Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Orbiter Beta Topics related to Beta releases of Orbiter and Orbiter development.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #241
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjo View Post
 But now you don't need to keep the original compressed textures (not to have to re-download) and the decompressed ones in the same time.
I know, I am already deleting it, since the original files are already on the external HDD. Still, I hope the next files are better compressed than this worst case.
Urwumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #242
jroly
Donator

It took just under 13 hours to process.

Earth 63.2GB -> 26.2GB
Moon 26.8GB -> 14.4GB
Mars 10.4GB -> 6.20GB

Total 100.4GB -> 46.8GB

Now time to press the del key
jroly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #243
martins
Orbiter Founder

Before you delete the uncompressed directory trees, could you give it a few tests regarding performance? In fact, if your hard disk space permits, it may be good to hang on to the original files for a while, just in case I need to make changes to the compressed format.
martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #244
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Does it even make sense to compress "Elev_mod"? Should be pretty disturbing for add-ons, am I right?

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

What I see the whole day long.... "adding node ..\Textures\"
Old 07-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #245
martins
Orbiter Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwumpe View Post
 What I see the whole day long.... "adding node ..\Textures\"
Every node counts ...

In fact, after having spent weeks on hand-painting elevation tiles around KSC, amounting to a pathetic handful of "nodes", I am beginning to appreciate just how much information is contained in those textures.
Thanked by:
Old 07-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #246
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins View Post
 Every node counts ...

In fact, after having spent weeks on hand-painting elevation tiles around KSC, amounting to a pathetic handful of "nodes", I am beginning to appreciate just how much information is contained in those textures.
What does the deflate-phase do?
Old 07-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #247
martins
Orbiter Founder

The "adding node" phase only builds up the TOC, while the "deflating" phase does the actual work of compressing the input file and appending it to the archive.

To be honest, it's not the most efficient way of building the archive, but I just wanted to have something working. Eventually I might come up with something more efficient (and add additional features such as extract and merge), but it wasn't a priority since most users won't have to do it, if the textures are distributed by archive anyway.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #248
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
 The "adding node" phase only builds up the TOC, while the "deflating" phase does the actual work of compressing the input file and appending it to the archive.

To be honest, it's not the most efficient way of building the archive, but I just wanted to have something working. Eventually I might come up with something more efficient (and add additional features such as extract and merge), but it wasn't a priority since most users won't have to do it, if the textures are distributed by archive anyway.
Oh. I always felt like adding node was the most busy phase, because my HDD is making noise, while the deflate phase is almost happening in idle. Was already wondering, what the hell it does so silently.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #249
kuddel
Donator

Quote:
 Oh. I always felt like adding node was the most busy phase, because my HDD is making noise, while the deflate phase is almost happening in idle. Was already wondering, what the hell it does so silently.
And that is the reason to pack'em into one file. The file I/O when "finding the file" is the bottleneck. Getting the data (sequentially) cannot be reduced; it has to be done anyhow.
As some other user mentioned earlier: just compare the time it takes copying the one compressed file with the time it takes copying hundreds of single files The amount of (net) data is the same.
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #250
Urwumpe
Certain Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddel View Post
 And that is the reason to pack'em into one file. The file I/O when "finding the file" is the bottleneck. Getting the data (sequentially) cannot be reduced; it has to be done anyhow.
As some other user mentioned earlier: just compare the time it takes copying the one compressed file with the time it takes copying hundreds of single files The amount of (net) data is the same.
Deleting the many tiny files is already annoying. NTFS isn't really effective for small files.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #251
kuddel
Donator

Quote:
 Deleting the many tiny files is already annoying. NTFS isn't really effective for small files.
I haven't deleted mine yet... Now I remember why I hesitated
kuddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #252
jroly
Donator

I did delete mine unfortuantly because I wanted to make sure Orbiter was infact using the archive. I did do some tests before I deleted and I didn't notice any difference, I used the senario "The Solar System".

I still have the downloaded zips thou so I can stil revert if need be.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Can someone else can check if Brighton Beach senario is working with the archive? The base and DG are far above the surface atleast for me.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #253
jarmonik
Beta Tester

Here's a quick build of the D3D9Client for Orbiter rev 56. It should have a support for a packed archives (tested only with low resolution tiles) haven't had time to pack the texture files yet. To test it, remember to set "Archive only" option from the control panel. Otherwise, it will use cached (uncompressed) files.

There appears to be a tile problem on the Moon, which has existed a long time already (Not a new issue). Anyone else seeing that ? or any ideas where it's coming from ?

There's a black line surrounding a tiles, which is a result from elevated tiles. (Lng, Lat) coordinates for the vertices are correct but the elevation isn't. I don't recall seeing that on Earth. Only on Moon and Mars.
Attached Thumbnails
Tileprob1.jpg   Tileprob2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip D3D9ClientBeta24-forRev56.zip (2.38 MB, 51 views)
jarmonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 07-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #254
jroly
Donator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmonik View Post
 There appears to be a tile problem on the Moon, which has existed a long time already (Not a new issue). Anyone else seeing that ? or any ideas where it's coming from ?

There's a black line surrounding a tiles, which is a result from elevated tiles. (Lng, Lat) coordinates for the vertices are correct but the elevation isn't. I don't recall seeing that on Earth. Only on Moon and Mars.
Havn't seen that for awhile. From what I remember the cause of it was were people need to update their textures. Since you are only using the lower resolution, maybe that is why?

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Quote:
 Before you delete the uncompressed directory trees, could you give it a few tests regarding performance? In fact, if your hard disk space permits, it may be good to hang on to the original files for a while, just in case I need to make changes to the compressed format.
Martin, good thing I did delete the cache files because there is a problem. After I deleted I noticed all the surface bases are way above the surface including the vessels. I copied them back in and they returned to normal, deleted again and they are back up there. The Elevation looks fine, but Orbiter is not using the archive to calculate altitude, so Orbiter still is using the cache even when set to archive. So you will not see this problem unless you delete the cache.
Thanked by:
Old 07-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #255
martins
Orbiter Founder
Default New Orbiter Beta Released (r.57, Jul 3 2016)

Change log:
  1. ElevationManager: now supports loading elevation data from compressed archives
Should fix this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroly View Post
 Martin, good thing I did delete the cache files because there is a problem. After I deleted I noticed all the surface bases are way above the surface including the vessels. I copied them back in and they returned to normal, deleted again and they are back up there. The Elevation looks fine, but Orbiter is not using the archive to calculate altitude, so Orbiter still is using the cache even when set to archive. So you will not see this problem unless you delete the cache.
Thanks. Forgot to add archive load support to the elevation manager class. Can you check if the latest revision fixes the problem? No changes to OVP. The D3D9 build posted by Jarmo above should still work.
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Orbiter Space Flight Simulator > Orbiter Beta