Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Addon Development Developers post news, updates, & discussions here about your projects in development.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Izack
Non sequitur

That's pretty fine for a first release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 (there appears to be a limit in PM, subsequently UCD, that you can't attach a payload point beyond 999.99 M from CoG).
It's a billion metres long ??
Izack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #32
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izack View Post
 That's pretty fine for a first release!

It's a billion metres long ??
Not quite, but close. The Cortez is 6km long.
n122vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

Quote:
t's a billion metres long ??
I think he meant 999.99 m, not 999.99 M...

otherwise, close is not the word I would use to describe two orders of magnitude.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #34
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 I think he meant 999.99 m, not 999.99 M...

otherwise, close is not the word I would use to describe two orders of magnitude.
Yikes. Didn't even see that after the fact. Yes, 999.99 m, not M. Oops.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #35
n122vu
Addon Developer

Thinking about dialing down the specular reflection. Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
jedidia
shoemaker without legs

As far as I remember the show, there was some specular power on the shield plates, though not much, and practically none over the rest of the body. So yes, that would seem like a good Idea.
jedidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #37
n122vu
Addon Developer

I have observed the same. The more pictures and videos I see, the less I'm a fan of the way it looks currently. Will definitely be adjusting the properties. Thanks for the feedback.

**EDIT** Found a bug in the grav section animation where if you pressed K to stop the spin, it would stop spinning when the animation was back at the original mesh state, regardless of the rotation speed. This has been corrected.

It should be noted that the Cortez apparently suffers from the same bug, but it is less noticeable due to the circular-style design of its grav section, and so was not seen during my testing.

Will commit this change to the repository when I also correct RCS locations.

---------- Post added 02-05-12 at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-04-12 at 02:11 PM ----------

RCS thruster definitions are complete. I've also updated several ship parameters to be more correct with B5 cannon (ship mass, ship size). Will be committing these changes to the repository later today and probably uploading a package to the first post of this thread if anyone wants to have a look at where she is currently.

Things I still want to do in the near future:

- At minimal, 2D panel. Eventually, 3D Virtual Cockpit
- Implement Payload Manager support
- Spotlights illuminating the vessel name and EA logo on the side shields, as seen on the show.

Last edited by n122vu; 02-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #38
n122vu
Addon Developer

Should have committed before I started working on the panel. Told myself and told myself. Now I'm getting a CTD when pressing F8 on internal view. Oh well. Too exhausted from work to fix it this week. Maybe over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Changes have been committed, including the prelim panel code that is currently non-functional. F8 in cockpit currently causes CTD. All other functionality should be working.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #39
XeroZohar
Orbinaut

Gotta say, looking forward to this. Babylon 5 is my favorite Sci-Fi series, and frankly I never even thought to look for B5-inspired add-ons until just now.

If I might make a suggestion, perhaps skipping straight to the VC would be more interesting, both for the sake of immersion and so that you don't end up duplicating work in the long run. Unlike some of the other "pilot's vessel" projects out there, I don't see the 'memnon needing 500 buttons on a 2d panel. (Unless you want it that way of course!)

XeroZohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #40
n122vu
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroZohar View Post
 Gotta say, looking forward to this. Babylon 5 is my favorite Sci-Fi series, and frankly I never even thought to look for B5-inspired add-ons until just now.

If I might make a suggestion, perhaps skipping straight to the VC would be more interesting, both for the sake of immersion and so that you don't end up duplicating work in the long run. Unlike some of the other "pilot's vessel" projects out there, I don't see the 'memnon needing 500 buttons on a 2d panel. (Unless you want it that way of course!)

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to see there is still some interest in B5 ships out there. I'll take the VC suggestion into consideration as I'm always looking to eliminate duplication (and do the least amount of work possible)

In the meantime, if you're looking for B5 ships, you might head over to Orbithangar and check out my first addon, the
EAS Cortez

**Edit** Correction, my first DLL ship addon. My first real addon was the Jolly Rogers skin for the ol' DGIII.

Last edited by n122vu; 02-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #41
n122vu
Addon Developer

Just wanted to drop in and give an update. I have not had any further opportunity to work on the Agamemnon lately. Long work days, as we continue implementation of a new ERP system at my company, have left me not even wanting to look at a computer when I get home, let alone on the weekends (other than a little minecraft once in a while). That's not to say I don't want to work on this project. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just need some time in the evenings away from coding after staring at SQL and VBScript all day long.

