Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Space Shuttle Ultra Support & development threads for Space Shuttle Ultra addon.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #2506
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 That shouldn't be too much trouble on my end, to add those segments. You're thinking of animating them like the ducts on the CISS? It's should be the same general principle physics involved, so it would not look weird. Flex hose vs flex duct. and flex cable. The flex cables that should move on the Ku band DA are in fact already segmented (I have redone all of the external cabling to match actual photos).
The CISS was much simpler.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

New pad versions are now available!
GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #2507
GLS
Addon Developer

This is itching me so I have to ask: currently the area on top of the wing behind the RCC panels has the texture showing with quite a distortion.... so how did it look "good" before? Was the texture stretched in that area? Or will the new texture need to be stretched? It looks to me like the XYZ points moved, but the UV mapping remained the same...
I just want to be sure that we are making the mapping with the UV coordinates and not by shifting parts of the texture so it looks good.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I just took a quick look at the UV coordinates and for most of the Orbiter.msh they are like this: "0.278788 -0.633113" which, yes works but, why not use the 0.0-1.0 range???
Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #2508
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
 This is itching me so I have to ask: currently the area on top of the wing behind the RCC panels has the texture showing with quite a distortion.... so how did it look "good" before? Was the texture stretched in that area? Or will the new texture need to be stretched? It looks to me like the XYZ points moved, but the UV mapping remained the same...
I just want to be sure that we are making the mapping with the UV coordinates and not by shifting parts of the texture so it looks good.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I just took a quick look at the UV coordinates and for most of the Orbiter.msh they are like this: "0.278788 -0.633113" which, yes works but, why not use the 0.0-1.0 range???
I think DaveS said he fixed the issue but for some reason he has not checked in the new meshes...
I ve done my best to change the textures to fit the mesh in all other areas (mainly the vertical stabilizer and the FRCS module).
The new textures for all orbiter variants were ready to be released but in light of the new shuttle TPS schemes that Dave posted I am now back to work fixing some details that were missing before.
The textures are almost done and I am confident I will release them soon on OH.

PS: the wing textures in the affected area were never changed BTW. I have no idea why the distortion popped up recently. Same for the side hatch issue; it had been fixed and the suddenly we got it back again...

Last edited by Wolf; 06-09-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #2509
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
 I think DaveS said he fixed the issue but for some reason he has not checked in the new meshes...
I ve done my best to change the textures to fit the mesh in all other areas (mainly the vertical stabilizer and the FRCS module).
Yes, if the general shape of some parts changed, then the texture also has to be changed, but that's it. IMO, distortions are 100% a UV issue.

Quote:
 The textures are almost done and I am confident I will release them soon on OH.
No point in releasing before SSU 5.0 is out (which should also be soon).
Old 06-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #2510
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
 No point in releasing before SSU 5.0 is out (which should also be soon).
For sure I would like to check them against the new mesh which should include the wing distortion fix before release, but thatís not my call
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #2511
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 For sure I would like to check them against the new mesh which should include the wing distortion fix before release, but thatís not my call
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tile missalignment visible on the center of the tail, on image 6 in your thread, is a result of wrong mapping?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #2512
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
 Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tile missalignment visible on the center of the tail, on image 6 in your thread, is a result of wrong mapping?
It could be. One thing though is that the two vertical stab textures are not perfectly specular. Initially I used the left one (horizontally rotated by 180 degrees) to get its right counterpart but surprisingly the tiles boundaries where the rudder/speedbrake inserts into the stabilizer did not match.
I had to edit the right side to fix this hence the two are not identical. Maybe this could be the reason why the leading edge black tiles are misaligned. Interesting to note though that they are the same on the real orbiter.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #2513
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 It could be. One thing though is that the two vertical stab textures are not perfectly specular. Initially I used the left one (horizontally rotated by 180 degrees) to get its right counterpart but surprisingly the tiles boundaries where the rudder/speedbrake inserts into the stabilizer did not match.
I had to edit the right side to fix this hence the two are not identical. Maybe this could be the reason why the leading edge black tiles are misaligned. Interesting to note though that they are the same on the real orbiter.
If you could post the textures once you are done with them, I could take a look at the mapping. Things would fit nicely if we eliminated the use of different textures for each side and used just one texture for both sides. AFAIK, only Enterprise had a mismatched vertical stabilizer TPS configuration and that was only in her original ALT configuration. The operational orbiters all had the same TPS configuration on both sides of the vertical stabilizer.
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #2514
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
 If you could post the textures once you are done with them, I could take a look at the mapping
Iíll do that
Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #2515
GLS
Addon Developer

One thing I noticed sometime ago, and confirmed just now, is that the vc mesh pokes out quite a lot in the fwd window frame area. I'm shifting the vc mesh to a better position so it looks better (not the "big" vc mesh, but only the simple one that is shown when in external view).
Old 06-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #2516
Wolf
Donator

Quote:
 One thing I noticed sometime ago, and confirmed just now, is that the vc mesh pokes out quite a lot in the fwd window frame area. I'm shifting the vc mesh to a better position so it looks better (not the "big" vc mesh, but only the simple one that is shown when in external view).
That would improve a lot the look in that area. Much appreciated, thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #2517
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 That would improve a lot the look in that area. Much appreciated, thanks
That is up! It isn't perfect as some small bits of the vc window frames still poke out (the vc and fwd fuselage have different shapes), but it looks good from almost all angles.

I also made a few more changes:
- fixed some issues with the SRBs;
- added altitude density calculation to the smart speedbrake, so KSC landings should be a bit closer to EDW (although it might not have the correct implementation);
- updated the manual.
Thanked by:
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #2518
GLS
Addon Developer

DaveS, you probably know "how to use" the Crawler, could you write some words on it, both for the manual, and also for me to know what it can do while I'm fixing it?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #2519
DaveS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 DaveS, you probably know "how to use" the Crawler, could you write some words on it, both for the manual, and also for me to know what it can do while I'm fixing it?
There should be document in Doc\Space Shuttle Ultra that explains the basics. Then there's this post: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showth...5&postcount=79
DaveS is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #2520
GLS
Addon Developer

Quote:
 After the new aerosurfaces updates I noticed the following: SSU scenario saved after ET SEP and post SSME dump; when the scenario is launched from the saved state the orbiter shows the elevons in full up deflection and rudder in full right. Any idea why is this happening?
This should (finally) be fixed in the latest revision.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Addons > Addon Support & Bugs > Addon Developer Forums > Space Shuttle Ultra