Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OFMM Discussions for the OFMM project.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #16
Scruce
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
 If I co-ordinate this new version of OFMM the first rule on the list is 'No development'. If it's on Orbit hangar it can be used but it's my belief that the original project got caught in a development hell state from which it never recovered and there is nothing as off putting for a developer than to have to meet a timeline.
I agree with this partially, OFMM was caught up by the huge meshing work involved (TMI stages, landers etc.), however there should be allowed 'five minute meshing', where extremely simple things could be made (such as the MSExP idea I posted above).

[/OFF-TOPIC]
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #17
Izack
Non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipcard View Post
 You know, there should be some unrealism in OFMM (e.g. XR2), like how XR5s are used in OFSS 3. That way, it's more accessible.
No XR5 please. It's a nice ship, but makes projects like these ridiculously easy.

Edit: Missed some posts; nevermind.

Last edited by Izack; 12-02-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
garyw
O-F Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruce View Post
 I agree with this partially, OFMM was caught up by the huge meshing work involved (TMI stages, landers etc.), however there should be allowed 'five minute meshing', where extremely simple things could be made (such as the MSExP idea I posted above).
If people want to do that and upload to orbit hangar thats wonderful. It may well then be integrated into the missions, however, I'm not waiting around for something to be built. This is not about that - this is about getting to Mars.

Now, back to roll call please.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
Wood
Orbinaut

Sure, I'll join in. I flew missions in both OFSS II and OFSS III and somehow managed not to kill everyone. And I can mostly use TransX, I even got to Venus once. Besides, how hard can it be, right? And I have too much free time. Umm, I guess my main concern about flying to Mars would have to be landing in completely the wrong place. However, we have time compression and quicksave, what could possibly go wrong?
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #20
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

I can do in-atmo work great, and can fly the TX, G-42, the XR2, and the DGIV with ease. Getting to orbit is easy, and I have lots of practice at that. Anthing else, though, I'm not very good at. If you need an airlift pilot for transporting stuff from a (fictional) manufacturing site to a launch point, I'm game. If it's docking stuff that's been delivered to a matching orbit, I good with that too. I will have to look at my schedule for computer time for next semester, though. It may be cut short.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
Samuel Edwards
Decidedly Cyclical

I could fly missions, if I'm permitted to use the DGIV. Could we use that as a fictional space craft?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #22
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Quote:
 1. What role you would like in OFMM (planning, meshing, flying a mission, etc)
2. What experience you have flying in LEO, to Mars, etc.
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
4. Can you commit to something that will go on for several months?
1. I love flying and i could help in mission planning, launch windows and trajectories. I have descent texturing skills and can do some meshing.
2. I can pretty much fly any ship and any type of mission I am given. My favourites are dv budget solving and precision landings.
3. My main concern was if this would need a lot of new addons to be made, but it was answered a few posts above.
4. RL is always unpredictable, but I think i can commit to this. If something comes up, i'll make sure to notify the ones that need to be notified.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #23
Woo482

Quote:
I'd be happy helping with both flying missions and planning / coordinating missions if needed.
Quote:
Plenty of experience in building stations in LEO and flying spacecraft to the other planets
Quote:
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
Only major concern would be the project getting caught up in development hell, though this is fairly unlikely to happen if we're avoiding dedicated add-on development.
Quote:
Absolutely, I should have at least a few hours a day free.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #24
andochoa
Orbinaut

Quote:
1. Love Flying missions and can help in planning (surface or orbital structures prerequisites diagramation), still no meshing.
2. Plenty of experience achieving orbit with horizontal take-off winged vessels, and some with vertical launchers, and just two STS to ISS dockings (my installation got messy and thinking of a new install needs its own time). Aligning, synching, docking, LEO, GTO, GEO, TLI, TMI, and IMFD. Earth and Mars Atmo Reentry with low G's and Temp's.
3. a) Real Life intrusions into ours scheduled flights. b) Development Black Hole eating every mid to big sized projects.
4. Yes, having in mind RL irruptions, the long run is guaranteed.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #25
Chub777
Orbinaut

Quote:
1. Flying a mission and possibly ground work (setting up the base, etc)

2. I'm constructing a station in LEO right now (and I'm part of OFSS III) so I guess I have a fair bit of experience in LEO flights. I can fly to the Moon and back (but I can't do free-returns yet) and I've flown successfully to Mars twice (but I haven't made it back to Earth...)

3. Earth Orbit Insertion. My periapsis is always ~30,000 km above Earth. This means I use a lot of fuel bringing the craft home...and there's also re-entry.

4. Yes and with the holidays coming, I could fly almost anytime I want.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #26
Xyon
Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional

I'm capable of doing most things flying-wise by virtue of "have done at least twice". However I have so ittle time to play Orbiter (or indeed develop for it) that those skills are becoming somewhat blunt.

However. planning missions and writing reports are things to do while let down by public transport. Those I can do fairly readily.

In terms of free time; I have significantly less than none at all. Any time I get on the PC is snatched away from other things and is something I'm not getting to do much. This means that on a day-by-day basis I can't really commit to being active, but in mostly independant "take this away and work on it when you get chance" ways I should be capable of putting my hands in here.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #27
River Crab
SpaceX Cheer Captain

1. I'm up for making meshes and textures, doing graphics and logo design, as well as flying docking, rendezvous, and orbital ops missions.

2. I don't have much experience with transfers, but I can manage rendezvous and docking reasonably easily. I have some experience station building.

3. Having the time to do it, and overcomplication. The failure of the previous OFMM was the lack of time of those capable of doing the large amount of development we had put before ourselves. Because the logistics were so complex and demanded for all-new addons, there was a lack of talent. Stagnation is also something to worry about; this can be prevented with good organisation, and I think the ISA-style structure will help a lot in eliminating this problem.
Some addons that have come out since then, like the Mars DRM, may help in minimizing development. But that's a discussion for a later thread.

4. Yes, especially over the holidays. RL comes first of course, but I can make time (who needs sleep anyway? )

And thanks, Gary, for your interest and leadership. It's very generous of you to take an organisational role, and volunteer your time and effort toward a project in which others have shown some interest but no investment.
Thanked by:
Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
tl8
Addon Developer

1. I am willing to create Lego dioramas of key events of the mission

2. I have a reasonable range of pieces that should cover any situation that I don't already have a model for. I have a number of models for my own space diorama.

3. I am worried about not having the right piece for the vehicle or having to disassemble a model just to show a point.

4. As I am on holidays, I can spend a reasonable amount of time constructing and photographing said dioramas.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #29
Izack
Non sequitur

Lego dioramas? Awesomeness just increased 200%
Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Krys
Resident Female

1. Rostering/scheduling etc (whatever annoying admin jobs people can't be bothered doing)
  2. Zip, nil, nada, nothing.
  3. Lack of motivation and mid-term goals.
  4. yes/no/don't know - with me, who knows when I'll land in hospital next!
Whilst I don't do much in orbiter - I feel that the project could benefit from a "mascot" i.e. someone to keep the motivation going and keep everyone sane (ish).
Closed Thread

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum > OFMM