Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

MFD Questions & Help Post your questions here for help with the Multi-Function Displays.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

Default Any advice for a TransX beginner?

At long last I got bored to fly from the KSC to the ISS, and I decided to finally try my first mission to Mars (my first successful mission to Mars, I've done 2 others, once I messed up in the atmosphere and once I crashed at very high speed into the planet. I've done both with IMFD.). I've already successfully gone from LEO to lunar orbit, and from the Moon I flew to the Earth, but I tried an aerobrake maneuver with my PeA at 110 km because I forgot to correct my path...so I jumped back into space. Anyway, they were test flights to test whether I can use TransX, so it's...somewhat successful...

Some minutes ago I flew another test mission to see whether I can get close to Mars. Although my path was altered quite a lot because I went really close to the Moon, and I didn't do any MCCs because I had forgotten to take extra oxygen with me and I died along the way, I still got (IIRC) approximately 6 Gm from Mars, 6 million Km, which I consider pretty good.

So...do you have any advice from me? What tutorials I could use? I've already watched the video tutorials, by the way.

P.S.:I just changed my sig! I really hope they make a smiley for that.
P.P.S.:Everybody says the Shuttle is hard to get into orbit. I consider it to be easier to get there than the DG. Now I just need to prove that you can get into orbit with the SS with unlimited fuel on...I'll come back in a few minutes...

Please note: I've turned this thread into help for peteuplink (post no. 7).

Last edited by Rtyh-12; 12-19-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
helgeras
Orbinaut

The best tutorials I have found are the flytandem ones. They are extremely good in my opinion.
helgeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

try gettind numbers from IMFD then putting them into transx, and seeing how each one changes your path, then you'l be able to make your own plan and do whatever you want to do.

personally, i cant use transx, so i learned imfd instead :D
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Eventhough IMFD is a little bit easier to use, especially for single body to body transfers, i think that you'll find transX much more rewarding.

Flytandem has made many excellent tutorials (scenarios, playbacks and videos), which you can find here.

For IMFD tutorials and scenarios, check out
this
,on O-H.
Markl316 and Tommy have done a great job on the manual and the tutorials.

I first learned to use transX, (just scratched the surface, of what transX really is), then i learned how to use IMFD and then went back to get a deeper understanding of transX. (And i guess, after that, i'll go back to IMFD and try and learn all the secrets there too).

Now i almost always use both. Most of the missions i fly, have two instances of IMFD linked, and also transX on both left and right MFDs to see if they agree with each other.

When you are an Orbinaut, you sometimes set yourself up with some pretty difficult challenges. KSC to ISS was pretty hard to do, but as you said "you got bored" after you got that one down.

An Earth to Mars trip, though it might seem like an easy challenge for some of us, in real life terms, is something like this:
Quote:
(You are) trying to hit a golf ball in California hard enough, and accurately enough, to make it go through one particular window of a train arriving in Florida that much later.
Not bringing all the "weapons" at your disposal to face such a challenge, isn't wise.
So, my advise to you is to go ahead and read and learn as much as you can on any MFD you think that might help you achieve any goal that you set up for yourself. I hope the links above can help you get started.

Always have fun,
Happy Orbiting!
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Grover
Saturn V Misfire

Quote:
(You are) trying to hit a golf ball in California hard enough, and accurately enough, to make it go through one particular window of a train arriving in Florida that much later.
may i also add that as well as the incredible distance and small error margin available, the train is also going pretty fast as well... that would make a mess if it hit the food trolley

it is true, that interplanetary travels are perilously complicated and difficult, but with the right tools (and a lot of fuel) you can get there. IMFD is the basic tool, and transx is the amazing expert tool, that only those strong with the force can hope to understand.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
dgatsoulis
ele2png user

Quote:
IMFD is the basic tool, and transx is the amazing expert tool, that only those strong with the force can hope to understand.
No, not really. I can ensure you that the force is very-very weak in me... In fact... i don't even believe in the force.
I was lucky enough to be acquainted with Orbiter when both of these MFDs were around. TransX is in some cases much more user-friendly that IMFD. Sure, IMFD has an "AB" (AutoBurn) button, but the ONLY way you can check if that "AB" is efficient enough, is through TransX.

I don't want to turn this thread to a pro-TransX or a pro-IMFD one.
I 'm saying what i'm always saying: Take the time to learn BOTH!
dgatsoulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
peteuplink
Orbinaut

I could use some help with transx. I did find some video tutorials on youtube, but I found them to be a bit lacking as the guy demonstrating it goes too fast and doesn't seem to explain each step.
peteuplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Rtyh-12
Orbinaut

Thanks a lot for your answers! Also, I finally figured out the basic stuff and I already consider TransX easier to use. I've tried to plan a rough slingshot around Jupiter to Saturn, but I couldn't find the green cross screen, so I just quit. Anyway now I've got the idea! I think I'll turn this thread into help for peteuplink.

I started understanding TransX by watching Flytandem's video tutorials on Vimeo. First I watched the Moon-to-Earth one and tried to replicate it. Obviously I messed up on my first flight, but eventually I've done a rough approach to Earth. Then I looked at the Earth-to-Moon, then I've figured out how to go to Mars by myself. I've gone quite close to Mars and now I'm trying to figure out slingshots. I find TransX very easy to use after some exercise.
Rtyh-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
flytandem
Tutorial Publisher

The tutorials are set up with a building block approach. The first ones assume little knowledge and go fairly slowly. With the latter ones, I tried to move it along faster with less basic explanation, at risk of leaving viewers behind. I really recommend starting with the first video and fly it until proficient at it. Then move up to the next video.
flytandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > MFD Questions & Help

Tags
advice, beginner, flight, interplanetary, transx