Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #2941
Cras
Spring of Life!

Got a chance to drop in the new R15 build and it does indeed fix the Shuttle Fleet animation issue. Thanks so much! Look forward to getting back from the holidays and have a nice long Orbiter session with the new build, see how the new features work and frame rate increases.

Cheers
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #2942
jarmonik
Beta Tester

New build of the Client for Orbiter 2015 Rev 9 is available form CodePlex.
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #2943
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Kuddel, nice work. Looks like the misplaced line causing the multi-threading error was responsible for a tile appearance problems. Tiles seems to render fine now.

Should we create a new vPlanet2 visual class for a planets having new tile format and atmosphere ? Or should we keep everything packed in vPlanet ? Having them in the same class might allow to mix old and new formats, like new surface with old cloud layer.

Regarding your visitor comment, I suppose having a .lib instead of .cpp for the OGCI works for me. The interface isn't meant to be D3D9 specific but that's unlikely a problem if the linking is done with GetProcAddress().
Thanked by:
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #2944
kuddel
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 Kuddel, nice work. Looks like the misplaced line causing the multi-threading error was responsible for a tile appearance problems. Tiles seems to render fine now.
You're welcome

Quote:
 Should we create a new vPlanet2 visual class for a planets having new tile format and atmosphere ? Or should we keep everything packed in vPlanet ? Having them in the same class might allow to mix old and new formats, like new surface with old cloud layer.
I have no preferences here. But can't we take the best of both worlds?
Main parts in vPlanet class additionals in a derived vPlanet2 class?
You only have to decide at instantiation time what class to create (if that's feasible).
But anyway, I fully support what you decide

Quote:
 Regarding your visitor comment, I suppose having a .lib instead of .cpp for the OGCI works for me. The interface isn't meant to be D3D9 specific but that's unlikely a problem if the linking is done with GetProcAddress().
I think I'll skip the idea. As nice as it was, it was not worth the (possible) problems when the user builds a debug or release build bringing up very strange linker warnings that no one can decipher...

/Kuddel
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #2945
DisposableUsername01
Orbinaut

For some reason I can't make the D3D9 client work in my Orbiter installation. Upon activating the module after launching orbiter_ng.exe an error message would appear:

"orbiter.exe-entry point not found: The procedure entry point ?oapiCreateFont... could not be located in the dynamic link library Orbiter.exe."

When loading a scenario, it loads in server mode (no graphics client). The error message appears again if I attempt to restart the program.

The DX9 runtimes are up-to-date and the GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 3000.
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
DisposableUsername01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #2946
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableUsername01 View Post
 For some reason I can't make the D3D9 client work in my Orbiter installation. Upon activating the module after launching orbiter_ng.exe an error message would appear:

"orbiter.exe-entry point not found: The procedure entry point ?oapiCreateFont... could not be located in the dynamic link library Orbiter.exe."

When loading a scenario, it loads in server mode (no graphics client). The error message appears again if I attempt to restart the program.

The DX9 runtimes are up-to-date and the GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 3000.
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Sounds like the client isn't compatible with the Orbiter version you have. You need Orbiter 100830. (i.e. Orbiter 2010-P1)
Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #2947
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default D3D9Client R15 Beta 2 for Orbiter 2010-P1

Here is a new release of R15. There are a lot of changes to the R14, so, this version should be tested pretty well before we can make it a recommended release and copy the changes to the Orbiter Beta Client.

Beta 1:
Quote:
- Shuttle Fleet animation issue should be fixed.
- Diffuse particle effects adjusted.
- Removed SM 2.0 shaders (i.e. DirectX 9.0c required now on).
- Cleaned up and optimized some shader codes to run faster.
- Proof of concept implementation of client interface and (DockingCamera MFD in sample folder)
- Experimental geometry instancing implementation.

I think the geometry instancing is the biggest feature in this release. Although, I am somewhat disappointed to the performance boost it's giving. So far, I have measured about +10-20% boost to the frame rate when I was expecting something like +50-70%. Of course, this can be a hardware dependent.

