Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #46
Hlynkacg
Aspiring rocket scientist

Nice work so far, but I still feel like it needs a little extra "bulk in the backside" the mainmounts still look like they're behind the COG.

That said nice job on making them proportional and look like they could actually support the mass of the spacecraft. The ridiculous single bogey mainmounts of the XR5 have always driven me up the wall.

Excellent work on the pheonix patch as well. I'm looking forward to further progress.

Keep up the good work and
Hlynkacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #47
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 JATOs ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
 how about RATOs?

No no, you're missing the point. The problem isn't that the engines are weak or that the runway is too short. The problem is that the spacecraft couldn't turn its nose up. No amount of speed would help out there.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #48
BruceJohnJennerLawso
Dread Lord of the Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingFury View Post
 No no, you're missing the point. The problem isn't that the engines are weak or that the runway is too short. The problem is that the spacecraft couldn't turn its nose up. No amount of speed would help out there.
A giant balloon? Helicopter blades?
Sorry couldnt resist.

If I might make a design suggestion, I think it would be nice if the XR-3 had its VC windows slightly longer than the XR-2 had, so as to give the pilot a wider field of view if he needs it. Nice work though .
BruceJohnJennerLawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #49
jangofett287
Heat shield 'tester'

Ahem, Gentlemen I have the solution. We simply build the runway with one end terminating at a very tall cliff. That would solve the problem of needing to pitch up. In fact if the cliff is tall enough it also solves any acceleration problems as well.

Unless the terminal velocity of the ship is so incredibly low the wings couldn't generate enough lift and the ship just plunged straight down onto the rocky desert below. But hey, small problems.
jangofett287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #50
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

What about simply building a massive hydraulic actuator into the main landing gear for pushing the nose up?

Also, as example, remember the Space Shuttle, which is much closer to the Phoenix in its aerodynamic configuration...

Again, the main landing gear is about one third from the aft of the space craft... or better: one third of the distance from CoG to Elevator.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #51
Hlynkacg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 What about simply building a massive hydraulic actuator into the main landing gear for pushing the nose up?

Also, as example, remember the Space Shuttle, which is much closer to the Phoenix in its aerodynamic configuration...

Again, the main landing gear is about one third from the aft of the space craft... or better: one third of the distance from CoG to Elevator.
That is a fair point but it is worth noting that the Space Shuttle never had to make a powered take-off. Did the elverons have sufficient authority to lift the nose at a reasonable transition speed?
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #52
elcpt
Orbinaut

The solution is a runway ramp like this one:
elcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #53
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlynkacg View Post
 That is a fair point but it is worth noting that the Space Shuttle never had to make a powered take-off. Did the elverons have sufficient authority to lift the nose at a reasonable transition speed?
That is correct, but the elevons are far from inactive after main landing gear touchdown. The FBW system still controls the shuttle until it has stopped. If you would put the landing gear too far back for that, the nose would simply slam down uncontrolled.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #54
Hlynkacg

Well ok then.

Just how much of the shuttle's mass was in the engines/OMS pods. (I'm just trying to visualise where the COG actually is)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #55
Urwumpe
Not funny anymore

Quote:
 Well ok then.

Just how much of the shuttle's mass was in the engines/OMS pods. (I'm just trying to visualise where the COG actually is)
A lot of it.

It is between X0 = 1080 and X0 = 1100 depending on payload mass, if you look at this drawing for reference:

Z0 is about 370 during all landings (+/- 2 inches)
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #56
Hlynkacg

Ok that makes a bit more sense.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #57
kuddel
Donator

Quote:
 That is a fair point but it is worth noting that the Space Shuttle never had to make a powered take-off
...but Buran did !
kuddel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #58
Ghostrider
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangofett287 View Post
 Ahem, Gentlemen I have the solution. We simply build the runway with one end terminating at a very tall cliff. That would solve the problem of needing to pitch up. In fact if the cliff is tall enough it also solves any acceleration problems as well.
That however could be a little dangerous. So, I say we launch the craft unmanned with the pilot following on a motorbike. Then, if everything goes well and the spacecraft goes over the cliff and in a dive, the pilot jumps as well and freefalls to an open port on the spacecraft, takes the controls and begins normal operations. Absolutely foolproof.

I say we call it the "Goldeneye takeoff"...
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #59
Loru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 ...but Buran did !
Yes, and Buran had 4 jet engines in the rear. XR3 will be similar in this manner as it will have 4 main engines on the back. Those thick nacelles will host mostly gear mechanism with engines far back. I may move main gear 1 or 1.5 meter to front since current fuselage/wing mesh is just reference for putting systems first.

Urwumpe: Thanks for Shuttle reference pictura and schematic. That will help a lot.

Hlynkacg: I doubt I'll be making those gear more massive. They're already bigger than in Shuttle.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

And with gear moved 1.3 meter to front I have 17.5 degree AOA maximum at landing

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Engine pods remodelled and prepared to integration with wing, gear stowed in place and added main engine nozzles
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #60
RisingFury
OBSP developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrou
I can't exactly see in the image, but does the landing gear fold back-to-front? When stowed, does the landing gear face forward? If so, I recommend you turn it around.

If it faces back when stowed, then it'll be a bit more forward when deployed - for the length of the landing gear.
RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development