Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

OrbitHangar Addons & Comments Addons uploaded at Orbithangar.com will automatically generate a new thread in this forum for comments. The thread link will also be included on the addons page.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
igel
Addon Developer

Thanks a lot for your interest, andqui! Yes, unfortunately, the "API" (which can hardly be named API) is not well documented, very 'experimental', and some desired changes may turn out not to be possible from just config files.

Yet, your particular changes are -luckily - quite simple! In the FisMissions.cfg file, in the missions lines for Luna-9 and Luna-10, simply replace B1-M field with B31-S. That's it! Like that:
Code:
Luna9  = LunaM, 39156.48000,182,247,51.6, B31-S,...
Luna10 = LunaM, 39215.45000,180,200,51.6, B31-S,...
This field changes mission launchpad from B1-M configuration (which stands for Baikonur Pad 1 - Molniya) to B31-S configuration (Baikonur Pad 21 - Soyuz). Mission will then tell Launchpad to select the proper pad coordinates and meshes combination. That's why this info is "missing" in scenario.

The only thing you'll definitely want to change in the launch scenario, when you change launchpad, is the Context field at the top. It should be set to B-1 for Pad 1 launches and for B-31 for Pad 31 launches. This seldom-used field tells Orbiter to skip the loading of the launchpad meshes in the corresponding Surface Base from "Historical Spaceports" addon. Because live scenario will load live Launchpad "vessel" with live animated (rather than static "landscaping") meshes.

Your last question, about new TMA missions, can be solved in a similar way:
- create new mission record in SoyuzMissions.cfg file based on TMA mission template;
- give it a new unique mission name;
- set liftoff MJD (second field in the record) to the needed date-time;
- copy a scenario file from the existing one;
- set its starting time a couple of minutes prior to liftoff time;
- change mission name in the MISSION vessel in scenario.

The filnal, hardest thing may be to place ISS into the launch orbital plane. I use Scenario Editor for that, and then copy ISS state vectors from saved scenario into my new launch scenario.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you encounter any troubles.
igel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #32
andqui
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by igel View Post
 This field changes mission launchpad from B1-M configuration (which stands for Baikonur Pad 1 - Molniya) to B31-S configuration (Baikonur Pad 21 - Soyuz). Mission will then tell Launchpad to select the proper pad coordinates and meshes combination. That's why this info is "missing" in scenario.

The only thing you'll definitely want to change in the launch scenario, when you change launchpad, is the Context field at the top. It should be set to B-1 for Pad 1 launches and for B-31 for Pad 31 launches.
Thank you, that worked perfectly, now I have Luna 9 and 10 launching from pad 31!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igel View Post
 Your last question, about new TMA missions, can be solved in a similar way:
- create new mission record in SoyuzMissions.cfg file based on TMA mission template;
- give it a new unique mission name;
- set liftoff MJD (second field in the record) to the needed date-time;
- copy a scenario file from the existing one;
- set its starting time a couple of minutes prior to liftoff time;
- change mission name in the MISSION vessel in scenario.
Thank you, I will try working on this next. I've made several scenarios intercepting different orbiting targets, that's not the part I have trouble with.

I understand these addons are labors of love and that there's no official API or anything like that- but do you have some list of valid launch pad names or parameters for making these scenarios, or even just an explanation for what each of the parameters are?

Code:
Luna10 = LunaM, 39215.45000,180,200,51.6, B31-S,LaunchSeq1,I,  Vostok,FltSeq3st,EndSeq3st,PitchSoyuz, Vostok, mAdMolniya,FltSeq,StartSeqNP,EndSeq,Pitch, StartSeq,EndSeq,MOON,0,FltSeqOrbit
For example, "PitchSoyuz", can I create my own pitch autopilot? What if I want to put a different spacecraft as a payload for Molniya? Etc etc etc.

Also, I love the way you created the Historical Spaceports Baikonur, I've had a problem with various conflicting addons making a mess in Canaveral and I'm going to try to redo all of that with your system so I have the Shuttle LC-39 replacing the Apollo LC-39 at the appropriate time, dummy base for a live launch, etc, it's great.
andqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 AM   #33
igel
Addon Developer

It is exciting to see a renewed interest in these rather old addons. My failure in not updating them for a long time... and in fact I am hoping to roll out some updates fairly soon! I also hope to finally bring the VesselM to a real API and finalize its documentation. If you PM me, I can send you an unfinished document for the "internals" and all these config files features. It will be for a newer, redone version, but the main principal is still there.

