Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #7186
4throck
Enthusiast !

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
  Does anybody know of better sources?
This is a better version of the global map:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10795027@N08/

Explanation about processing here:
https://www.insaturnsrings.com/titan-seam-blending

Updated terrain is very welcome and there's good data for Mercury and Pluto/Charon on USGS.

Last edited by 4throck; 07-05-2018 at 07:46 AM.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #7187
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4throck View Post
 This is a better version of the global map:
Nice find. Unfortunately the license for the image is "all rights reserved", so I would need to get permission to use it for Orbiter. Does flickr provide any mechanism for contacting authors? There is a little email icon on the Ian Regan homepage, but that just dumps me to a Yahoo sign-in page.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #7188
MontBlanc2012
Orbinaut
Default Target practice with Delta Gliders

OK, so what's interesting about this? It's just a screen shot of two Delta Gliders rather unrealistically passing through each other.

Yes, true. However....

Each Delta Glider is orbiting at around 7550 m/s in orbital planes oriented at right angles to each other. As the Delta Gliders pass through each other, their relative speed is 10.67 km/s. The above image shows the instant of 'rendezvous'.

Fair enough, but so what?

Well, this was an exercise in Orbiter 'target practice' with the 'non-spherical gravity sources' option turned on.

The basic premise of this test is:
Each Delta Glider starts its trajectory 1,460 seconds earlier and a quarter orbit away. One Delta Glider starts its trajectory near the South Pole; and the other 90 degree away at a remote point on the Earth's ecliptic plane. The initial separation of the vessels is 10,000 km. Neither Delta Glider adjusts its trajectory prior to rendezvous - i.e., trajectories are entirely ballistic. The initial velocity of one Delta Glider (the 'chase vehicle) is set using basic theory such that a 'rendezvous' should occur with the 'target vehicle’ at a specific location on a specific date.
From theory (and theory alone), an Orbiter scenario was then set up to see if practical integration matches theoretical design. And lo! It does. Rendezvous!

(Hat off to *martins* for producing a simulator that emulates real Newtonian gravity with considerable fidelity.)
MontBlanc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #7189
4throck
Enthusiast !

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Nice find. Unfortunately the license for the image is "all rights reserved", so I would need to get permission to use it for Orbiter. Does flickr provide any mechanism for contacting authors? There is a little email icon on the Ian Regan homepage, but that just dumps me to a Yahoo sign-in page.

Try asking here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...dpost&p=240167

That forum is high level - many Cassini scientists are there - but the tone is friendly.
4throck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #7190
francisdrake
Addon Developer

Whizzing around the Saturn system, this photo-opportunity of the ring system came up. Saturn is such a beauty and Orbiter is the next best thing to being there!

The ship is a magnetized target fusion ship based on a NASA concept of Human Exploration of the Outer Planets (HOPE).
francisdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #7191
1987VCRProductions
Orbinaut

STS-63, the "Near-Mir" mission.
1987VCRProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #7192
N_Molson
Addon Developer

Quote:
Target practice with Delta Gliders
That's totally amazing ! I always wondered if you can dock 2 DG, one orbiting prograde, the other orbiting retrograde. Might be your next challenge ?
N_Molson is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum

Tags
screen, shots