Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Web Forum A forum for general Orbiter-related comments and discussion. Post your questions about Orbiter and addons in the appropriate forums below. Upload your Orbiter screen shots to our gallery HERE!

Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
IronRain

Default The (official) Discord server now available!

Hi everyone,

Since about a year now, I've been using Discord as a way to communicate within various communities. I've seen the number of communities using Discord grow really fast, either as an addition or as a replacement for services like TeamSpeak.
Discord is a service where communities can digitally meet. This can go through both text-chatting, as through voice-chat. You can create categories, channels within the categories and there is a pretty in-depth role system for User Right management.
One other cool feature I like is the webhook feature to add some automation.

Because I couldn't go to work yesterday (snow \o/), I decided to create our own Orbiter-Forum Discord server.

So, without further ado, you can join the server here: https://discord.gg/ntVSCZQ

I've created some basic categories and channels and applied some simple roles to it. If you want to have a Category/Channel added, please let me know through a PM, either here or on Discord.
Please bear in mind that it follows the same Rules and Guidelines of the forum.

That's it for now! Please be sure to check out the pinned messages in the channels for information.

Again:
  • Official
  • This forums Rules and Guidelines apply
  • Contact me about Discord-stuff

Last edited by IronRain; 01-23-2018 at 07:51 AM.
IronRain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
IronRain

Some updates:
  • As planned, we now have some news-update bots
  • Also as planned, we now have some launch-update bots

Also, please try to use the same nickname as you have on the Forum. If you would like to have your name changed and you'd like me to do it; please let me know.

Last edited by IronRain; 12-18-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
IronRain

And another update:
  • The Orbiter-Forum Discord server is now official;
  • Added the OF Admin role and the OF Moderator role (well, Xyon did that one actually).

A note on the webhooks: the service I used (Zapier) rate-limits after some time. Therefore, before throwing money to them, I'm looking if I can migrate to another service. Because of that, the updates in the updates channels may not be completely up-to-date.

Last edited by IronRain; 01-17-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
IronRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRain View Post
 And another update:
A note on the webhooks: the service I used (Zapier) rate-limits after some time. Therefore, before throwing money to them, I'm looking if I can migrate to another service. Because of that, the updates in the updates channels may not be completely up-to-date.
They should be up-to-date again (from now on, at least). I decided to create my own integration, since I was looking to gain some experience with NodeJS anyway. The application is called Progress as it is designed to transport (JSON) payloads. The repo is open for anyone and can be found here.

One note though: I'm not a "real" developer, so the code is not perfect. Like I said, I did this project to gain some experience with NodeJS (I even have some Udemy courses on my backlog), and this seemed like a fun little project. I'm sure the code can be more efficient, so if you have constructive feedback, please let me know. I've created a Github Kanban board, which can be found here. The board will be updated with future additions, but this will be mostly behind the scene stuff.

You can also download the code here.

Last edited by IronRain; 01-23-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Thanked by:
Old 04-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
IronRain

A couple of changes:
  • News updates application moved to an Alpine container (instead of a Pi). Just a behind-the-scene thing;
  • New category/channel for OMP. Both text and voice (thanks to OvalDream for the idea);
  • IRC and Discord are now combined. Messages on Discord will appear in the IRC channel, and vice versa. Made possible by the one and only Xyon.
Thanked by:
Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Face
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRain View Post

• New category/channel for OMP. Both text and voice (thanks to OvalDream for the idea);
Is this meant for the Orbiter Multiplayer Project here, or is there another one?!?
Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
IronRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
 Is this meant for the Orbiter Multiplayer Project here, or is there another one?!?
THAT one.

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Web Forum