for 2010.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #43
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David413 View Post
 Yeah, I thought of that. I'm considering an experiment, changing the default Atlantis to incorporate the necessary lift coeff. that AutoFCS expects, then trying to fly an entry just to see if the "off-the-shelf" AutoFCS will work. I don't have the source code for that, so re-compiling it isn't an option if it doesn't work, which would be another reason for me not leaving 2006 for 2010.
Well, no problem then.

I am optimist, the development cycles of Orbiter have become long enough for you to change your mind about 2010 one day in the distant future.
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #44
David413
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 Well, no problem then.

I am optimist, the development cycles of Orbiter have become long enough for you to change your mind about 2010 one day in the distant future.
Good point, by the time the next version of Orbiter is released at the present rate, I hope to be retired doing a little teaching and working on software projects exclusively.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #45
n122vu
Addon Developer

Default Thanks for all your hard work on the Shuttle Fleet.

I have no problem running 2006 to use the shuttle fleet, as it runs well on my laptop, which is an older model, and also the one that I am using to learn to develop my own addons. I tried running Orbiter 2010 on this machine, but to get decent performance I have to limit it to level 10 textures, which in effect makes the visuals look just like 2006 with a fancier HUD, so I might as well stick with 2006 (on this machine at least). I'll put 2010 on my desktop and run the compatible addons there.

Thanks Dave for the fleet (still looking forward to the remaining expansion packs), thanks ar81 for the ISS Rendezvous tutorials, and thanks Donamy for letting Dave use and distribute your payloads. The fleet has provided me hours of enjoyment, and will continue to do so for a long time, no matter which version of Orbiter is released. Heck, I'll probably be running it in 20 years when Windows is abandonware and we have to run it in WINBox to get older programs to work

Thanks again.

Regards,

n122vu
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > General Questions & Help