Work will resume, eventually. I have a lot of ideas, things that I want to do better than on the Cortez. Regardless, if anyone wants to add/contribute in the meantime, the github repository is there.

Regards,
n122vu
Thanked by:
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #42
XeroZohar
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by n122vu View Post
 Just wanted to drop in and give an update. I have not had any further opportunity to work on the Agamemnon lately. Long work days, as we continue implementation of a new ERP system at my company, have left me not even wanting to look at a computer when I get home, let alone on the weekends (other than a little minecraft once in a while). That's not to say I don't want to work on this project. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just need some time in the evenings away from coding after staring at SQL and VBScript all day long.

Work will resume, eventually. I have a lot of ideas, things that I want to do better than on the Cortez. Regardless, if anyone wants to add/contribute in the meantime, the github repository is there.

Regards,
n122vu
Don't worry about it. I'm sure we've all been there at one time or another. Just get to it when the spirit (of Valen?) moves you.
XeroZohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 AM   #43
n122vu
Addon Developer

As posted in the screenshot thread, work on the project has resumed. Continuing to work on visual improvements at this point, focusing on reworking the normal maps and adjusting specular settings in the materials. Will post a few screenshots later of my progress.

Plans are to wrap up these improvements today or tomorrow then turn my attention back to coding the 2D panel. A virtual cockpit is planned for a future release but will not be part of the first version I upload to OH.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

As promised, a couple images of the progress on the visual improvement of the Agamemnon.

Here, a mostly-full-length shot of the Agamemnon shows the improvement of the normal maps and the specular reflection properties of the various hull materials.

Compare this to a similar shot from when normal maps were first added to the project:

Here is a close-up of a portion of the rear hull. I'm pleased with how much better this looks. I don't have a comparison shot for this one, but trust me, I probably didn't do a close-up for a reason.
Thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #44
n122vu
Addon Developer

After many busy months, I will soon have time to resume work on my Orbiter addon projects. Having said that, I have made the decision at this time to officially suspend work on the Agamemnon. With the upcoming release of OrbiterSound 4.0, I feel it would be best to go back and update the EAS Cortez to be compatible, and to also take better advantage of some of the features available in the D3D9 & D3D11 clients for that vessel.

There are just so many ideas I had for that ship that I honestly feel like I released it in an unfinished state. Plus, some of the new sound features available in OS4.0 will allow me to realize some of those ideas to an even greater degree than I originally hoped.

As a side note, if anyone would like to continue to work on the Agamemnon while I suspend my work, just let me know. The source code is available, and I can provide my updated meshes & textures. I am not asking for someone to hand it off to. I still want to finish and release this one. I just want to make it clear that if someone else wanted to run with it, I'd have no problems releasing my work to them.

Regards,
n122vu
Thanked by:
Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #45
n122vu
Addon Developer

So, nearly 7 years later, I'm picking this back up. I still have the code, but unfortunately the mesh work I did may be lost, so I'll have to re-familiarize myself with the tools and methods I used, or newer/better alternatives.

The good news is, I've managed to get the DLL compiled in VS2017 for Orbiter 2016, minus OrbiterSound and UMMU. Unfortunately, the centrifuge section isn't animating, mainly because clbkConsumeBufferedKey isn't firing. I'm still troubleshooting, but at this point I'm stumped. Here's the code:

Code:
int Agamemnon::clbkConsumeBufferedKey (DWORD key, bool down, char *kstate)
{
		if (!down) return 0; // only process keydown events	

//Start/Stop the gravity wheel
		if(key==OAPI_KEY_K&&!KEYMOD_SHIFT(kstate)&&!KEYMOD_CONTROL(kstate))
		{

if (gravwheel_run == 0)
			{
				gravwheel_run = 1;
				return 1;
			}

if (gravwheel_run == 1)
			{
				gravwheel_run = 0;
				return 1;
			}			
		}

return 0;
}
Since this code isn't firing, gravwheel_run never gets set to 1.

Pretty much identical to what the Cortez used (which I'll also be bringing up to 2016 compatibility shortly).

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Development