You indeed can do custom pitch programs and reference them in the mission. In the mission template (which is LunaM for Luna-9 and Luna-10, for example) some fields can be guessed from their names, like SBlockAPitch meaning "string value, BlockA, pitch program name). In the actual mission record, the value for this field is PitchMolniya. This name should correspond to a name of the pitch program in the corresponding (BlockA) config file (or in its subtype BlockA/Molniya config file). There, the actual pitch program consists of sections:
PitchProgramID = (section1) (section2) (section3)...
Where section consists of four values: (Type, EndTime, StartingPitch, EndingPitch). Types are CONST, LIN or PERI (the last one is special handling when approaching perigee), endtime is end MET of the segment, and angles are in degrees. Pretty simple, but sufficiently effective. Of course, in multi-stage rocket each stage has its own pitch program. I could go further, but even a severely unfinished manual is about 40 pages... just for overview of non-programming configurable features. It's massive...
Old 11-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #34
4throck
Enthusiast !

Looking forward for this.

While these missions don't have much flying (they are mostly automated), it's interesting to be able to run them. For example, how about sending Luna 9 to Apollo 17's landing site ? It's interesting to be able to try that with some amateur mission planning...
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #35
Gargantua2024
Orbinaut

Can the available meshes in this addon create a Voskhod rocket? Thanks in advance
Gargantua2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #36
igel
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 Looking forward for this.

While these missions don't have much flying (they are mostly automated), it's interesting to be able to run them. For example, how about sending Luna 9 to Apollo 17's landing site ? It's interesting to be able to try that with some amateur mission planning...
Yes, I understand that these missions are mostly "automated demos". Probably was more fun for me programming them than for you "playing" with them :-). But they turned out perfect for education/popularization uses!

As for Luna-9... well, it's accuracy is pretty much "somewhere on the Moon". Not really that much different from real missions - we still don't know for sure where she sits, not even with LRO. It's not until they started landing from orbit that they could pinpoint landing to a specific area.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargantua2024 View Post
 Can the available meshes in this addon create a Voskhod rocket? Thanks in advance
Voskhod rocket is actually the same as Molniya rocket (which is already in the addon). It only misses the Voskhod spaceship (which can probably be loaded f4rom some other addon) and maybe more custom payload fairing.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #37
Gargantua2024
Orbinaut

Thanks! Well there is one on this thread, but it only works in Orbiter 2006
Gargantua2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #38
clipper
Orbinaut

I don't have anything to add to the discussion but I just wanted to say how much I love your add-ons igel, and in my opinion after all these years they still remain a benchmark for historical accuracy in terms of spacecraft and scenario development for Orbiter and I think it would be absolutely awesome to see some of them in Orbiter 2016 one day.
clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #39
igel
Addon Developer

Thanks, clipper! This is very nice to hear!

...As for seeing them in Orbiter 2016... well, I'm afraid they won't be so "awesome" when you see it :-). I am trying to bring them over now, but only as bare minimum (so they at least won't be crashing the Orbiter)... and ground landscapes are busted beyond repair.
Thanked by:
Old 11-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #40
4throck
Enthusiast !

Just go with the default Orbiter 2016 terrain and place the launch platforms as best as possible....
Things have to start somewhere, otherwise it's egg and chicken. No updated terrain because no rocket uses the base, no base because we have no rocket!

Anyway, Fred has an easy solution to flatten the area around a launch platform, making 2016 work like 2010.
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...t=flatten+area
Perhaps you can look into it.

Last edited by 4throck; 11-07-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #41
jgrillo2002
Conservative Pioneer

There is one flaw with this addon. and that is Luna 3. the launch window and the trajectory arent exact to the actual mission. most of the attempts have the spacecraft too far from the Moon which I think makes a close flyby.
jgrillo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:06 AM   #42
igel
Addon Developer

I may have to check again, but no, it was not a close flyby. They had to fit the whole disk in the photo frame - that can only be done from quite a distance. So, while model trajectory might not be quite exact, the essential elements - New Moon, elliptical orbit, distant flyby, plane rotation, return to the Northern Hemisphere - are all in place.
Thanked by:
Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #43
4throck
Enthusiast !

To me Luna 3 seems consistent with the images. It's a good match.
Transmission also seems OK to me using the times here:
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/trackind/...una3story.html
Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #44
igel
Addon Developer

Yes, to me too. And I remember from my first impressions when I was implementing all these missions years ago... I knew the whole Russian space history quite well already, inside-out, but still had a few surprises. Knowing facts or seeing numbers is one thing but actually seeing and "feeling" things in 3D was... different. Two things back then had surprised me the most - how far behind Luna-3 had to swing to get the full hemisphere, and how severely underpowered Block E third stage was, comparing to both lower stages and to its contemporary Block I third stage!

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > OrbitHangar Addons & Comments