Orbiter-Forum  

Go Back   Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News
Register Blogs Orbinauts List Social Groups FAQ Projects Mark Forums Read

Spaceflight News Share news, stories, or discussions about government and private spaceflight programs; including ESA, ISS, NASA, Russian Space Program, Virgin Galactic, & more!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Falcon 9 will have a hotfire on February 22nd ahead of CRS-2, still aiming a 10:10am launch on March. This flight is scheduled to bring a HRSGF to the ISS and is to be attached to the MBS. I did some digging around, this looks like it's it according to our friend Space Pete. Posting if anyone is curious or wants to model this for an addon.

On a personal note, I should be attending this launch in person.

Last edited by Kyle; 02-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Donamy
Beta Tester

I don't see how it is attached.
Donamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
 I don't see how it is attached.
I'll ask around and see if there's an answer to that. I'm assuming you mean to the MBS correct?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Donamy
Beta Tester

No, I mean how does it attach to the trunk (looks like it's floating in there) ? It will probably be attached to the EE on the MBS.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Quote:
 No, I mean how does it attach to the trunk (looks like it's floating in there) ? It will probably be attached to the EE on the MBS.
Asked around and got a reply from Orbitnaut Pete (Space Pete on NSF.com)

Quote:
My first thought was that the HRSGFs are merely bolted inside the trunk, but since they will be removed entirely with robotics (i.e. no EVA), that can't be the case (unless they use Dextre to undo some bolts).
So in short, I'm unsure as to how it's attached to the trunk.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Donamy
Beta Tester

Maybe more light will be shed soon.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

Spaceflight Now: SpaceX launch week begins with static fire Monday
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

NASA News Release:
MEDIA ADVISORY : M13-037
NASA Coverage Set for March 1 SpaceX Mission to Space Station

Feb. 22, 2013

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The second SpaceX mission to the International Space Station under NASA's Commercial Resupply Services contract is scheduled to launch Friday, March 1, from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. NASA Television coverage begins at 8:30 a.m. EST.

The company's Falcon 9 rocket carrying its Dragon cargo capsule will lift off at 10:10 a.m. If needed, a backup launch opportunity is available on March 2 with launch time at 9:47 a.m. and NASA TV coverage beginning at 8 a.m.

The mission is the second of 12 SpaceX flights contracted by NASA to resupply the space station. It will mark the third trip by a Dragon capsule to the orbiting laboratory, following a demonstration flight in May 2012 and the first resupply mission in October 2012.

The capsule will be filled with more than 1,200 pounds of scientific experiments and cargo. It will remain attached to the space station's Harmony module for more than three weeks. The Dragon capsule will splash down in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Baja California on March 25, returning more than 2,300 pounds of experiment samples and equipment, which will be recovered for examination by scientists and engineers.

In advance of the launch, NASA will host a briefing on NASA's human deep space exploration progress at 2 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 27, at the agency's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. On Thursday, Feb. 28, NASA will host a mission science briefing at 1 p.m. and a prelaunch news conference at 3 p.m. All three briefings will be carried live on NASA TV and the agency's website.

{...}
Thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Galactic Penguin SST
Geek Penguin in GTO

The Falcon 9's hot fire test is apparently scheduled at 1:30 pm EST (18:30 GMT), less than 3 hours from now.....

BTW no webcast available...... but who wants to track a 2 second rocket engine roar?
Galactic Penguin SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Doesn't mean there's no video!
Falcon 9 is vertical!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
Orbinaut Pete
ISSU Project Manager

Quote:
As for how the HRSGFs interface with the Trunk itself, I have no idea. I thought maybe they were bolted in place, but since they have to be removed robotically, perhaps there is some kind of electromechanical latch. But I'm just guessing here.

You are correct that the two HRSGFs will be transferred to the POA on the MBS, and they will wait there until a US EVA in June/July, where each one will be installed onto a respecive radiator on the P1/S1 Truss.
Orbinaut Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Kyle
Armchair Astronaut

Falcon 9's hotfire occurred on time and was visually a success. Will wait for confirmation.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
orb
O-F Administrator
Ninja

collectSPACE: SpaceX's 2nd space station resupply flight gets two mission patches

The SpaceX patch with Falcon 9 in center was already presented earlier, but here's the other, CRS patch with Dragon in the center:
Thanked by:

Orbiter-Forum > Far Side of the Moon > Spaceflight News