Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #24766
PhantomCruiser
Wanderer

I think SyFy started going downhill when they changed their name/logo. SyFy (?) really?
Science Fiction! Sci-Fi.

They dumbed down science fiction and this is what we get.

No more Stargate, although they really were starting to run out of enemies. Heros are only as good as the enemy to be overcome.
One Sharknado after another... [SARCASM] There's some high quality stuff there[/SARCASM]
WTH did they do to The Magicians? Similarities with the book nearly ends with the characters names and some locations.
PhantomCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #24767
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
 One Sharknado after another... [SARCASM] There's some high quality stuff there[/SARCASM]
I wouldn't complain about any Sharknado... but you can really only watch it in the "SchleFaZ" series (Schlechtesten Filme aller Zeiten = the worst movies ever) with all the nonsense and jokes around it.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #24768
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

We had a massive Tornado today, with one bad injury and according to the vast video evidence, a lot of people who had been really lucky. (Its really rare that somebody gets injured by a Tornado here.)

Despite the lot of dust - the worst damage observed was EF1 or less. Still dangerous enough.

Last edited by Urwumpe; 05-16-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #24769
steph
Orbinaut

There's a dash cam video on social media with a truck, emerging from some woodlands directly in front of the tornado. Ar that point, the truck just stops and doesn't back away,until it ends up engulfed in the outer circulation. The car doing the filming doesn't back out either. I guess some people just feeeze in such situations.

Yep, quite a lot of supercells lately. France had a strong-ish tornado a while ago as well. Not sure what warning system Germany has, apart from MeteoAlarm, which is pretty much useless for nowcasting these things, but it worked.

Last edited by steph; 05-17-2018 at 04:38 PM.
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #24770
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Well, if it was an EF0 tornado, the worst I've heard of happening to a car was when one came through my old town, lifted a car about half a meter into the air, blew out all the windows, and then dropped it back to the ground. Scared the ever living daylights out of the driver, but he got away with just a couple scratches.
Same tornado did rip some air conditioner units off the roof of some nearby warehouses and knocked over a fence, but that was the extent of the damage, as far as I can recall.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #24771
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickSawyer View Post
 Well, if it was an EF0 tornado, the worst I've heard of happening to a car was when one came through my old town, lifted a car about half a meter into the air, blew out all the windows, and then dropped it back to the ground. Scared the ever living daylights out of the driver, but he got away with just a couple scratches.
Same tornado did rip some air conditioner units off the roof of some nearby warehouses and knocked over a fence, but that was the extent of the damage, as far as I can recall.
It must have had EF1 strength somewhere during its Z-shaped course. A few mobile homes had been moved around.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #24772
steph
Orbinaut

Just saw some photos with the damage. Houses with missing shingles, none with the entire roof blown. That, and uprooted trees. Quite light damage, actually
steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #24773
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

A weather station has confirmed wind speeds of at least 223 km/h, making this a EF3 tornado, according to Wikipedia - but the damages correspond better to EF2 now.

In the more suitable TORRO-scale for Europe, its rated T5 now.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #24774
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

My old Honda is getting a rather Puckish sense of humor in its old age. I brought it in for inspection today after doing some repairs and generally giving it a good look over for an issues. The attendant did the inspection, OK'd it, and put a sticker on it, and pulled it out of the inspection bay. He got out with the car still running, door ajar, said everything was fine, and started commenting that it was looking great for a car with its mileage.

As I was talking with him, I glanced behind him and saw that my airbag light was on, definitely was not on when I rolled in. Drats....14 year old car, it *has* the sticker, should I raise the issue now? I decided to just get out of there, so I thanked him, jumped in the car (keeping myself between him and the light) and went home. Pulled the SRS code, good old 9-3, driver side seatbelt latch switch - a Honda thing with this generation. 2 minutes with a screwdriver and contact cleaner, all good. I wonder how many millions people have spent getting that light shut off at the dealership.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 05-18-2018, 04:22 AM   #24775
MaverickSawyer
Acolyte of the Probe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
 My old Honda is getting a rather Puckish sense of humor in its old age. I brought it in for inspection today after doing some repairs and generally giving it a good look over for an issues. The attendant did the inspection, OK'd it, and put a sticker on it, and pulled it out of the inspection bay. He got out with the car still running, door ajar, said everything was fine, and started commenting that it was looking great for a car with its mileage.

As I was talking with him, I glanced behind him and saw that my airbag light was on, definitely was not on when I rolled in. Drats....14 year old car, it *has* the sticker, should I raise the issue now? I decided to just get out of there, so I thanked him, jumped in the car (keeping myself between him and the light) and went home. Pulled the SRS code, good old 9-3, driver side seatbelt latch switch - a Honda thing with this generation. 2 minutes with a screwdriver and contact cleaner, all good. I wonder how many millions people have spent getting that light shut off at the dealership.
Far too much, Thunder... Far too much.
MaverickSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #24776
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Speaking of natural disasters, gotta love Hawaii. Golf, anyone?

Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags