Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Visualization Project Orbiter external graphics development.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #4441
PA328
Orbinaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 Reflections work just fine in R2.1.
Hmm. I created a texture "x.dds", I created a reflection map "x_refl.dds" , and I did not observe the reflection effect.
PA328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #4442
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA328 View Post
 Hmm. I created a texture "x.dds", I created a reflection map "x_refl.dds" , and I did not observe the reflection effect.
You need additional _rghn.dds map for reflections to work. It will tell how rough or smooth the surface is and therefor effects in a look of the reflections. Don't use _spec.dds map unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

_frsl.dds map isn't properly implemented and shouldn't be used.

Here's some more information:

https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...postcount=4338

(Dev Note: Maybe we should include that in a distribution)

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_E View Post
 Not sure if this is a documented bug or not, but with all clients for the official Orbiter 2016 build after R2-Beta1, the atmosphere looks like this (this is a clean install).
That looks awful. It that an installations problem or something else. Anyone else having that ?

Looks like the atmosphere configuration files might be out-dated or shader file is incorrect.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

I haven't had any luck getting the planetary labels to work in Inline nor D3D9. I might be missing label database files or something. It that publicly available ?
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 11-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #4443
DaveS
Addon Developer

Any updates on fixing this problem: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...postcount=4424
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #4444
GLS
Addon Developer

I noticed that, unlike in MOGE, when I zoom out "to the other side of the universe" and back, the vessel visual isn't destroyed and created... is this by design or one of those "unintended features"?
Using the latest version for Orbiter beta.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #4445
GLS
Addon Developer

Bug: the text cursor of the input box (Ctrl+R for example) shows up as an oversized black rectangle.
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:49 AM   #4446
kuddel
Donator

I am pretty sure D3D9Client (code) can not do much about it, as this is handled by Orbiter core oapiOpenInputBox resp. oapiOpenInputBoxEx function.
Why the cursor is white in Inline Graphics mode and black in D3D9Client, is beyond me
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #4447
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 I noticed that, unlike in MOGE, when I zoom out "to the other side of the universe" and back, the vessel visual isn't destroyed and created... is this by design or one of those "unintended features"?
Using the latest version for Orbiter beta.
It's an "unintended feature". I have no idea where the problem lies.
Thanked by:
Old 12-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #4448
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 Any updates on fixing this problem: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...postcount=4424
Just to get it out there, it seems this problem only affects the experimental "LensFlare" post-processing shader. "LightGlow" and "None" are unaffected.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #4449
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
The problem was investigated a while back and the shader seems to be working as designed. I guess we would need to implement a custom shader interface which would allow us to better address a problems like that.

Too dark (near black) appearance is due to diffuse surface attenuation that is applied to reflective surfaces. It prevents a user from over saturating a model but causes a diffuse color problems.

---------- Post added at 14:52 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote:
 Just to get it out there, it seems this problem only affects the experimental "LensFlare" post-processing shader. "LightGlow" and "None" are unaffected.
I have't done any work with the "LensFlare" shader and I haven't use/tested it much. It's more likely that a new (better) implementation of the "lensflare" effect is made rather than any pending problems related to current one are fixed.
Thanked by:
Old 12-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #4450
DaveS
Addon Developer

The atmosphere rendering, could of course stand some enhancements as we currently don't even have the proper sunset/sunrise effects down on ground level.

This video has a nice shot of Discovery at sunset prior to the launch of STS-103/HST-SM3A on Dec. 19 1999 at the 1:15 mark:

Also, is there anything that can be done on the D3D9Client end to address this issue with cloud microtextures?
Old 12-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #4451
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Quote:
 The atmosphere rendering, could of course stand some enhancements as we currently don't even have the proper sunset/sunrise effects down on ground level.

Also, is there anything that can be done on the D3D9Client end to address this issue with cloud microtextures?
The sunset/rise issue is a little problematic. Current shaders canīt do it properly. So, we would need a complete rewrite/redesign of the shaders.
I would hope to avoid that and focus into a more pressing maters.

Missing cloud micro textures should be easy enough to fix. Itīs on a todo list.
Thanked by:
Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #4452
Marg
Orbinaut

Recently I am seeing many games from 2011-2016 timespan...
Shadows are everywhere, DoF effects as well etc... and FPS's are good on my i5-4990, GTX760...
So vessel-vessel and vessel self-shadows these days would be very desirable.

Last edited by Marg; 12-26-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #4453
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
 Recently I am seeing many games from 2011-2016 timespan...
Shadows are everywhere, DoF effects as well etc... and FPS's are good on my i5-4990, GTX760...
So vessel-vessel and vessel self-shadows these days would be very desirable.
Speaking of shadows, need'em on particle streams as shown by this photo of the exhaust trail of the STS-108 SRBs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hshdyc0ues...D1786.JPG?dl=0
Old 01-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #4454
Ripley
Tutorial translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 ...I haven't had any luck getting the planetary labels to work in Inline nor D3D9. I might be missing label database files or something. It that publicly available ?
I don't know if you mean these (as Kuddel is already aware of that)...anyway I'll give it a shot:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...&postcount=408
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:05 AM   #4455
DaveS
Addon Developer

It seems like the sunrise/sunset coloring effects on the ground are in-op. The effects work fine when in orbit. This screenshot shows the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv44f7hr08...ffect.jpg?dl=0

Something else that could be implemented is surface light reflection. As you can see, the ground is very dark even with the sun still high above the horizon.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Visualization Project

Tags
d3d9client, graphicsclient