Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Brighton Lounge General off-topic discussions. Political or religious topics may only be posted in The Basement forum.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #23581
Fabri91
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loru View Post
 In the last few months I've watched tons of volcano documentaries. Last night had proper realistic dream with super volcano eruption. TBH I wasn't even that scared dying in red hot liquid rock rain.
I'll suggest not ever visiting Naples then, what with the explody mountain right there.
Fabri91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #23582
Andy44
owner: Oil Creek Astronautix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidia View Post
 Toothpaste was missing this morning. While I do not wonder so much what nefarious powers might have gotten hold of it, I am worried what dark corners it might have been smeared into
Andy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #23583
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 Hm, similar thing in Russia, when it gets cold enough that lubricants freeze in the car engines and the plane tugs won't start (-50*C and below).
But even then people can just get out and push the plane into position, since the jet engines would still run fine.
Cold is so much easier to handle than heat...

YouTube
Yeah, just wait for mud season during the spring thaw...

---------- Post added 06-22-17 at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-21-17 at 08:16 PM ----------

Burned out from the end of semester, a little jaded about students and life, I walked into the mail room and found a beautifully written thank-you letter written by one of my students who just graduated last week.

I then returned to my office and checked email and got another email from one of my current students with pictures she took of some offshore wind turbines during her summer co-op. She was really excited and thought I would enjoy them (and I did).

Faith in humanity: restored.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 02:11 AM   #23584
Andy44

I thought I had heard it all when it came to conspiracy theories, the big ones at least.

You know, the JFK murder, the moon hoaxers, the 911 Truthers, and so on.

But I heard a new one tonight.

Being a movie buff and a big fan of Stanley Kubrick (of moon hoax fame, no less), I was looking up something I saw in the film Dr. Strangelove. The B-52 nuclear bomber crew receives an attack order message over an encrypted piece of radio equipment which is labeled "CRM-114". In this scene, the camera dramatically zooms in on the device as it sounds an alarm to alert the radio operator of an incoming message, and the name is clearly shown.

Knowing things in movies like that are often planted on purpose as a reference or an in-joke, I decided to look it up. Sure enough, CRM-114 shows up in several Kubrick films. several other films, and on a few TV show episodes.

But I also found a video in which a conspiracy theorist makes the case that it's all a part of secret messages passed by the Illumanati and the Hollywood elites and so on. Nothing new there, pretty standard CT stuff. As usual, the video has comments and ratings disabled, because people who post such nonsense really hate being called out on their BS. Aside from that, it's kind of a fun spooky documentary on the CRM-114 meme (pre-internet meme).

But the new one on me was the narrator's assertion that the Cold War was fake, and that nuclear weapons apparently don't really exist!

I must confess that one is new to me, although a quick search turns up quite a few hits. Wow, wonders never cease!

I won't post the video here, but if you go to youtube and search on "Unified Code Theory: Kubrick's CRM 114" it'll pop up. And, of course, there are also videos specifically dealing with the fake nukes conspiracy theory. Maybe when I'm bored I'll check one out.
Thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #23585
Ravenous
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
 But the new one on me was the narrator's assertion that the Cold War was fake, and that nuclear weapons apparently don't really exist!
I sometimes wonder if we exist. You know, when you're having one of those Cartesian Crises. (That would be a good name for a band by the way.)

Anyway Dr Strangelove is one of my al time favourite films, and I'd heard about the Clockwork Orange "114" reference too, but I wonder what the next conspiracy will be. I'm waiting for a "1138" conspiracy to start up (George Lucas and his favourite phone number, which he's used several times.)
Ravenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #23586
Artlav
Aperiodic traveller

You heard it here first - Soviet Union was a hoax perpetuated by American military–industrial complex in order to get the sweet, sweet budget money and control the population via fear. They orchestrated the biggest role-playing game named WW2 in order to maintain that hoax, up to and including fictional weapons.
Once that hoax ran it's course, they made a new one out of terrorists, <insert 911 conspiracy here>
Artlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #23587
Notebook
Donator

Re Andy44 above, usual cheap shot to show any Dr Strangelove stuf...

N.

Last edited by Notebook; 06-23-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Notebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #23588
Andy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlav View Post
 You heard it here first - Soviet Union was a hoax perpetuated by American military–industrial complex in order to get the sweet, sweet budget money and control the population via fear. They orchestrated the biggest role-playing game named WW2 in order to maintain that hoax, up to and including fictional weapons.
Once that hoax ran it's course, they made a new one out of terrorists, <insert 911 conspiracy here>
LOL, actually, I heard it first in that video I mentioned!

As for THX-1138, a quick search will turn up lots of conspiracy kookiness around that, too.

Basically, any kind of recurring easter egg placed in movies or TV shows, especially if it involves numbers, will trigger the conspiracy types.

For that matter alone, were I a movie-maker, I would sprinkle these things everywhere and enjoy the ensuing fun.
Thanked by:
Old 06-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #23589
Anroalh12
ETSII

(Orbiter 2016 with D3D9:Video:Advanced:Max Load on Frecuency) Has anyone ever put 10e6 Hz? (I wanna try it xd)
Anroalh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #23590
Thunder Chicken
Fine Threads since 2008

Spent the better part of the day working in the yard, edging the gardens, trimming trees, hauling rock, etc.. Wife went to the store before she went to work. When I came in to the kitchen and opened the fridge I found a sixer of nice cold beer and an uncooked sirloin steak the size of my head*.

This marriage thing is OK sometimes.

*She can't cook meat right to save her life, but bless her for leaving it for me.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Brighton Lounge

Tags