Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #16
igel
Addon Developer

Decoys won't help in current configuration (unless you rename one of the decoys to your Gemini once you deploy it :-) ) - chasing is currently done by target's name. Great idea to consider for future, though - to target the brightest thing you can find, that does not have ID responder :-)

---------
Actually, when translating the manual, discovered that Polyot locks on target by pure proximity, not by name. Gee, I don't remember how my own addon works :-). So, decoy should work OK... if you manage to deploy it in a proper direction!

Last edited by igel; 04-23-2015 at 03:44 AM.
igel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
rseferino
Orbiter amateur filmmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 }Anyway, sounds like fun to try it against Gemini, bringing up some decoys or something.
Lot's of possibilities!
It will detonate if strikes a Gemini?
rseferino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
igel
Addon Developer

Yes, it will explode into pieces. It will also destroy the object it strikes. If that object is a third-party vessel, it will be simply 'deleted' from scenario. Whether the third-party vessel can handle such "external deletion" without crashing Orbiter, depends on particular third-party addon, but usually they don't pose any problems.
Thanked by:
Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #19
thammond
Orbinaut

I am having a problem with the scenario editor and the First in Space Sputniks. I am trying to add the Sputnik 1 vessel into orbit via the scenario editor with the Sputnik 2 scenario. In essence so I can have both Sputnik 1 & 2 in orbit at the same time after the sputnik 2 launches.

So I opened up the Sputnik 2 scenario and added sputnik 1 via the scenario editor. After I have added it and closed the scenario editor, I get an error message when I try to select the Sputnik 1 that I added via Cntl F3. Here are some of the error message details.

Microsoft Assertion c++ debug Library
Debug Assertion Failed
Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\vc\include\vector
Line 779
Expression Vector Subscript out of Range

I tried inserting the stock DG into the Sputnik 2 scenario with all the same parameters and it works fine. So the error seems to be something specific to the sputnik vessel.

Any ideas what is causing the error message?
thammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #20
igel
Addon Developer

I think I know what the problem is, but solving it may be not that straightforward...

'First in Space' and 'R-9' addons introduce a special notion of 'Mission' that is not present in the regular Orbiter scenarios. Mission combines a 'loose set of Orbiter vessels' that relate to the same... well, mission, to process and combine data that is common to all of them. This notion is implemented as a separate invisible Mission vessel at the top of scenario. Additionally, all known missions are listed in a special configuration file, referenced by parameter MissionsFile in the Mission.cfg.

When there is a single mission is scenario, everything is simple: all vessels compiled with VesselM library are by default considered part of this single mission. It is also easy to add a regular Orbiter (or any other non-VesselM) vessel, like Deltaglider, to the scenario.

However, when we have two or more missions in the file, or if just other additional VesselM vessels are present in the scenario (and this seems to be exactly what you try to do) - then all vessels for each mission need to be explicitly listed in separate MISSION parameters in the Mission vessel in scenario. For example of that, see multi-rocket scenarios in the R-9 addon. This is rather involving, and easy to screw up with typos... But without that, Mission vessel will add Satellite 1 to the mission of Satellite 2, and then will try to find its data in the Satellite 2 mission record, and will not find it, crash.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 PM   #21
thammond
Orbinaut

Ok, I kind of get what you are talking about, but lost me in the specifics. So I will explain what I was trying to do and let me know if there is a relatively easy way to do it.

I launched your Sputnik 1 add on and I was going to let it run until the orbit decayed.

Then I got to thinking that the real Sputnik 1 and likely the add on Sputnik 1 would not decay until after Sputnik 2 was launched. So why not try to make as real as possible and have both in orbit at the same time in orbiter.

So I let the simulation for the Sputnik 1 simulation run until it matched the start time for the Sputnik 2 scenario. I then paused it and recorded the orbital element parameters from the orbit MFD. Then I closed Orbiter and started scenario Sputnik 2 and tried to add Sputnik1 with the orbital elements I recorded previously. Which led to the crash.

Someone else in a different thread suggested adding Sputnik 1 to the Sputnik 2 scenario file with the orbital elements, but from what you described, I'm not sure that would work either.

I have learned a lot about orbiter in this process so even if it won't work out I consider this a net win for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
igel
Addon Developer

What you are trying to do is totally doable. Just not as easy as simply adding another vessel in scenario - more changes are needed... and they are undocumented yet :-(. I should be too busy this week to try to do it myself, but hopefully next week I'll be able to make such a scenario and post it. It may then serve as example on how to do this, and scenario customization will be documented in future.

I did not do it up to now because there is usually no need to "mix and match" the 'historical' scenarios. To me (just a personal approach) there is no much value in flying two vessels in space if they cannot interact (or even can't see each other at reasonable distance) - and that's what will be happening here. Yes, they will fly around Earth at the same time, but orbits will be so far away that minimum distance between won't be anything exciting ...

Interestingly, it may be worth checking the reentry time of the Sat 1 huge rocket stage - if it was still in orbit at the time of Sat 2, it was actually much more visible to ground observers than the small spherical satellite. Most people reporting to see the satellite were actually seeing the rocket... And, of course, it will be possible to have spent rocket stage in orbit along with the satellite 1 in scenario with the Satellite 2 launch.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #23
thammond
Orbinaut

Creating that scenario or even better documenting how to customize would be awesome.