The instancing allows to render a multiple mesh-groups with a single draw call to the DirectX, reducing the draw call count down to one third. A small problem is that the rendering order of the mesh-groups are changed a bit, so, this can cause problems with some meshes. There are work-a-rounds for these problems but I am not sure if the 10-20% is worth the trouble. If that's the best it can give.

Currently:
- Normal maps must be disabled when testing instancing.
- Some virtual cockpit elements like MFDs are not yet working with instancing.
- Shadows are not yet rendering correctly.

- Normal Mapping, Shadows, MFDs and other things should be now fully operational with the instancing implementation.
- Virtual Cockpit reflections are disabled due to some bad unintended reflections from a windows.
- I have measured overall frame-rate boost from all optimizations of +40% to +90% compared to R14.
- The instancing will make some changes to rendering order of a mesh groups but it seems to be able to maintain the order pretty well when it counts something. I haven't noticed any problems so-far.

The instancing implementation is now pretty much finished, looking into the Orbiter Beta client next...
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientR15-Beta2.zip (862.6 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by jarmonik; 12-27-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #2948
DisposableUsername01
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Sounds like the client isn't compatible with the Orbiter version you have. You need Orbiter 100830. (i.e. Orbiter 2010-P1)
I forgot to update Orbiter 2010 to Orbiter 2010 P1. That solved it. Thank you for your attention.
DisposableUsername01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #2949
Mayo2017
Orbinaut

Kiitos jarmonik! Virtual cockpit reflections sure do look better without the extras.
Mayo2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #2950
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Default D3D9Client Beta 10 forRev 9.

I have noticed some odd kind of LOD flickering. Not sure where it comes from but it's definitely not present in Beta 8 for rev 8.

Here's a new build of the client. Martian atmosphere should be now working, some visual adjustments are still required.

High resolution texture packs 10_23 and 10_24 are required to produce the flicker issue.

Can someone test if the flickering occurs with D3D7Client. The inline engine seems to be working fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Flicker.png   No-Flicker.png  
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientBeta10-forRev9.zip (671.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: scn Himalayas In Flight.scn (2.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by jarmonik; 12-29-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #2951
fort
Orbinaut

Quote:
 Can someone test if the flickering occurs with D3D7Client. The inline engine seems to be working fine.
.orbiter2015_rev9
.D3D9ClientBeta10-forRev9
.EarthLo.zip 542.978 ko
.Latest high resolution texture packs 10_23 and 10_24
.new and first install
.all parameters by default
.XPSP3
.ATI Radeon HD 5450
.Full screen 1024 768 coulour depth 32 60hz
.Himalayas In Flight.scn

Not in D3D7 and not in D3D9 here.

Last edited by fort; 12-29-2014 at 07:27 PM.
fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #2952
kuddel
Donator

Quote:
 Can someone test if the flickering occurs with D3D7Client.
InlineClient : no flicker
D3D9Client : flicker (cloud 'tiles' flicker or 'shadow' disappears)
Attached Thumbnails
flicker01.jpg   flicker02.jpg  

Last edited by kuddel; 12-29-2014 at 09:54 PM.
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #2953
jarmonik
Beta Tester

It looks like the environmental mapping (i.e. Reflections) are causing the LOD flickering of some tiles. I think we can disable the reflections for now, until we have the basics in a better shape.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #2954
Cras
Spring of Life!

I noticed now that the latest version, the R15 beta 2 comes with planet glow tuned down to 0.700. Was planet glow tweaked in a recent version that requires it, because I had it over 1.000 going back to as recently R12.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #2955
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
 I noticed now that the latest version, the R15 beta 2 comes with planet glow tuned down to 0.700. Was planet glow tweaked in a recent version that requires it, because I had it over 1.000 going back to as recently R12.
Yes, it's tuned down a bit. It just doesn't feel right that the planet glow is as bright as a direct sunlight. I suppose we would need some kind of visual effect to create an impression of brighter sunlight.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient