Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #31
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Nice work so far Loru. I like the fact that it looks like an up-scaled XR2.

This maybe a question for Doug, but perhaps you know too. Is the concept here that this is a light lifter, or an extended duration XR1/2 class vessel? I ask because it seems the cut off point in the fleet is whether the cargo bay can take a TEU or not. The 1,2,3 can't, the 4,5 can.
wehaveaproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
Loru

It's a question for Doug but I think you can squeze 1 TEUs in it. I'd need to make a "trench" in the center but it's only around 20-30 cm deep.

Last edited by Loru; 07-01-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Loru is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #33
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

To clarify, XR vessel payloads are handled at the bay slot level. So while any Orbiter vessel (including a UCGO cargo) can be an XR payload, it is limited to one vessel per XR bay slot. Since the XR3 has twelve bay slots it could carry, by default, a maximum of 12 UCGO payloads. As such, there is no need for a trench in the bay.

The best way to carry UCGO cargos is to use an add-on like Woo482's
UCGO Cargo Platform
which allows an XR vessel to carry the maximum number of UCGO cargos that will fit in the bay. Versions for the XR2 and XR5 already exist, and Woo482 may want to write one for the XR3 as well.
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #34
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

cheers Doug,
Any further comment on my previous question: "Is the concept here that this is a light lifter, or an extended duration XR1/2 class vessel?"
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #35
dbeachy1
O-F Administrator

I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess it depends on the definition of "light lifter". I think of it as the XR2's big brother: it will carry up to twelve XR2-sized cargos instead of just three and has ~4.8 times the XR2's volume and mass. It will not carry a TEU, nor is it designed to, so in that sense it's a larger XR2 and not a "lifter".
dbeachy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #36
wehaveaproblem
One step closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeachy1 View Post
 I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess it depends on the definition of "light lifter". I think of it as the XR2's big brother: it will carry up to twelve XR2-sized cargos instead of just three and has ~4.8 times the XR2's volume and mass. It will not carry a TEU, nor is it designed to, so in that sense it's a larger XR2 and not a "lifter".
Cheers for the thoughts. I think she will warrant the creation of some more of the mini cargos then, to expand her delivery repertoire. You still got that... Jim Beams skin was it?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #37
Ark
Orbinaut

So are we looking at standard control panels like the other XRs?
Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #38
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

sounds like a great idea, somewhere between the monster and the private jet of spaceflight

i also had an idea for a useful cargo, how about a satalite, that can be configured from the XR3, then deployed where it has a number of configurations (not sure exactly what, perhaps choosing which instruments to deploy---read on), which can be captured rather safely and totally re-used, after a trip back to the earth to have its powerplant replaced and the space dust is cleaned off its lenses

will be great for launching supply missions to stations, will its crew capacity be similarly optimistic like the XR2? cramming 16 people into that small space was just asking for cabin-fever epidemics. how about accommodating fewer people in greater luxury?

also, are we talking about a similar range to the XR2? could we occupy half the bay with extra fuel and make a comfortable range to get to our favourite mooon baces?

so many questions, so little thread!

thanks, and keep up the great work!
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #39
Pipcard
mikusingularity

How about more people than the XR2, and a Crew Habitat Module in the payload bay?
Pipcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #40
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

you could indeed carry more people, i was just suggesting that the journey could be more luxurious (and extortionatley expensive) if fewer seats were put in, and they massaged the crew and nice things like that. besides, who ever uses sixteen UMMUs on a single journey in an XR2 except for killing as many UMMUs as possible? (or perhaps a very difficult EVA, with a large chance of burning to a crisp in the atmosphere)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #41
Loru

Progress on rear landing gear, and SCRAM tunnels are in place (hard to see as they're 1 sided faces:

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

and better shot:

Last edited by Loru; 12-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
RisingFury
OBSP developer

I suppose this is a bit of a bad moment to tell you that, but that landing gear is too far back. With the new Orbiter's ground contact model, the elevons won't have enough torque to push the nose of the craft up.

The landing gear should be close to the CG, but behind it. That'll ensure the plane doesn't tip back on its own and the the air control surfaces have enough force to turn it over. You'll have to resort to moving the CG back and the touchdown points forward.

The other very ugly cheap trick you can do is to extend the length of the front landing gear, so when the craft is on the ground, it sits at about 5 nose up attitude, so as it rolls down the runway, it already has an AOA of about 5. As the plane picks up speed, the wings start to produce lift and the effective weight of the plane decreases (that is, the force required to turn it).

The reason this trick is very ugly is because the engines will also face down - unless you vector the exhaust - and dig a trenches into the runway. It also makes for very difficult landings, as you're landing with a 5 nose up attitude, so I'd recommend you avoid that.

Pretty much all DG class ships suffer from that.

Notice how far forward the landing gear on the X-48 are. At least a third of the length of the aircraft is behind the landing gear and that way the control surfaces have a long enough lever to produce the required torque.

On the F-22, you can see the landing gear is about 3/4 of the length back, however, there's still considerable distance between the elevator and the landing gear. The elevator - the flying tail - is also huge and produces a lot of force, so the F-22 can afford to have its landing gear further back.

But in the case of the XR3, we're not exactly talking about a maneuverable fighter jet... It's tough to see where the landing gear is exactly, but I'd say 1/5 to 1/6 of the spacecraft's total length from the back...

Some more images:

RisingFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
Loru

I'll consult that problem with dbeachy1 - I can move it forward and in fact I was planning to to it - with my new modelling aproach (make systems and bulid fuselage/wings skin around it) it should be a problem

here is side view:
edit: actually they're around 1/4 total lenght from the back so it's not that bad at all

and logo:

Last edited by Loru; 12-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #44
Donamy
Beta Tester

JATOs ?
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #45
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

how about RATOs?

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development