I agree that what I am trying won't be anything exciting, but your last paragraph is precisely why I am trying to do it...because its interesting.

And to answer your question, the historical reentry for the core (block A) was 12/2/57 the reentry for Sputnik 1 was 1/4/58.

I am currently at 11/8/57 on the Sputnik 1 scenario and the block A apogee is at 941.4 and the Sputnik apogee is at 941.9. The decay rate is less than 1 km per day at this point. Seems like the core will go past the 12/2 historical date for sure.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #24
igel
Addon Developer

thammond - I just was able to test the "dual" scenario, and it worked for me, without messing up with Mission config files. Here's what I did:
1. Flew Sp1 into orbit, flew it for for some time there and exited;
2. Opened the auto-saved scenario, opened a copy of Sat2 scenario, and copied two vessels from first to second, with all parameters: Sputnik-1 and BlockA (did not care about the nose cone).
3. Extra vessels were placed at the end of the list, after the Launchpad;
4. I made two changes to the copied data: one optional another mandatory:
a). removed PLAY_SOUND entry for Sputnik-1 (the battery should have long died by this time... though it is not really modeled, and you can still activate beeping sound with P key);
b). renamed the coped BlockA to BlockA1, so it does not get confused with the original BlockA.

Here's what I got:

Code:
Sputnik1:FiS\Sputnik1
  UPDATERS M_TIMER_P1S, M_GROUND_WATCH, SP1_SND, 
  TIMERS_P1S M_PLN_ENTER_EXIT, M_ATM_ENTER_EXIT, 
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 3652408.80 4332635.71 3356818.43
  RVEL -6150.610 1533.699 4849.746
  AROT -13.40 12.23 15.89
  VROT -0.49 3.07 3.57
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
END
BlockA1:FiS\BlockA
  CONDITIONAL_SEQUENCE FltSeqOrb 1,1,1,1,1,
  UPDATERS M_ANIM, M_TIMER_P1S, M_GROUND_WATCH, M_ME_WATCH, 
  TIMERS_P1S M_PLN_ENTER_EXIT, M_ATM_ENTER_EXIT, 
  ANIM_CTRLS -0.000000,-0.931264,-1.000000,
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS 3652614.76 4332653.55 3356550.38
  RVEL -6146.660 1534.446 4844.446
  AROT -163.92 -41.10 -64.13
  VROT 36.34 -76.12 3.57
  AFCMODE 7
  PRPLEVEL 0:0.014694 1:1.000000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  SUBTYPE R-7
  ORBIT 7318000.000000 6599000.000000 1.136209
  TEMPERATURE 150.897124
  FLIGHT 0.650060 0.000000 0.000000 0.801461 1.105530 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
END
Flew Sputnik-2 without problem, and got nice dual tracks in Google Earth.

I am actually surprised it did not require changing the mission specifications. Was fully expecting it to crash. Maybe it just worked by accident... but give it a try first :-). If it does not work in your environment, I'll then try to explicitly split the missions in the scenario.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #25
thammond
Orbinaut

I finally got a chance to try out your latest suggestion and it worked for me too.

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2015, 03:55 AM   #26
igel
Addon Developer

Great news, thanks!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #27
RubberToe
Orbinaut

Whenever I try to launch the addon, it terminates due to critical error. Help?
RubberToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #28
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post
Going to need some additional information. What version of Orbiter, what scenario, do you have all the req'd dependencies. Are you using the inline or external graphics client.

Also does the Orbiter log file give any clue as to what is missing?
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #29
IronRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 Going to need some additional information. What version of Orbiter, what scenario, do you have all the req'd dependencies. Are you using the inline or external graphics client.

Also does the Orbiter log file give any clue as to what is missing?
FYI, you can find the log in the root of you Orbiter installation. It's called orbiter.log.
IronRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #30
andqui
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by igel View Post
 'First in Space' and 'R-9' addons introduce a special notion of 'Mission' that is not present in the regular Orbiter scenarios. Mission combines a 'loose set of Orbiter vessels' that relate to the same... well, mission, to process and combine data that is common to all of them. This notion is implemented as a separate invisible Mission vessel at the top of scenario. Additionally, all known missions are listed in a special configuration file, referenced by parameter MissionsFile in the Mission.cfg.

When there is a single mission is scenario, everything is simple: all vessels compiled with VesselM library are by default considered part of this single mission. It is also easy to add a regular Orbiter (or any other non-VesselM) vessel, like Deltaglider, to the scenario.
Thank you so much for these wonderful addons- I've been looking around and haven't found a clear answer- is there some sort of guide or API for how to create your own missions within this framework or customize the existing ones?

For example, first I corrected the inclination fo Molniya-1 to 65.5, found that correctly in the FisMissions configuration file. Now I want to change Luna 9 and 10 to launch from pad 35 (historical) instead of LC-1 (which is where they launch from in the supplied scenarios), and I can't figure out where I do that. The scenario file is totally empty of that information because it's handled elsewhere, and I haven't found documentation for what the different options are and how to manipulate things yourself.

As another example, off topic for this addon but relevant to the question at hand, I'm taking a look at the Soyuz TMA pack, and it looks really cool- but I want to be able to create my own missions with it, change launch times, target orbits, etc to simulate different historical Soyuz missions, and I can't figure out how to make that happen. Some sort of API or mission creation documentation would be wondeful.

Thanks
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments